IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Done the 60k mile Valve Clearance Inspection yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22, 03:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Originally Posted by calteg
About halfway through this currently, figured I'd stream-of-consciousness a few notes that might help others down the road:

Took about 5.5 hours to get everything disconnected, valve covers off, new sparkplugs in, as well as replacing the crank angle sensor.

At 113k, every one of my gaskets was rock hard. Spark plug hole on cylinder 8 had an alarming amount of oil in it, the plug itself was dripping oil when I removed it. Threads were dry so nothing was entering the cylinder, but I was shocked to see it was this bad with relatively low miles.
That is incredibly unfortunate, but not unheard of by any means.

I used a split-fork interior panel pry tool to get the harness clips off without breaking. It's cheap and made things pretty painless.
I have the same tool and one other one with more rounded edges. Either will work, but IME, the tool itself isn't the thing that prevents damaging the clips. I bought a big bag of clips (about 100 or so) from Amazon with this same tool as part of the "kit" and these seem to be much more durable than the OEM units. No matter how careful I am, there are always one or two that decide to lose one of the four petals and I just replace them now. I do the same thing for the screws holding the engine under cover in place. The plastic piece that slides into the square hole will get weak after a few times and the screw won't tighten (I check them before removing them), so again, I have replacements on hand and replace the bad ones when I remove the cover so they all hold when I put the cover back on. I do the same thing with the clips the Supra uses to hold on the engine under cover.
The DIY has the pulse damper nut as a 21mm, on mine it was 22mm. The "don't let this nut move or you're buying a new fuel pump" nut was 21mm.
You are correct. I just checked the tool I use for this and it is indeed 22mm, not 21mm. Post details have been corrected.
As far as I can tell, this plastic tube serves no purpose whatsoever. I thought it might contain wiring running into the fuse box, but it's empty and there isn't even a passthrough where it connects....strange. For reference the radiator is just to the left in that photo. Curious if anyone knows what it does, beside make it a PITA to remove the fusebox.
See post above. This is an air duct for cooling the ECM with fresh air not hot engine compartment air.
If you order the full array of gaskets and washers, this one is factory labeled "washer, seal." It goes underneath the valve cover "long bolts", 3 per bank
The 2JZ uses this same type of washer on the valve covers, but they get glassy hard and where they are installed on the four studs, they're difficult to remove.
@lobuxracer Definitely looks like someone had been in here before me, there's writing on the bank 1 cam. Any idea what it means?
That was put there at the factory. I seriously doubt anyone was in this before you were and marked the cams without removing them which is extremely unlikely.
The oil screen filters are in both valve covers...are they under this guy? I removed both bolts but nothing seemed to budge easily, just wanted to confirm before I used excessive force.
Yes, you need to remove the bolts and pull the cover apart.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-31-22 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-01-23, 08:00 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks again for the DIY, it was tremendously helpful!
I'll echo what lobux said about pulling the undertray. Initially I just pulled the main one under the motor. Do yourself a favor and pull the secondary one that runs underneath the trans as well. Both times I dropped an item, they ended up on top of the secondary cover.
Old 01-01-23, 01:56 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Follow up to the follow up. I didn't miss a section about using gasket maker on bank 2 did I?
Just got everything button up, car fired right up, no dash lights. Then, a decent amount of smoke from under hood.
Pretty major leak from bank 2, right up against the firewall. That section fought me tooth and nail when I got the pass side valve cover unbolted the first time, made me think there was some sort of gasket maker for one of corners perhaps?
Old 01-02-23, 06:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Follow up to the follow up. I didn't miss a section about using gasket maker on bank 2 did I?
Just got everything button up, car fired right up, no dash lights. Then, a decent amount of smoke from under hood.
Pretty major leak from bank 2, right up against the firewall. That section fought me tooth and nail when I got the pass side valve cover unbolted the first time, made me think there was some sort of gasket maker for one of corners perhaps?
No. I haven't used glue on any of my inspections. The FSM does mention it, but it's at the front, not the back. Right where the timing cover meets up with the head. Typical Toyota engineering, same as the 2JZ.

Old 03-02-23, 06:52 PM
Speedin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torque specs

I have read this entire post which is full of great information and I thank everyone for that. I can not find the torque specs for the hp fuel pumps or the valve covers. Does anyone have that information available?
Old 03-02-23, 08:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Speedin
I have read this entire post which is full of great information and I thank everyone for that. I can not find the torque specs for the hp fuel pumps or the valve covers. Does anyone have that information available?
HPFP - 25 Nm, 18 ft-lb

The following users liked this post:
Speedin (03-03-23)
Old 03-03-23, 08:07 PM
Speedin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the info
Old 11-25-23, 02:41 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello guys need your help with RCF/GSF engine

Factory recommendations
Intake 0.12 to 0.18 mm
Exhaust 0.19 to 0.25 mm

I was doing valve clearance on bank 2 as I'm having lack of power + vibration + misfire cylinder 8

And this is what happen when I'm doing valve clearance

On cylinder 8 intake valve
Lobe #1 I can't slide the feeler even size 0.04mm

Does this mean I need to change shim or the issue is further ?

Pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails Done the 60k mile Valve Clearance Inspection yet?-photo765.jpg   Done the 60k mile Valve Clearance Inspection yet?-photo367.jpg  

Last edited by Mesh704; 11-25-23 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-25-23, 10:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The valve(s) are burned and need to be replaced. Tight valve clearances are always bad news.
Old 11-25-23, 11:16 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The valve(s) are burned and need to be replaced. Tight valve clearances are always bad news.
So even if reducing shim size will not work ?
Old 11-26-23, 12:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Mesh704
So even if reducing shim size will not work ?
You could put a thinner shim in there, but it may or may not work. Changing the shims is no small task. The cams have to come out for that. My bet is the valve (valves) is (are) burned and that's why the lash is too tight. I'd try a leak down test to see how bad it is first.
Old 12-06-23, 06:42 PM
ISFsleeper
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That is incredibly unfortunate, but not unheard of by any means.

I have the same tool and one other one with more rounded edges. Either will work, but IME, the tool itself isn't the thing that prevents damaging the clips. I bought a big bag of clips (about 100 or so) from Amazon with this same tool as part of the "kit" and these seem to be much more durable than the OEM units. No matter how careful I am, there are always one or two that decide to lose one of the four petals and I just replace them now. I do the same thing for the screws holding the engine under cover in place. The plastic piece that slides into the square hole will get weak after a few times and the screw won't tighten (I check them before removing them), so again, I have replacements on hand and replace the bad ones when I remove the cover so they all hold when I put the cover back on. I do the same thing with the clips the Supra uses to hold on the engine under cover.
You are correct. I just checked the tool I use for this and it is indeed 22mm, not 21mm. Post details have been corrected.
See post above. This is an air duct for cooling the ECM with fresh air not hot engine compartment air.
The 2JZ uses this same type of washer on the valve covers, but they get glassy hard and where they are installed on the four studs, they're difficult to remove.
That was put there at the factory. I seriously doubt anyone was in this before you were and marked the cams without removing them which is extremely unlikely.
Yes, you need to remove the bolts and pull the cover apart.
@lobuxracer First off I want to say thank you. It's one thing to have the knowledge to do the work it's another to take the time to document it and articulate it so others can follow suit. It shows that you do things with excellence and love sharing it with others. Much appreciated!
Quick question which Amazon wire harness cable ties did you go with instead of 82711-2D380 since they are unavailable in the US.
Old 12-07-23, 08:41 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You can order the OEM part from Megazip or Amayama in Japan. Megazip is showing $1.60 each today, but shipping will be very painful.

I ordered a completely different part but the link to it no longer works. The part works OK, and I bought 100 of them years ago, so there's plenty of left overs even after doing the valley plate and replacing all the DI injector harness clamps. I am not kidding at all when I say I just cut them off now. It's not worth the time to mess with them.

For more alternatives, check this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10057953
Old 01-06-24, 08:39 PM
LesBinnit
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@lobuxracer Thanks for this write up!

I requested estimates from two Lexus dealerships. One quoted me $4700 labor only. (30 hrs) The other quoted $1400, but said there’s no need to do it because the ISF has hydraulic lifters. So, I decided to take it on myself.

I worked on bank 2 today. It was tough to get the valve cover gasket to stay in place at the rear. I think I got it but we’ll see. The fuel hose did not want to come off the pump, and I ended up puncturing the hose trying to remove it. If your fuel hose is stuck, I’d recommend removing the hose from the tube, remove the pump, then remove the hose from the pump once it’s off.

Toyota recommends to rotate the cam so it doesn’t compress the fuel pump plunger. I didn’t do this, and just compressed the plunger to install the pump. Can anyone confirm this is acceptable?
Old 01-07-24, 03:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I've never worried about the cam position when installing the HPFP.
The following users liked this post:
LesBinnit (01-07-24)

Quick Reply: Done the 60k mile Valve Clearance Inspection yet?