IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is it worth to upgrade isf suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 05:50 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's certainly what Lexus would like us to believe. Car and Driver went a LOT quicker at VIR with the 2011 setup compared to the 2008, to the tune of 9 seconds
I think you misunderstood my question... My question is since my 2011 has the upgraded suspension compared to the earlier models, how much "better" would my car be on the track if I had KW V3's installed? None, little, much??? Would I just be wasting my money?
Also and this may be a little off topic, but if I upgraded my brake lines to braided steel, would you make any other changes to the oem brake setup if you were doing 3-4 track days a year??? (I specifically want to know if I'm overtasking the oem brakes and need to upgrade ASAP. TIA!!!
Old 10-07-11, 06:23 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I think you misunderstood my question... My question is since my 2011 has the upgraded suspension compared to the earlier models, how much "better" would my car be on the track if I had KW V3's installed? None, little, much??? Would I just be wasting my money?
Also and this may be a little off topic, but if I upgraded my brake lines to braided steel, would you make any other changes to the oem brake setup if you were doing 3-4 track days a year??? (I specifically want to know if I'm overtasking the oem brakes and need to upgrade ASAP. TIA!!!
I'd suggest you track the car stock first. Then you'll have an idea what the limitations are with the suspension. I think you'll benefit more with wider tires.

SS brake lines are not necessary IMO. The only advantage you get is that the brake lines will maintain more consistent pressure because they won't expand much under track conditions. I think you'll do just fine with stock pads.

Terrance
Old 10-07-11, 08:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Stainless braided lines are a waste of money. You'll have no issues with the brakes if you turn off the stability controls before you get on track. You might want to change the fluid - that and the pads - that's all I've done and I've never had any brake issues with the stability controls turned off.

I also agree, take the car to the track as it is. It's still very good. The KW's won't make you any faster until you start getting fast. Car's aren't inherently fast, drivers are.
Old 10-07-11, 11:56 PM
Raffy
Driver School Candidate

I just had a set of KW V.3 coilovers installed a month ago. ride and handling are very very much improved. I'd like to see the IS F go head to head with an M3 with these on.
Old 10-08-11, 07:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The 2011 beat the M3 at the Lightning Lap. I'd say Lexus got it (finally) sorted out for VIR.
Old 10-08-11, 12:43 PM
AAM6906
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn i have a '10, guess i got screwed lol...at least i got the torsen diff........debating weather to do kw v3s or tein ss
Old 10-08-11, 01:58 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

As with any "improvement" or change in general you should see what you are lacking. A common problem I found with spirited driving my 08 was that the rear end wanted to tuck under compression and steer too much over uneven surfaces. In stock form it also under-steered like it weighed 500lbs heavier. With a few corrections to the rear geometry I was able to adjust the bump steer and shock leverage points and the rear feels perfectly predictable. Every driver is different and not all can handle rapid changes in steering and handling nuance.

I have a lot of gen1 IS owners buy all my links before they even know what they are looking for and the results are that they get a shop that does not know what they are doing install it and I have to dig them out of a weird alignment. Adjustability does not imply that you know what the proper adjustment are, only that you CAN adjust. You will still need to derive the feedback to plug into the adjustments, that means time with the current setup and a study of how it feels. Adjustment usually just gets people in trouble if they do not know what they are doing.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 10-10-11, 07:43 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Stainless braided lines are a waste of money. You'll have no issues with the brakes if you turn off the stability controls before you get on track. You might want to change the fluid - that and the pads - that's all I've done and I've never had any brake issues with the stability controls turned off.

I also agree, take the car to the track as it is. It's still very good. The KW's won't make you any faster until you start getting fast. Car's aren't inherently fast, drivers are.
When you say turn off the stability controls, do you also mean the traction control? (I assume you mean the "braking" these systems do automaticaly, to perform their function, is just putting more "time"/strain on the braking system?) What brake fluid do you use/reccommend? What brake pads do you use? I was thinking of changing mine to the Hawk HP plus or EBC yellow stuff when it's time for new brakes.... I've also seen some other brakes/rotors (not to mention lots of suspension options) on VIP Auto salon's website for the IS-F that I've not seen mentioned on this forum... Do you know anything about these othere "exotic" offerings from Dixcel (pads and rotors) and Endless (pads only) and some crazy cool looking but super expensive rotors from Super Now ??? Or do you or anybody else have knowledge/experience of the offerings from: Aragosta, DG5, HKS, ICode, RSR, Quantum, ST-Garage, and Tom's for Coilovers??? I honestly had no idea there were this many choises available for the IS-F until today when I stumbled on their website....
Old 10-10-11, 08:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Brakes are something you're going to burn up. If you are not competing (you're doing HPDEs), then it doesn't make any sense to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on brake upgrades because they're not going to give you anything more than what you get stock - except a very high replacement cost. I run at Carolina Motorsports Park fairly often. It's known as the hardest track for brakes in the Southeast. I've never had a problem with my brakes except the day I didn't turn off the stability controls.

When you turn off VSC, you automatically turn off TRAC.

I run Carbotech pads on the street and on the track, but I swap out the street pads for full race pads at the track. I would not even try to run CMP with street pads - it would be very foolish.

I use Brembo LCF in my brakes. It's not cheap, and you need to service it pretty regularly, but I've never had a problem with it. The truth is, the brand of brake fluid isn't nearly as important as making sure you've got VERY fresh fluid. Even the best fluid can be outperformed by bargain brands if it is old and at its lowest wet boiling point.
Old 10-10-11, 09:23 PM
kenysl
Rookie

how long should the stock suspension last and when they start to de-perform?
Old 10-11-11, 10:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I've got 56k on mine and at my last track weekend in June, everything seemed to be pretty much the same as the first one. I've been to 5 track weekends so far.
Old 10-11-11, 11:24 PM
ItsanF
Driver

IMO, unless you are going with some kw v3's, it's not worth it.
Old 10-12-11, 11:53 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ I'm not sure if I'd go ahead and replace the '11 suspension with KW just yet. I'd love to know the stock spring rate first. V3 is rated at 11 kgf/mm in the front and 7 kgf/mm in the rear. I don't think it's enough to dramatically improve the handling on such a heavy car like F.

Terrance
Old 10-12-11, 12:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

When changing to coils, the street driving habits of the F will immediately be "cleaned up"...

With that said, I drive 75 mile round trip daily..
Coils allowed me to solve the "bumpy" ride & I ride just a tad bit lower..

So when I hit tire treads on the FWY at 80 mph, I take them real good!!!

I probably couldn't drive my F daily on SoCal roads & fwys without a set of coils..

But that’s just my personal opinion...

I have tracked an OEM 08' & OEM 11'.
There is a difference in feeling, but none that will wow you for normal street driving.

I have never tracked my personal ISF with or without coilovers..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-13-11 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-12-11, 08:47 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait the kw spring rates are only 11k n 7k damn thats soft..the ride must be really soft after that.. does ne one know if kw will send out a stiffer spring rate with their coils?

Quick Reply: Is it worth to upgrade isf suspension?