IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

what is the best intake and exhaust for the IS-F??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 04:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by staman
What 95% of people don't tell you about the Joe-Z exhaust is that it has no cats. What that means is your getting more wheel gain but you have no chance of passing an emissions test, not here in toronto anyway.. It might be different in cali where he makes them. If you need an emmisions test it can be a problem unless you know someone at the DMV etc.. You have to take off the joe-z exhaust, put on the stock, get tested etc... The borla has cats and is about 500 bucks less than the joe-z but your not getting the wheel gain and it doesnt sound as cool (IMHO). The borla also splits from the muffler back into 1" 4-way which i think is absurd.

Well, Yes and No. Yes, the JoeZ has no SECONDARY cats, but if you don't get headers, the primary cats will remain on the vehicle and you will not get a CEL, and you will pass the sniffer. Borla makes two exhaust systems for the "F", one is plumbed like the JoeZ system and also removes the stock secondary cats (Borla calls it their cat back system). The other, the axle bask system, just replaces the axle back portion of the exhaust and does retain the secondary cats. So it SHOULD pass a visual, but this all depends on your inspector. However, in California tampering with a stock exhaust system in anyway, is illegal. Most California owners who chose to modify their vehicle choose to ignore this silly law.

One thing the Axle Back Borla does, it removes the stock crush in the stock axel back portion of the stock system. This crush, IMHO, is very restrictive.

Oh, and I might add that all aftermarket systems are sold for "Off Road Use Only'".

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 10-31-11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 05:08 PM
KiyomiF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
I think we should make an exhaust sticky with just videos showing the sound coming from the exhaust so people can hear it and make their decision, of course we will also post dyno results for each exhaust to show the gains.
Good idea Teo! I agree.
Old 10-31-11, 09:02 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KiyomiF
Good idea Teo! I agree.
thanks Meg!
Old 10-31-11, 09:29 PM
mikelexF
Rookie

What 95% of people don't tell you about the Joe-Z exhaust is that it has no cats. What that means is your getting more wheel gain but you have no chance of passing an emissions test, not here in toronto anyway.. It might be different in cali where he makes them. If you need an emmisions test it can be a problem unless you know someone at the DMV etc.. You have to take off the joe-z exhaust, put on the stock, get tested etc... The borla has cats and is about 500 bucks less than the joe-z but your not getting the wheel gain and it doesnt sound as cool (IMHO). The borla also splits from the muffler back into 1" 4-way which i think is absurd.
Its true no secondary cats but the car is new. i dont know what the emission laws are in texas but i live in toronto, and i wont be due for a e-test for another 4 years at least. And when i do need one i dont think i wont mind swapping since i got 4 years on the exhaust.

I guess "to each is own." I went with the Joez not only because of the performance aspect but because of quality(304 stainless steel)and also sound(much louder than borla). The borla just didn't have that "beast" factor for me..

whatever your decision, I'm sure you'll choose the right exhaust that appeals to your taste. good luck!!
Old 10-31-11, 11:19 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

I don't know if it's the best, but I want the GReddy exhaust!
Old 11-01-11, 06:32 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
As for intakes I still can't find any true 100% better set up than stock. Way too many threads with bad results, even with drop in filters.
So true... I love when the secondary intake opens up around 3800 RPMs...sounds like a completely different beast
Old 11-01-11, 06:45 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally prefer the Joe Z intake/exhaust combo. But true the rear cats are removed and you should have no emission issue as long as the primary cats are still attached. Here in FL we used to have an emission test back in the 90's turned out to be a waste of money so headers are good for now down here. Intake wise the Joe Z retains the stock intake setup and the gains are good 5whp(~8-10hp).
Old 11-02-11, 05:21 AM
KiyomiF
Driver

Moderators, any chance on getting a sticky for Teo's idea on videos showing the sound coming from the exhaust with dyno results so people can hear it and make their decision?