IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

LED parkinglights= Do you miss your highbeams?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 10:10 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED DRL's= Do you miss your highbeams?

I love the look of the LED DRL's, but don't you guys miss your highbeams??

I like having that option, driving at night to notify dumb people in my way and lighting up dark places.

Last edited by DCoolBeans; 09-18-11 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-18-11, 10:22 AM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

parking lights are different bulbs to highbeams arent they?
Old 09-18-11, 10:28 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct. Switching Parking lights won't affect your highbeams. If you switch your DRL then that will affect your highbeams.

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
parking lights are different bulbs to highbeams arent they?
Old 09-18-11, 01:10 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Sorry bout that.

I edited the first my question

Last edited by DCoolBeans; 09-18-11 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-18-11, 07:30 PM
dLad
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea if ur talking about the DRL, i have the led's....and i was leary about doing it because people said you loose your High beams. Technically you loose your high beams for really dark roads, in reference to the actually projection and strength of the light, however, when you put your brights on with the regular headlights/fogs on.....the led drl's go on and the fogs go off. As well as the stock headlights angling themselves higher. So the conclusion is.....if you want to flash someone to get their attention, you still can, people will easily see the difference because the led's still go on and the regular low beams angle themselves up. Thats even if the fogs are off. if your fogs are on, they will shut off when using brights, creating even more of a difference when using brights. Other conclusion is that you will not have the same strength of brights if you use the led drl's. I was recently on a windy road at night with no streetlights, and even though the brights aren't "functional" as people say....when i put on the brights, the angled low beam headlights in combination with the led drl gave me plenty of extra light. so, in my opinion, you dont loose your high beams as much as people say you do. my concern was not really the dark roads anyway. i've always used my brights to signal to other drivers to go ahead at a stop sign or to inform people their lights are either off or that they unknowingly have their brights on. LED DRL's are great and well worth it
Attached Thumbnails LED parkinglights= Do you miss your highbeams?-img_0176.jpg   LED parkinglights= Do you miss your highbeams?-img_0177.jpg   LED parkinglights= Do you miss your highbeams?-img_0178.jpg  
Old 09-18-11, 07:31 PM
dLad
Driver

acually=actual***
Old 09-18-11, 08:15 PM
buis02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dLad
yea if ur talking about the DRL, i have the led's....and i was leary about doing it because people said you loose your High beams. Technically you loose your high beams for really dark roads, in reference to the actually projection and strength of the light, however, when you put your brights on with the regular headlights/fogs on.....the led drl's go on and the fogs go off. As well as the stock headlights angling themselves higher. So the conclusion is.....if you want to flash someone to get their attention, you still can, people will easily see the difference because the led's still go on and the regular low beams angle themselves up. Thats even if the fogs are off. if your fogs are on, they will shut off when using brights, creating even more of a difference when using brights. Other conclusion is that you will not have the same strength of brights if you use the led drl's. I was recently on a windy road at night with no streetlights, and even though the brights aren't "functional" as people say....when i put on the brights, the angled low beam headlights in combination with the led drl gave me plenty of extra light. so, in my opinion, you dont loose your high beams as much as people say you do. my concern was not really the dark roads anyway. i've always used my brights to signal to other drivers to go ahead at a stop sign or to inform people their lights are either off or that they unknowingly have their brights on. LED DRL's are great and well worth it
I was wondering where you got your led bulbs for the parking lights. Also what size bulbs are they? Wanted to get rid of the stock bulbs I have.
Old 09-18-11, 08:35 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Thanks for those pics dLad.
You actually answered some questions I had
Old 09-18-11, 08:45 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Thanks for those pics dLad.
You actually answered some questions I had
Don't do it! first off have them shut off at your local dealer, it should be free or next too it, second DON'T do it! third DON'T do it it is illegal, and the vehicle will fail inspection, and, you loose your high beam headlights, I don't care what any person says on this forum, drl bulbs are NOT EVEN CLOSE to the factory high beam bulbs as far as output and brightness goes. And when you need them you NEED them! NEVER, EVER, PUT FORM IN FRONT OF FUNCTION!!
Old 09-18-11, 08:56 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ming15237
Don't do it! first off have them shut off at your local dealer, it should be free or next too it, second DON'T do it! third DON'T do it it is illegal, and the vehicle will fail inspection, and, you loose your high beam headlights, I don't care what any person says on this forum, drl bulbs are NOT EVEN CLOSE to the factory high beam bulbs as far as output and brightness goes. And when you need them you NEED them! NEVER, EVER, PUT FORM IN FRONT OF FUNCTION!!
Easy peasy lemon squeezy

I like my highbeams, I like the depth and brightness of them. I'm keeping em. I just wanted to hear some feedback on the LEDs
Old 09-19-11, 05:32 AM
Evilt78
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone devised a jumper to keep the highbeams? My ballast blew 3 days ago thinking of just upgrading both, running the cost of one through the dealer.
Old 09-19-11, 06:23 AM
Evilt78
Driver School Candidate

Hot damn way of track, sorry bout that
Old 09-19-11, 07:41 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ming15237
If you get the DRLs turned off by the dealer, will the DRLs be on when the headlights or parking lights are on while driving as well as when the headlights are off??

I got LED parking lights bulbs because I didn't want to commit to the DRLs and losing my high beams quite yet. I figured during the day my car would blend in more with normal bulbs. Then I would have "cool" lights at night with HID fogs and LED parking lights.. BUT the DRLs are on anytime you drive! If you are in gear and headlights are on, the DRLs pop on, same with parking lights.
Old 09-19-11, 01:12 PM
dLad
Driver

Originally Posted by buis02
I was wondering where you got your led bulbs for the parking lights. Also what size bulbs are they? Wanted to get rid of the stock bulbs I have.
i got them from ijdmtoy.com i am very happy with them
Old 09-19-11, 01:15 PM
dLad
Driver

Originally Posted by buis02
i forget the size off the top of my head...but look at my profile and it days the size for the DRL/High Beams....i think its 9005....and also....the parking lights are different...they are the really little lights that are on with the regular headlights....i changed those too so its not dull yellow like normal drl's....the size of those bulbs r on my profile too

Quick Reply: LED parkinglights= Do you miss your highbeams?