IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Done the 60k mile Valve Clearance Inspection yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-18, 05:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

No definitely NOT 35 ft-lbs.

1. INSTALL SPARK PLUG(a) Using a 16 mm plug wrench, install the 8 spark plugs.

Torque: 21 N·m {214 kgf·cm, 15ft·lbf}
The following users liked this post:
Milez8 (08-08-20)
Old 01-15-19, 11:42 PM
67mattbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default South Bay Lexus

quote of $990 to perform valve inspection.
Old 01-16-19, 11:07 AM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Gone from an independent tech which is previously master tech one of lexus dealership. He told me that i dont need this adjustment coz lexus has a very tight settings that he never experienced to re adjust for his entire 15years lexus career. Any thoughts about this coz i have a supercharged engine and im currently building this F as a track car.
Old 01-16-19, 08:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

My experience is the need for adjustment is really rare. My Supra has 155k miles on it, and every time I've checked the valve lash on it, it has been just fine. I've checked lash on my IS F twice now, and they've all been fine both times. The only concern I would have with a boosted engine is making sure the valve springs are stout enough. Blowers try to blow valves open on the intake side. Not something you really want to happen ever. That said, at the modest boost levels the IS F superchargers run, I really doubt there would be any issue at all. The 2JZ-GTE definitely ran into issues around 28 psi with stock springs according to my calculations.
Old 01-16-19, 10:29 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
My experience is the need for adjustment is really rare. My Supra has 155k miles on it, and every time I've checked the valve lash on it, it has been just fine. I've checked lash on my IS F twice now, and they've all been fine both times. The only concern I would have with a boosted engine is making sure the valve springs are stout enough. Blowers try to blow valves open on the intake side. Not something you really want to happen ever. That said, at the modest boost levels the IS F superchargers run, I really doubt there would be any issue at all. The 2JZ-GTE definitely ran into issues around 28 psi with stock springs according to my calculations.
Thank you lobuxracer for the inputs , now i got a peace of mind since as i remember my blower is only giving 7psi.
Old 03-29-19, 02:02 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

lobuxracer would this be the plastic trims chart you would need to identify which plastic pieces need replacement.

im gathering things now to do the work soon. i want to have the plastics to boot. just wondering if anything looked familiar.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SideBySide[3686].pdf (185.3 KB, 118 views)
Old 03-31-19, 11:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That's the entire list of them, yes. I only replaced what actually broke. I did not remove the big plastic piece from the top, there is no need to do that at all. I just had some of the smaller pieces get brittle from heat and crack when I removed them. Truth be told, the big piece will crumble in your fingers if you've got 100k miles or more on the car, so it's best to leave it completely alone unless you're OK with dropping ~$85 on replacing it too.
Old 04-02-19, 09:22 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Truth be told, the big piece will crumble in your fingers if you've got 100k miles or more on the car, so it's best to leave it completely alone unless you're OK with dropping ~$85 on replacing it too.

Yuuup. she just hit 120k on saturday. and im not the first owner. so i def wanna see how shes handling the miles and age. also Sending out for oil analysis at the same time.

Last edited by Wh0pp3r; 04-02-19 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-21-20, 09:58 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Finally getting around to do this hopefully in the next month or so. the ISF hasnt been driven much over the year and thus been put on the back burner. but finally got around to ordering everything i needed. parts will all be in tomorrow including spark plugs and ill have it taken care of soon. i got quoted at 1050.00 and seeing that A) its beyond my skill level and B) itll be a trusted master tech handling it with near OCD scrutiny, im fine with paying it.

i was on the fence on doing this first or my exhaust. and even though i have my headers/tune/ intake from rrracing ready, this work will tell me a bit more about the health of the car and weather its worth bolting everything up or not.

thank you again lobuxracer
Old 06-04-20, 09:41 AM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

Basically you do the measurements now and if any are out of spec you simply pull the cams and change them at the same time you do the timing chain. Or wait and do everything at once
Old 06-05-20, 12:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by LILEVO
Basically you do the measurements now and if any are out of spec you simply pull the cams and change them at the same time you do the timing chain. Or wait and do everything at once
Pretty much. I'll do some WOT runs and follow up with a dose of water to ensure there is no carbon on the exhaust seats and the measurements are good. I've seen carbon build up make a valve appear to be loose, only to later burn in service because it was actually fine once the carbon burned off. Once the valve is even slightly off the seat, it's bye bye valve and sometimes seat.

A wise tuner told me many years ago, a loose valve is a happy valve.

I'm still debating just pulling it apart and cleaning up the ports and seats for the next 180k miles.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Z (06-05-20)
Old 06-23-20, 04:26 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

WELP, car is at the shop and will be going under the knife sometime this week. ill hopefully have some updates for you guys.

I also provided the correct OEM sealant incase any visible signs of leaking plate is found while its open. and also provided them with spark plugs and all the accoutrements pointed out by lobuxracer (thank you again). mine is shy of 130k, so i figured getting all the seals done would be needed anyway.
Old 06-24-20, 10:32 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Default Public service annoucement

If its never been done, and your at 130k doing this...get all the gaskets... hes replacing my filters and sent me this. Having a master tech for a friend is, I cant explain it...
Old 06-24-20, 10:42 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh0pp3r
If its never been done, and your at 130k doing this...get all the gaskets... hes replacing my filters and sent me this. Having a master tech for a friend is, I cant explain it...
Lol took me a while to understand what I was trying to see. Good one.
Old 06-24-20, 01:51 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh0pp3r
LOL, lookup the Tacoma water pump gasket. Maybe a common trend with Toyota?

Quick Reply: Done the 60k mile Valve Clearance Inspection yet?