IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs. C63/M3? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 06:11 AM
Legato
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iīm a bit surprised about what cars are discussed in this thread. I actually think the RS5 and S5 have the best looks of all performance sedans. I also think they are the only ones with better interior build quality than the ISF...

If I was buying a USED car today this would probably be my preferences:
1. ISF
2. S5
3. RS5
4. M3
5. RS3

If I was buying a NEW car today...
1. M5 (the new one, thus waiting a few months)
2. S5
3. ISF
4. RS5
5. M3

The reason that the order is different (except for the new M5) is that atleast here in Sweden the second hand value of the ISF is considerably lower than the others (the M3 and ISF are identical in price new, but differs around $10k after 2 years). The updates for the '11 ISF compensates a bit though.

I used to drive a 05 M5, and with the ISF this is what I love and donīt love:

LOVE with the ISF:
* The exlusivity. Hard to pinpoint, but for some reason I am a lot more passionate about this car than I was ever with the M5.
* Rationality. More reliable and much cheaper to own, the same size engine of the M5 consumed almost 50% more gas on average.
* The sound. Canīt complain about the sound of the M5 either (at low revs itīs terrible though), but the ISF is the best Iīve ever heard from a sedan

Miss with the M5:
* Variable suspension. While driving mostly in Sport mode it was nice to be able to relax now and then in Normal or Comfort mode.
* Heads up display. Great feature, feels both hi-tech and letīs u keep the eyes on the road! (Reviewers complain about the ISF "beeps", but wo HUD I def. think itīs better with beeps than no beeps...).
Old 10-28-11, 12:48 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

The S5 is not a sedan, its a coupe.

I was looking at the S5 before I purchased my ISF, the power was missing and the price was way to high for what it is.
Old 10-28-11, 12:57 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanGTS

I was looking at the S5 before I purchased my ISF, the power was missing and the price was way to high for what it is.
Yea, its a great looking car, but lacking power. Its more of a touring car. The V8's were cool, but now I think they are all the supercharged v6.. they can be tuned for some good power but they just dont have that nice v8 sound/feel.
Old 10-28-11, 01:10 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Now the RS5....... I wish we had those here
Old 10-28-11, 02:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

unless it's a rs, i don't think the s has anything against f, amg, or m
Old 10-29-11, 08:22 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by SoreHead
OK. 2nd reply on here. Hi all by the way.

I moved to Canada from Ireland almost 3 years ago. Bought an M3 Coupe when I got here. Had it for almost 2 years. Loved it. Absolutely fantastic handling. No problems whatsoever and I actually liked the interior. The looks were fantasic IMO. Graphite with matching wheels. Loved it. Build quality was 100% unlike my wifes 328xi wagon which fell to pieces. Luckily both were leased.

Z06 was the greatest disappointment of my car buying career without exception. I can't believe the price of these pieces of archaic ****e. Unbelievably bad. Don't get me wrong. It looked great from the outside and if the road was dry, smooth and straight the acceleration and noise was to die for. Unfortunately the interior was to commit suicide for and the wet or uneven road handling was lethal. I read places that they are a performance bargain. Well having owned one for 9 months I can officially say that they are overpriced by about 200%. Junk.

The F was what I tried to buy when I moved here but the store sold the one I was after 3 days before I landed officially and couldn't find the same spec. for me. The dealership was part of a larger group including BMW which is where the M3 came from.

I've only had the F for a week now but I can say without any hesitation that it is the nicer car for normal life and day to day driving but it doesn't touch the M3 for handling feel.

MUCH nicer noise.

I prefer to looks of the M3 coupe but when it comes to the 4-door my preference is F then C63 and lastly M3. But then I'm a firm believer that looks are a personal choice and I don't judge others in their preferences there and don't get insulted if someone doesn't like my choice.

Buy it. Drive it. Love it.

On the interior comments I actually think the current C63 has a decent looking interior. I like the seats too. I like the M3 look too. In fact of the 3 I think the F would be my last choice mostly because of the Silvery trim. It's the one think I hate about the interior and I hope to change it soon but hey. Other than that I love it.

Looking forward to many, many thousand KM of driving and swapping of ideas with everyone here.

P.S.
Moved here from Ireland where an IS-F costs over 100,000 euro. Ouch.
EXCELLENT POST
I almost bought a Z06 this weekend but I read your post and it ringed perfectly with what I felt. horrible interior!

+1 on the comment, S line is nothing against F AMG or M
I do not think AudiVW cares enough to bring RS everything
BUT GOD DO THEY LOOK GOOD!
+1 on the beeps of the IS-F, I love them! I'm the kinda guy that bangs on the limiter
Old 10-29-11, 04:41 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

I don't know about how much Audis cost in USA, but I got my new ISF for about $5k more than an optioned up Audi TT that the wife wanted. It wasn't a TT-S, wasn't a TT-RS, but just a TT Quattro. Horribly overpriced, especially when a VW golf R is half the price.

The Audi RS5 is a nice drive. I love the interior too. Audi has always had nice interiors. The thing I don't like is the balance of the car. It's pretty nose heavy and tends the push a bit in corners. Very sweet for cruising though.
Old 10-29-11, 05:07 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now the RS5....... I wish we had those here
There coming to the US in 2012
Old 10-30-11, 07:08 PM
Super6
Driver

My previous car was a Benz c350 any my heart was set on the c63. I took one out for a test drive and it was amazing. The rumble of the amg exhaust, pure power and acceleration make me just about pee my pants. It was heavenly. With me needing a vehicle as a daily driver and acculmalationg 25-30k miles per year, the isf was a more logical and less risky buy.
Old 10-31-11, 04:02 AM
Legato
Driver

True, but the M3 coupe was discussed as well... And while there is an S4 I doubt anyone would buy it instead of the S5 And there is no RS4 at all.

Donīt know about the pricing in the US, but in Europe an ISF is much more expensive than the S5. A base S5 is $80k while the base ISF is $110k. Base RS5 is $120k.

And yeah the performance of the S5 obv isnīt as good as the RS5, but itīs a very well balanced car. Havenīt driven the RS5, but according to most reviews the S5 is a much better choice.
Old 10-31-11, 05:31 AM
Legato
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
unless it's a rs, i don't think the s has anything against f, amg, or m
I think atleast the S8 owners will beg to disagree

520 hp, 650 NM, 0-100 km/h in 4.2s.
Old 10-31-11, 06:12 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Legato
I think atleast the S8 owners will beg to disagree

520 hp, 650 NM, 0-100 km/h in 4.2s.
Lambo engine but without the requirement of chest hair - sick sick ride
So what's the story with the RS line up, why doesn't Audi have them all here - or can you order them?
Old 10-31-11, 07:40 AM
Legato
Driver

Originally Posted by vraa
Lambo engine but without the requirement of chest hair - sick sick ride
So what's the story with the RS line up, why doesn't Audi have them all here - or can you order them?
I was really surprised to read that you donīt have them. Seems like a stupid strategical decision by Audi to me, I am pretty sure the Ms and AMGs have a bigger market share over there than here...

Not sure why Audi is selling so badly in the US in general. Globally Audi is bigger than BMW which in turn is bigger than Mercedes. In the US Audi doesnīt even sell half as much as Mercedes OR BMW.