IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New Plate for my F...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 07:59 AM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RecursiveL
And why do you worry about fishtailing? Just learn to drive like me.....
vid brought a huge smile to my face!
Old 08-26-13, 08:01 AM
RobRoy4
Driver School Candidate

I am not talking any RS, I am talking the 2014 RS6 with a world record top speed ON SNOW/ICE of 336.5 KM/h (209 MPH).

Yeah, Fishtailing like at the 4:56 mark of your video!!! *LOL* You are not even in snow!!! What a joke!!! Know your limits and the limits of your car, because on the road to Jay Peak, you have a 400' gully on the side that you just lost your rear end over. AAAhhhhh...... *LOL*

That said, the IS-F is a nice/tight ride on dry /wet tracks. It's not a family sedan. So we are comparing apples and oranges.

Some folks are taking offense to the thread/tone, so this will be my last post. No offense meant.

Enjoy your IS-F / Lexus and drive safe!

Lexus is an amazingly reliable brand.

Bear

Last edited by RobRoy4; 08-26-13 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Forgot exit statement
Old 08-26-13, 08:20 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You just bashed RecursiveL for showing you a video taking his car to the limit on a skidpad, then you say "no offense meant".........you make no sense. Take a video of you taking your S6 to the limit in snow......and post the video. I'd love to see it.

The ISF is a sedan, the S6 is a bigger overweight sedan. Majority of people on here got the ISF because they have a family, and at the same time wanted a performance car that was fun to drive. It's not apples and oranges. The S6 is overpriced, we all know that here. Many of us on here have track times, videos, and quarter mile times to back up what we say.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 08-26-13 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 08:38 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ROK
I wouldn't go so far as calling the RS cars a snooze fest. In fact, quite the opposite. They're as good as the ISF and the ISF is hardly a visceral car like an M or AMG. Let's not sound like an ISF fanboy, please.

And is the ISF really that rare? I hardly see C63s. Lesser numbers of any RS cars. I hardly see Panamera Turbo or GTSs. I see a ton of ISes just as I see C-classes. I live in an area that's rife with tech money.

And it's rare because it didn't sell well. Not sure if this is something to brag or bring up frequently in discussions.

It's an underdog car. Not recognized. Only matters to the handful of folks who want Lexus reliability with looks and power to back up the newly acclaimed F brand. I'm obviously one of you, but calling a spade a spade aka keepin' it real.
I have only seen 2 ISF's ever on the road besides the 3 or so at car shows. I see everything from Ferraris, Lambos, GTRs, Bentleys, Maserati, AMGs all the time, BMW M's all the time.

and I don't know what makes needing to ring the M3 out to 8k rpms to make 250 tq anything more special by being called visceral.
Old 08-26-13, 08:46 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

M3 has better steering feel. The engine is quite simply louder than the ISF stock for stock. The M3 also has a more sporting tranny setup. The world over recognizes this and ISF owners should as well as they highly likely cross-shopped the two vehicles and chose the Lexus because it's quieter, smoother, and better built bumper to bumper than the BMW.

And instead of relying on anecdotal bologna, anyone have the production numbers to compare? Say USA ISFs compared to M3s, C63s, and RS4s? Save for the very popular Bimmer, I bet you it's all comparable. Exclusive is the wrong word. Exclusive is LFA. Rare because it's truly limited production numbers wise and requires a net worth well into the millions of dollars in liquid assets.
Old 08-26-13, 10:55 AM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

lol @ how this has turned into an S6 vs. ISF thread even though it started out as "hey look at my new license plate." Welcome to the internets.

I'd be willing to bet that 95% of us have done a bit of aggressive driving on public roads that have caused another driver to shake his or her head. I rarely even put my car in sport mode, that's how calm I am on the roads, but just this past weekend, some racing-striped V6 Camaro with a guy who thought he had the fastest machine on earth downshifted behind me and then tried to pull a ricer-flyby. I let him get about even with my door, and then I flew away from him like he was driving a golf cart. Mind you, I didn't hit triple digits or do any crazy lane changes, but I'm sure if anyone else saw that whole exchange they would have thought "damn street racers!!!" even though it isn't true. I probably didn't even go more than 15mph over the flow of traffic, but it is just the appearance of reckless driving that gets you in trouble.

If the S6 owner has never in his life done that, then fine. If darbs was being an asshat and endangering people, then yes, he deserves the call out. But I think this was more about a guy wanting to brag about his S6 than anything else. By the way, the S6 is a nice looking car, and not a bad choice. It's not going 3.7s 0-60 though, unless the ISF does 3.6.
Old 08-26-13, 11:00 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
If the S6 owner has never in his life done that, then fine. If darbs was being an asshat and endangering people, then yes, he deserves the call out. But I think this was more about a guy wanting to brag about his S6 than anything else. By the way, the S6 is a nice looking car, and not a bad choice. It's not going 3.7s 0-60 though, unless the ISF does 3.6.
Quote of the day
Old 08-26-13, 02:27 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the situation in America, but in Australia I see 20 M3s/C63s for every ISF. I always wonder, did Lexus bother advertising this car at all?

Anyway, jokes aside, I think we should congratulate him on his purchase of the Audi and get back to normal programming. I think that was what he was after all along.....
Old 08-27-13, 03:07 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ROK
M3 has better steering feel. The engine is quite simply louder than the ISF stock for stock. The M3 also has a more sporting tranny setup. The world over recognizes this and ISF owners should as well as they highly likely cross-shopped the two vehicles and chose the Lexus because it's quieter, smoother, and better built bumper to bumper than the BMW.

And instead of relying on anecdotal bologna, anyone have the production numbers to compare? Say USA ISFs compared to M3s, C63s, and RS4s? Save for the very popular Bimmer, I bet you it's all comparable. Exclusive is the wrong word. Exclusive is LFA. Rare because it's truly limited production numbers wise and requires a net worth well into the millions of dollars in liquid assets.
So a car has to be 1/2 a mill to be rare? My friends G8 GXP is 1 of like 1800 ever made and 1 of under 200 red ones, with like half of those being a manual. So a 1 of like 100 car. Because it was under 50k his car isnt special or rare?
Old 08-27-13, 03:35 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
And is the ISF really that rare?
yes it is
Old 08-27-13, 07:36 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTigers
So a car has to be 1/2 a mill to be rare?
I think his point is that it's rare because it didn't sell well, as opposed to an intended scarcity due to something like a limited production run. In many ways I can see why the former is true (it's certainly happened before), but I disagree with the car lacking any character.

The 5 liter V8 with Yamaha behind it sounds outstanding, and says something about the dual personality of the car. I haven't had a person who's experienced it and a nice throttle-blip during a down shift, who didn't find it cool. Feel and actual mechanical performance numbers caught up and surpassed the M3 in some tests, so at least in that arena, it's mostly driver.

Honestly, the F has never lacked character or the visceral experience, in my opinion, but it doesen't have the cache (and Toyota/Lexus marketing haven't done enough to improve it). Many people continue to use alternative brands, because they've already established brand trends and it represents a go-to.

That said, the RS cars are pretty nice and I'm a fan. They're not without their shortcomings, but that can be said about any vehicle.

Oh, and nice plates, lol. Surprised that got through!

Last edited by Lets Drive; 08-27-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 07:46 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

ROK, I think you're trying to steer away from being a part of the "[insert car make here] fanboy stigma."
The isf IS a fairly fast, great sounding, rare, luxury-oriented, all-around balanced car (perfect to me, but that's my opinion). That's what it IS.

I agree that the steering of the e9x M3 feels more responsive than the F as well as the transmission is more connected (being DCT as opposed to DS auto)--however, F is fa Of course, styling is subjective.
And I don't even mind comparing the F to the M3/C63/RSx even though the F is the FIRST performance-oriented lexus vehicle. Its German rivals have been at that game for many years already.
And the Audi? You already said it perfectly: multiple trips to the vw parts bin.

On another note, I love darbs' plate

Last edited by JDMV8; 08-27-13 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 08:47 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I think his point is that it's rare because it didn't sell well, as opposed to an intended scarcity due to something like a limited production run. In many ways I can see why the former is true (it's certainly happened before), but I disagree with the car lacking any character.

The 5 liter V8 with Yamaha behind it sounds outstanding, and says something about the dual personality of the car. I haven't had a person who's experienced it and a nice throttle-blip during a down shift, who didn't find it cool. Feel and actual mechanical performance numbers caught up and surpassed the M3 in some tests, so at least in that arena, it's mostly driver.

Honestly, the F has never lacked character or the visceral experience, in my opinion, but it doesen't have the cache (and Toyota/Lexus marketing haven't done enough to improve it). Many people continue to use alternative brands, because they've already established brand trends and it represents a go-to.

That said, the RS cars are pretty nice and I'm a fan. They're not without their shortcomings, but that can be said about any vehicle.

Oh, and nice plates, lol. Surprised that got through!
I see that, but it can be rare for whatever reason. Ponitac was axed and the G8 GXP was not a priority anymore, or the whole car brand for a reason. Some decent mileage ones still command a premium on the level of the ISF (some are going for what they cost new) or more and the car was 25k less off the lot compared to the F.
Old 08-27-13, 09:51 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Love that simple F darbs, my tags have also sparked interest and comments, most of comment have been good.

New Plate for my F...-2012-05-29-17.54.42.jpg
Old 08-28-13, 05:27 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If he was driving alone down the highway i would validate a fly by but since i passed many cars that day with cruise set prob around 95...100 (my bad), Some times your just in a rush. i remembering passing your car thinking if your gonna drive that slow you should have bought a A6 and saved 25 grand. I am not impressed with audis line of speed at all. I tested an RS4 before i bought my ISF and here i am. My car has beaten every S & RS model that has tried along with a v8 R8. If you use your S6 to do more than transport kids maybe il see you at the track sometime as im there all the time, along with most of the road courses within daily travel restraint... Love to add a S6 to the wall of defeated... untill then Bear.

Last edited by darbs242; 08-28-13 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: New Plate for my F...