IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My winter tire setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11 | 12:55 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Default My winter tire setup

It's that time of year again and for those of us with the IS-F as a daily driver, we are starting to think about the winter setups. I purchased the Bridgestone LM-25's on closeout from tirerack couple of months ago for a good price, only catch was they were all the same size. Anyways I ended up slapping on my winter tires yesterday because my summers were dangerously bald as I have far exceeded the manufacturer window sticker warning of 15k miles, my ticker reads 31k and some change. They are 225/40/19s... I know I know way too narrow out back, they are actually not as bad of a stretch as you would think. It looks funny because the fronts sit flush and my rears are stretched, but the car rides surprisingly much softer than the stock RFT Bridgestones. I have a short commute to work and the car doesn't get abused at all. Can't wait to upsize the summer's come spring.

Pix to come...
Old 09-26-11 | 01:33 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

nice pickup. i wish they had that closeout on my first winter. anyways if they are narrow it is actually better as the car puts more weight planted onto those tires, so you won't be sliding all the time. i have 18 all around as well. been good for me in the winter. i have the lm60 though. drive smart and you should be good but its a bit early to put on the winter setup but you gotta do what you gotta do. i'll be putting mines up in November when the temperature drops.

Originally Posted by nysupraman
It's that time of year again and for those of us with the IS-F as a daily driver, we are starting to think about the winter setups. I purchased the Bridgestone LM-25's on closeout from tirerack couple of months ago for a good price, only catch was they were all the same size. Anyways I ended up slapping on my winter tires yesterday because my summers were dangerously bald as I have far exceeded the manufacturer window sticker warning of 15k miles, my ticker reads 31k and some change. They are 225/40/19s... I know I know way too narrow out back, they are actually not as bad of a stretch as you would think. It looks funny because the fronts sit flush and my rears are stretched, but the car rides surprisingly much softer than the stock RFT Bridgestones. I have a short commute to work and the car doesn't get abused at all. Can't wait to upsize the summer's come spring.

Pix to come...
Old 09-26-11 | 03:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by nysupraman
...but the car rides surprisingly much softer than the stock RFT Bridgestones....
What tires would those be? The F never came with Run Flat Tires from the factory.
Old 09-26-11 | 04:28 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

I picked up some of those blizzaks as well. I ended up buying the cheapest 19s they had since the tires were half off.. I figured might as well get wheels/tire for nearly the same price as regularly priced blizzaks. I was debating trying to stretch them like you, Im curious to see the photos.
Old 09-26-11 | 04:58 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What tires would those be? The F never came with Run Flat Tires from the factory.
I guess it rode so rough I thought they were RFTs... my bad. Any high performance cars with RFTs? Also on a sidenote, anyone running nitrogen instead of air?
Old 09-26-11 | 06:15 PM
Silver88
Driver

I've run on the LM25s for the last couple of winters and they are good and barely have worn any. Don't be hesitant to run the stock sizes for winter too, handles fine and I drive in some of the worse winter conditions possible.
Old 09-27-11 | 08:12 AM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

will be running 225 45 18 xi2 on all four corners at the first sign of snowfall. had the same setup last year and it worked great. the back tires are super narrow, so no punching the throttle - youll get nothing but spin. the winter is the only time i drive the car in normal + auto mode.
Old 09-27-11 | 09:06 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Originally Posted by Silver88
I've run on the LM25s for the last couple of winters and they are good and barely have worn any. Don't be hesitant to run the stock sizes for winter too, handles fine and I drive in some of the worse winter conditions possible.
Definetly not hesitant to run stock sizes, just got a great deal on the set!

Originally Posted by ACEtheOG
will be running 225 45 18 xi2 on all four corners at the first sign of snowfall. had the same setup last year and it worked great. the back tires are super narrow, so no punching the throttle - youll get nothing but spin. the winter is the only time i drive the car in normal + auto mode.
It's so hard to resist... I realized the other day i can't drive in manual anymore and cant switch lanes as fast, and have to ignore the bullies on the road.
Old 09-27-11 | 09:19 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

i leave it on snow mode if the roads are icy and slippery. normal if its just snow.