ISF build quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 08:43 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 16n69
hmmm....
This has been my experience with Toyotas & Acura.
I find it amusing that so many "tout" the reliability of Asian brands...and rag on the German & U.S. brands...when they have as many 'QUALITY" ISSUES...as any other makers, overall.
Maybe it is just an indictment on the "times" , the willingness for auto makers to "cut corners" and use cheaper parts for greater profits...and also, that "pride in workmanship" and work ethics are no longer what they used to be?
I have had great luck with my BMW's but have been told that Lexus is quite reliable, better than Toyota...but am beginning to hear they are no different, just costlier?
This guy is a troll and should be banned. I just checked the threads he started and they were both locked!
Mods get him outta here
Old 09-29-11, 09:05 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That would be because I know people in the industry who service BMW, Mercedes, and Audi cars. Statistically, your German made car is going to have electrical problems unlike any other brand. I have three friends (not Lexus or Toyota owners) who all had Audi ECMs fail while driving down the road. I've never, ever heard of this in any Japanese vehicle.

Pick your poison - some rattles and squeaks (which all cars have regardless of manufacturer), or electrical issues that will leave you stranded by the roadside waiting for a tow.

BTW, the quotation marks add nothing to your post's meaning, but definitely give the aura of a negative attitude. Is condescension your intent? If it isn't, you might consider dropping them.
So finally the tech says that the left strut is leaking and that's causing the thumps. they have ordered the parts and next week the strut will be replaced.
the reason I got Lex is the one you have mentioned that is not to get stranded on the road cause of electrical issues.

i can live with these issues as they get fixed. I got the car back for Sunday's event and the tech told me that it is perfectly safe to drive and there will be no issue. his take is that the strut is faulty and instead of them going to fix it they want to replace it.
Old 09-29-11, 09:08 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Odd, I have the same 2 issues. I chalked the rattling up to my tending to drive with my left leg bent with my knee pressing/leaning against the door. Perhaps I've just pushed it slightly loose, but I only hear it when the music is off.

Your strut issue. I get this random thump also that kind of sounds like a water bottle in my trunk or something. It seems random though because I don't hear it over bumps most of the time, so predicting when I might hear it is difficult. Does yours sound like this?
It is not a random thump but constant thump at the speed of 40 miles per hour. When the car is over 40 I cannot hear the noise. Lex tech told me that there is the noise but it is masked by the exhaust sound. lol.

for some reason i have this uncanny knack of finding noises in every car. Once i hear a noise then it is very difficult for me to get my mind of from the noise. damn
Old 09-29-11, 09:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

FYI, there was an IS350 owner who had both rear shocks fail at 6k miles back in '06. Definitely a fluke, and covered fully by warranty. Glad to hear they're solving the problems!
Old 09-30-11, 04:19 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
This guy is a troll and should be banned. I just checked the threads he started and they were both locked!
Mods get him outta here
Couldn't agree more These cars are NOT perfect and certainly less that what most of us have come to expect from the brand, however, they are NOTHING compared to the problems that most BMW and Audi owners experience on a very regular basis. German's are good at many thing but electronics is NOT one of them their cars are often a nightmare after 3 years! Suspension issues abound.
Old 09-30-11, 05:44 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Yes very true, knave many friends who complain about their Beemer issues. Looks like I may get my wife a GX in next few months. Wanted to get a GL BUT I do not want to be on a camping trip and the car does not start.
Anyways I am happy as long as the issues are small ones and are quickly fixed. Pretty impressed with the Lexus service courtesy too.
Old 09-30-11, 06:02 AM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 owner here gladly reporting zero rattles or creaks. our 2010 gs awd went back to lexus 2 times to get all the rattles ironed out - they installed a crap ton of felt in the dash.

scheduled maintenace is coming up and ive noticed that a) head lamps are starting to bubble and b) my rear brakes sqeak under light pressure. ill have my service advisor take a look. i know other f owners have had the brake issue addressed and i expect lexus to correct the head lamp issue. idk if ill let them replace the units until a permanent fix is available.
Old 09-30-11, 06:08 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dinardalvi
It is not a random thump but constant thump at the speed of 40 miles per hour. When the car is over 40 I cannot hear the noise. Lex tech told me that there is the noise but it is masked by the exhaust sound. lol.

for some reason i have this uncanny knack of finding noises in every car. Once i hear a noise then it is very difficult for me to get my mind of from the noise. damn
Good to hear; that will make me less paranoid!! I'm the same way. I hear a noise, say "what was that" to myself, and then focus on that stupid thing constantly!
Old 10-02-11, 02:24 PM
16n69
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

Originally Posted by dinardalvi
Yes very true, knave many friends who complain about their Beemer issues. Looks like I may get my wife a GX in next few months. Wanted to get a GL BUT I do not want to be on a camping trip and the car does not start.
Anyways I am happy as long as the issues are small ones and are quickly fixed. Pretty impressed with the Lexus service courtesy too.
All cars have issues.
However, BMW's have a road > driver connection...no Lexus will ever match.
M3 is a driver's car. The one all others chase & try to imitate. (sports coupe/sedan niche)
You know what they say about imitation...
The F feels numb by comparison.
Sorry, but true!
Old 10-02-11, 04:13 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dear 16n69, Don't ever say "ever" because the IS F is faster in a straight line than the M3, and though the M3 beat it through the corners, that stopped with the 2011 model with its LS and modified suspension. When I test drove the M3 I thought it was nice but felt rather weak until the rpms were over 5k. Then it went very well. I didn't get a chance to really test it on the twisties though. When I drove the IS F it had more torque down low and just felt better to me. Plus, how many are really going to put their M3 or IS F to the limits of their abilities? This "feels numb by comparison" didn't manifest itself for me. I drive a two lane road five days a week and the IS F is great. Plus even with spirited driving I still get an average of 22mpg. As a plus, it sounds better than the M3 in my opinion. Lexus will keep improving the performance of the IS F every model year. I feel that both are amazing vehicles but the IS F just did more for me than the M3 did. By the way, have you driven an IS F or are you basing your opinions on what other have written?
Old 10-02-11, 04:24 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

M3 sucks.

M3 sucks.
M3 sucks.
M3 sucks.
Old 10-02-11, 07:44 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vraa
M3 sucks.

M3 sucks.
M3 sucks.
M3 sucks.
There are better bangs for the buck out there than our F's, but the M3 is NOT one of them! Even the fabled M5 can't compete with the CTS-v
Old 10-02-11, 08:59 PM
16n69
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

Originally Posted by vraa
M3 sucks.

M3 sucks.
M3 sucks.
M3 sucks.
ONLY a F fanboy and anti-car enthusiast could possibly say the legendary BMW M3 ...the car the Lexus, AMG, Audi's and others ALL were inspired by and aspire to be!...."SUCKS"

I NEVER said the IS-F sucked...it doesn't but it is NO M3...yet, even the 2011.
Feels soft, steering no where as communicative nor has that magical weight & feel of a BMW, and the M3 has a real long power band and torque curve that is just magical.
The F does not, and it DOES NOT HAVE A 6MT , and even an IS-250 has a manual gearbox...???
Go figure. Lexus does not understand what a performance vehicle should be and how it should be optioned.
Not yet, maybe in 5 or 10 yrs. it may catch up to BMW M divisions knowledge & passion.

Last edited by 16n69; 10-02-11 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 09:21 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

All cars have issues.
However, BMW's have a road > driver connection...no Lexus will ever match.
M3 is a driver's car. The one all others chase & try to imitate. (sports coupe/sedan niche)
You know what they say about imitation...
The F feels numb by comparison.
Sorry, but true!
Yea its a drivers car the half of the time its on the road. The other half it spends broken at the dealership. Sounds like you watch too much Top Gear. You don't list any facts. Just an M3 fanboy.
Old 10-02-11, 09:22 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

ONLY a F fanboy and anti-car enthusiast could possibly say the legendary BMW M3 ...the car the Lexus, AMG, Audi's and others ALL were inspired by and aspire to be!...."SUCKS"

I NEVER said the IS-F sucked...it doesn't but it is NO M3...yet, even the 2011.
Feels soft, steering no where as communicative nor has that magical weight & feel of a BMW, and the M3 has a real long power band and torque curve that is just magical.
The F does not, and it DOES NOT HAVE A 6MT , and even an IS-250 has a manual gearbox...???
Go figure. Lexus does not understand what a performance vehicle should be and how it should be optioned.
Not yet, maybe in 5 or 10 yrs. it may catch up to BMW M divisions knowledge & passion.
Really bro? Really? You are so played out in these forums! We all know you are an m3 troll! Every single one of us!! Here is what u will say next, "BMW has been the bench mark for 30 years and Lexus is playing catch up" news flash Troll/BMW fanboy, Lexus caught and passed the vaunted m3 in just 4 Years! Look up the lap times don't just take my word for it!! Oh never mind facts don't concern a troll! Since we are all being honest here, isn't it your turn...? We all know you have never driven an F, nor will you ever own the "inferior" car, nor have you EVER taken one onto the track and pushed it too the limits. Those of us whom have will tell you that the vehicle is quite at home there. I see no reason to continue this back and forth with you as your intentions and motivations seem rather obvious.

Last edited by ming15237; 10-03-11 at 05:33 AM.

Quick Reply: ISF build quality