IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Primecut's Custom Exhaust Setup (Pics and Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 11:04 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ It's all good! I can see where you guys are coming from now. If the idea of quality is mandrel bent with stainless, then I totally agree that this is not "quality".

The shop does full stainless setups with mandrel bends. They've been in the biz for 30 years, and I've seen some of those other setups. After a long discussion, they recommended that I stick with aluminized w/crushed bends. The first reason is obviously the savings in cost, the other being that there isn't a real advantage to mandrel bending for this particular setup (It's pretty long and straight for the most part). Lastly, I don't plan on staring at the bottom of my car, so I don't see any benefit to go stainless with pretty bends, especially if those bends don't yield any gains. Nothing against other setups. So where I'm coming from is that yes, I could have asked for and received the "quality" setup, but for what we agreed upon, they did a great job. Given this context, if you still disagree, then it's all good, no offense taken.

Originally Posted by lexuswtf
don't mean to instigate... but it looks like we have ourselves a debate!!!... any way... i agree w/ Genuine... my exhaust is custom.. and was done on the fly as well... brought it in, dropped it off in the morning... ... picked it up end of day when i got outta work....don't get me wrong... ur car sounds great!!
That's a very nice setup. It looks like stainless/mandrel? To be fair, your setup is more straightforward because you are not running resonators, and they used pre-made pipes on certain areas. I wonder if having 4 mufflers is significantly louder than 2 Did you post sound clips before?
Old 09-29-11, 11:56 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by primecut
^ It's all good! I can see where you guys are coming from now. If the idea of quality is mandrel bent with stainless, then I totally agree that this is not "quality".

The shop does full stainless setups with mandrel bends. They've been in the biz for 30 years, and I've seen some of those other setups. After a long discussion, they recommended that I stick with aluminized w/crushed bends. The first reason is obviously the savings in cost, the other being that there isn't a real advantage to mandrel bending for this particular setup (It's pretty long and straight for the most part). Lastly, I don't plan on staring at the bottom of my car, so I don't see any benefit to go stainless with pretty bends, especially if those bends don't yield any gains. Nothing against other setups. So where I'm coming from is that yes, I could have asked for and received the "quality" setup, but for what we agreed upon, they did a great job. Given this context, if you still disagree, then it's all good, no offense taken.

That's a very nice setup. It looks like stainless/mandrel? To be fair, your setup is more straightforward because you are not running resonators, and they used pre-made pipes on certain areas. I wonder if having 4 mufflers is significantly louder than 2 Did you post sound clips before?
Sorry... No sound clips yet... But yeah.. It really sounds beefy... Y-pipes and x-pipe were indeed pre fab... But total w/ pipes, mufflers, mandrel bends, and welds, I think cost me less than $800.. Or at least close to that price
Old 09-30-11, 03:00 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good and sounds nice! These cars sounds amazing with exhaust right??
Old 09-30-11, 05:42 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

The only problem with going "Custom" is that when you decide to sell it for whatever reason down the road it's just not going to attract many buyers. It's hard to recoupe much compared to say the manufacturered brands out there so spending on average around $800 for this type of setup wouldn't really save much money down the road when you sell it. I could be wrong since I haven't seen what a custom exhaust can sell for.

If funds are an issue, the Borla exhaust is only $237 more (shipped) and could easily be sold down the road especially since it's easily packaged up with no large sections.

OP,
Did you by chance weigh the exhaust and do you know what grade stainless steel they used?

Last edited by caymandive; 09-30-11 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-30-11, 01:25 PM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds amazing! great job
Old 09-30-11, 03:34 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately I didn't weigh the thing. I made an assumption that it wouldn't be heavier than stock just purely based on the size and volume of the parts, but who knows, it might be a brick! ha ha.

I didn't go with stainless so I don't have a grade of the material. Do they also grade aluminized? And does anyone know which one weighs more, aluminized or stainless?