ISF build quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 06:16 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default ISF build quality

So on my 2011 I had few issues:

Rattling on driver side (which was fixed by adding insulation)
Now today I get thumping noise on passenger rear wheel. I take it iand the tech told me that it is some strut issue. I am Douro us to see what is the solution.

There are small other issues no big deal but on these 2 ones I am not really happy. That said I have only 5000 miles on the car since I bought it in Feb 2011.

Lexus tech are fixing the issue as I find them but......
Old 09-28-11, 06:31 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dinardalvi

Now today I get thumping noise on passenger rear wheel. I take it iand the tech told me that it is some strut issue. I am Douro us to see what is the solution.

There are small other issues no big deal but on these 2 ones I am not really happy. That said I have only 5000 miles on the car since I bought it in Feb 2011.

sorry to hear... i got about 7500 on my 2011.. havent had any problems... only that it rattles.. but i chalk that up to my exhaust system.. didn't hear the rattle before i got it done... also the bubbling in the headlight housing which the dealership is replacing under warranty..... which reminds me... CHECK YOUR HEADLIGHTS...... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-defect.html
Old 09-28-11, 06:43 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2008 3 1/2 years and not a rattle and not a single issue.
Old 09-28-11, 08:05 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

no rattles or noises on my 08 with 27k miles.
Old 09-28-11, 08:59 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

at this time i am kinda okay with the small rattles, but struts having issues is not good. Not to mention the rear seat belt would not go back in (never mind not a show stopper can be fixed).

Frankly I bought ISF for Lexus reliability. Since I am allowed to drive (after surgery May 2011) the car is in the shop 4 times. Seems like a BMW or a Merc, now my wife tells me that the reason I gave her for buying a ISF over M3 or a C63 is wrong. I cannot say no and defend the ISF.

I hope I did not get a bad piece, will talk with the Lexus rep after this fix to see what and why there are all these issues. I mean after 30K miles there are issues with struts I can say ok.

My Subie did not have a single issue till it got totaled (red light runner) 40K, it saved me though.
Old 09-29-11, 08:24 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

Default Nothing major yet

My 08 has 1 noise, I think is coming from the dash in front of pass side. My co-pilot (the wife) thinks it's wind noise but I think it's the vents or maybe the air circulator. Just happens at high speeds above 80+. I am just going to ignore it. But like everyone else I bought this car for quality and this is not my 1st Lexus.
Old 09-29-11, 08:41 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

I picked up my 2011 IS-F in Nov of 2010, I drive my F from Westchester County to NYC 5 days week thur some of the worst roads in country so far 9500 miles and know strange noise or any issue what so ever.
Old 09-29-11, 09:12 AM
g6g35
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 and I keep getting a creaking noise, coming from the roof??
Old 09-29-11, 09:42 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

my dash rattles on cold start. after a while it goes away. it was ok before i installed the exhaust.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 09-29-11 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-29-11, 11:06 AM
16n69
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

at this time i am kinda okay with the small rattles, but struts having issues is not good. Not to mention the rear seat belt would not go back in (never mind not a show stopper can be fixed).

Frankly I bought ISF for Lexus reliability. Since I am allowed to drive (after surgery May 2011) the car is in the shop 4 times. Seems like a BMW or a Merc, now my wife tells me that the reason I gave her for buying a ISF over M3 or a C63 is wrong. I cannot say no and defend the ISF.

I hope I did not get a bad piece, will talk with the Lexus rep after this fix to see what and why there are all these issues. I mean after 30K miles there are issues with struts I can say ok.

My Subie did not have a single issue till it got totaled (red light runner) 40K, it saved me though.
hmmm....
This has been my experience with Toyotas & Acura.
I find it amusing that so many "tout" the reliability of Asian brands...and rag on the German & U.S. brands...when they have as many 'QUALITY" ISSUES...as any other makers, overall.
Maybe it is just an indictment on the "times" , the willingness for auto makers to "cut corners" and use cheaper parts for greater profits...and also, that "pride in workmanship" and work ethics are no longer what they used to be?
I have had great luck with my BMW's but have been told that Lexus is quite reliable, better than Toyota...but am beginning to hear they are no different, just costlier?
Old 09-29-11, 11:15 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not perfect. No car is. As long as they take initiative to fix it, then that's all that counts.
Old 09-29-11, 11:19 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Odd, I have the same 2 issues. I chalked the rattling up to my tending to drive with my left leg bent with my knee pressing/leaning against the door. Perhaps I've just pushed it slightly loose, but I only hear it when the music is off.

Your strut issue. I get this random thump also that kind of sounds like a water bottle in my trunk or something. It seems random though because I don't hear it over bumps most of the time, so predicting when I might hear it is difficult. Does yours sound like this?
Old 09-29-11, 11:54 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by g6g35
I have a 2010 and I keep getting a creaking noise, coming from the roof??
Try closing the cover of the moonroof. When I leave it opened but with the moonroof itself closed, I do hear creaks when I go over bumps.

To the OP: If the strut issue is more than just the noise, then sorry to hear. I've never heard of that problem before. You're probably a bit frustrated, but you're also exaggerating a bit if you are questioning Lexus reliability or quality based on a few noises and a seatbelt, imo, especially if they are so minor and uncommon. Do a search for issues on this car, then go over to other forums and do the same for other cars. That should tell you everything you need to know about reliability and quality.

BTW - 08 here with no issues ever. I only did the TSB on the rattling mirror because of the thread here. ha ha.
Old 09-29-11, 12:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by 16n69
hmmm....
This has been my experience with Toyotas & Acura.
I find it amusing that so many "tout" the reliability of Asian brands...and rag on the German & U.S. brands...when they have as many 'QUALITY" ISSUES...as any other makers, overall.
Maybe it is just an indictment on the "times" , the willingness for auto makers to "cut corners" and use cheaper parts for greater profits...and also, that "pride in workmanship" and work ethics are no longer what they used to be?
I have had great luck with my BMW's but have been told that Lexus is quite reliable, better than Toyota...but am beginning to hear they are no different, just costlier?
That would be because I know people in the industry who service BMW, Mercedes, and Audi cars. Statistically, your German made car is going to have electrical problems unlike any other brand. I have three friends (not Lexus or Toyota owners) who all had Audi ECMs fail while driving down the road. I've never, ever heard of this in any Japanese vehicle.

Pick your poison - some rattles and squeaks (which all cars have regardless of manufacturer), or electrical issues that will leave you stranded by the roadside waiting for a tow.

BTW, the quotation marks add nothing to your post's meaning, but definitely give the aura of a negative attitude. Is condescension your intent? If it isn't, you might consider dropping them.
Old 09-29-11, 02:54 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

As 2slow said, no car is perfect. I haven't had any of those problems in my 08 IS F, but hopefully you'll find resolution to these minor problems soon. I will say it sure beats having to deal with the ECU, engine troubles, transmission and electrical problems.

Quick Reply: ISF build quality