IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Primecut's Custom Exhaust Setup (Pics and Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11 | 12:54 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primecut's Custom Exhaust Setup (Pics and Vid)

My friend recently got a custom setup done on his 996 turbo, and I was so impressed and inspired that I decided to do the same for my F using the same guys. The workmanship is top notch, and it turned out even better than I expected. Nice deep tone, not too loud, no droning, no rasp. I love it.

This is a similar setup to what others have done: 2.5" true dual catback, x-pipe, perforated resonators, outs to magnaflow mufflers, single outlets to stock diffusers.

FYI: For intake, I'm just running an AFE (dry).

Old 09-29-11 | 01:42 PM
GenuineKid
Driver

not trying to hate or anything, but if you think thats top notch quality work then you need to rethink what "top notch quality work" really means.
Old 09-29-11 | 02:07 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Quality looks pretty good, but it sounds even better.
Old 09-29-11 | 02:15 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Turned out pretty nice man.
Old 09-29-11 | 02:30 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Besides cost, what's the difference between going with this kind of setup vs the joeZ exhaust? Will this setup yield similar power gains as the JoeZ? Sorry for such noob questions but I've seen at least a couple members go with this setup and never really understood why. TIA
Old 09-29-11 | 02:34 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I like the deep sound. Nicely done!
Old 09-29-11 | 03:11 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GenuineKid
not trying to hate or anything, but if you think thats top notch quality work then you need to rethink what "top notch quality work" really means.
I think you need to re-think your expectations. Have you ever done a custom exhaust? This is a fabricated setup that's done on the fly. To me, quality work on a custom exhaust means no rattles, good mounts, clean welds, bends, flanges, and piping. This is not a manufactured product. If you are looking for a shiny straight stainless system, you'd buy one out-of-the-box.
Old 09-29-11 | 03:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Looks good!!!

Nice touch with balcking out the rear of the mufflers

~ Joe Z
Old 09-29-11 | 05:39 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice setup, now dyno the car and find out how much you gained!
Old 09-29-11 | 05:56 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds pretty good. How much did the exhaust work cost in total and what Magnaflow mufflers did you go with? Also what grade of Stainless did they use?
Old 09-29-11 | 06:19 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

my Magnaflows are a little different... sound is pretty much the same tho'... glad to see ppl going the same route as me
Attached Thumbnails Primecut's Custom Exhaust Setup (Pics and Vid)-after.jpg   Primecut's Custom Exhaust Setup (Pics and Vid)-x-pipe.jpg   Primecut's Custom Exhaust Setup (Pics and Vid)-driver-side.jpg   Primecut's Custom Exhaust Setup (Pics and Vid)-passenger-side.jpg  
Old 09-29-11 | 06:24 PM
GenuineKid
Driver

Originally Posted by primecut
I think you need to re-think your expectations. Have you ever done a custom exhaust? This is a fabricated setup that's done on the fly. To me, quality work on a custom exhaust means no rattles, good mounts, clean welds, bends, flanges, and piping. This is not a manufactured product. If you are looking for a shiny straight stainless system, you'd buy one out-of-the-box.
obviously our definition of quality custom work is different. I work in the automotive industry and my definition of quality custom work is different from yours. My custom quality work will look like something "out of the box".

And the bends are definitely not clean, its uneven everywhere. but like you said it was done on the fly.

nonetheless congrats, sounds nice though.
Old 09-29-11 | 06:30 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GenuineKid
obviously our definition of quality custom work is different. I work in the automotive industry and my definition of quality custom work is different from yours. My custom quality work will look like something "out of the box".

And the bends are definitely not clean, its uneven everywhere. but like you said it was done on the fly.

nonetheless congrats, sounds nice though.
don't mean to instigate... but it looks like we have ourselves a debate!!!... any way... i agree w/ Genuine... my exhaust is custom.. and was done on the fly as well... brought it in, dropped it off in the morning... ... picked it up end of day when i got outta work....don't get me wrong... ur car sounds great!!

Last edited by lexuswtf; 09-29-11 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-29-11 | 06:55 PM
lscale
Driver School Candidate

Love it, sounds great, nice deep note.
Old 09-29-11 | 07:03 PM
LiCelsior
Retired
CL Folding 500000

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

what genuine is trying to get at is crush bend is not exactly quality custom work, mandrel bent is quality custom work. but theres only a slight disadvantage from mandrel and crush but the cost is like 2-3 times greater. but i like the magnaflows on the F there primecut, they always sound good for a V8, esp the jap v8s.

Quick Reply: Primecut's Custom Exhaust Setup (Pics and Vid)