IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake pads for the everyday guy...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 12:07 PM
indyberett
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads for the everyday guy...

I know there are many threads on brake pads, but what I want to know is what is the best replacement for for the ISF for the everyday guy using the stock rotors...i.e. just a pad change?

I am about at the point I need to put some new pads one but not sure which ones. I don't track my car, but like to have an occasional street "battle".

I know that Napa has some stock replacements that seem to be ok. I think Hawk might also have a set too. I don't want to spend big bucks on pads for a purpose I will never use them for. I am doing the front this time and will do the backs in about 5k miles.

Also do you reuse the stock pad shims when using these other pads? Do you also use the anti seize or brembo lube when using these non stock pads?
Old 09-18-11, 12:52 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For my everyday driving. I got carbotech bobcats. Going on the car monday.
Old 09-18-11, 03:09 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Bobcats, Lexus or project Mu... if your never going to use your F for what its made for you could even put raybestos on it, 85 bucks not bad a brake dust and no noise but DO NOT ABUSE YOUR CAR ON BESTYS
Old 09-18-11, 06:16 PM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by indyberett
I know there are many threads on brake pads, but what I want to know is what is the best replacement for for the ISF for the everyday guy using the stock rotors...i.e. just a pad change?

I am about at the point I need to put some new pads one but not sure which ones. I don't track my car, but like to have an occasional street "battle".

I know that Napa has some stock replacements that seem to be ok. I think Hawk might also have a set too. I don't want to spend big bucks on pads for a purpose I will never use them for. I am doing the front this time and will do the backs in about 5k miles.

Also do you reuse the stock pad shims when using these other pads? Do you also use the anti seize or brembo lube when using these non stock pads?
You wouldnt reuse the stock shims, generally the new pads would come with them. Although the main purpose of those shims is to allow for good release from the brake piston because sometimes in places where it snows, the piston on the brake gets stuck to the pad from rust. But since you are in Texas it shouldnt be a problem.

Also I would use brake pad grease as well, it can do a great deal in minimizing daily brake pad noise.

I hope this helps you out!
Old 09-18-11, 11:17 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with newly updated stock brake pads which can handle street, canyon run or track. Perfect fitment, great performance but much less dusts than before (Well, not good enough to go for weeks ).
Old 09-18-11, 11:35 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The newer stock pads have less dust now?
Old 09-19-11, 12:24 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have any input on Stoptech brake pads? They a notable brand when it comes to brakes and the price is very appealing.
Old 09-19-11, 07:48 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carbotech bob cats do not come with shims.
Old 09-19-11, 08:59 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced StopTech with stock ones. They still have about 80% life left on the fronts and almost new on the rears after 10k miles. If you close by LA and can DIY, you can have them for free.

Originally Posted by cha7Li3
Anyone have any input on Stoptech brake pads? They a notable brand when it comes to brakes and the price is very appealing.
Old 09-19-11, 09:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Go with newly updated stock brake pads which can handle street, canyon run or track. Perfect fitment, great performance but much less dusts than before (Well, not good enough to go for weeks ).
I'd say this depends heavily on the track and the driver. They will melt at Autobahn or CMP if you're carrying any speed at all.
Old 09-19-11, 09:49 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

I have carbotech bobcats as well...but only on the front. The back I still have brembo stock pads b/c they did them for free under the TSB a while back.
Old 09-20-11, 12:25 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced StopTech with stock ones. They still have about 80% life left on the fronts and almost new on the rears after 10k miles. If you close by LA and can DIY, you can have them for free.
How did you like the StopTech when you had it? Just looking for a decent set for daily driving and the occasional spirited driving.

I work in Monterey Park and live in Fullerton so I'll be happy to take them off your hands.
Old 09-20-11, 02:15 AM
SExDEVIN
Driver School Candidate

Stoptech would be a good and cheap pads
Old 09-20-11, 05:57 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very happy with my Project Mu street pads. They're cheaper than OEM, dust less, and offer the same stopping power for my style of driving.
Old 09-20-11, 09:29 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

What's the part number for the newly updated stock brake pads? Are they Brembos also? This is the first I hear of these. I thought these only existed for the isx50.

Quick Reply: Brake pads for the everyday guy...