IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Track Day Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 07:55 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Corrected for truth. The F is fun at the track, but you'll get completely smoked by a good driver in a Z06 - even a bone stock one, C5 or C6.
+1000 I speak from experience. You are also dead on re instructors. I have been running HPDE events for years now and I can still use a refresher or another point of view every now and again.
Old 11-02-11, 09:11 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with more tire yet. You would be far better off learning to drive the car the way it is. I just finished watching the video, and you would have benefitted immensely from having an instructor in the car. A lot of the reason you're getting understeer is related to what you are doing, not what the car is doing. As you get more practice, or better still, get a good instructor, you'll learn what to do and what not to do to keep the car happy and not have it understeer so much.
I did have an instructor drive my car the first 20 min session and then ride with me the next on both days.... don't worry my head isn't all big and I'm not thinking that either I or the F is "all that" ... LOL I know there's a hell of a lot more "faster" drivers and cars at these things than ME or the F !
Old 11-02-11, 11:29 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun. Are you in AUTO in the video ?
Old 11-03-11, 12:46 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Looks fun! Glad you had a great time.
Old 11-03-11, 04:38 AM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Looks like a great time. I would love to do that sometime.
Old 11-03-11, 05:45 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by James7
Looks like a lot of fun. Are you in AUTO in the video ?
I was mostly in auto (sport mode of course) but I did experiment with manual mode briefly on/off that day, so it might be during some of this vid, but not sure..... I was concentrating so hard on braking/when to turn that I thought it might be a good idea to wait a little longer to throw when to shift in there.... I'm definitely still a newbie on the track! Next time I will try to be mostly in manual, as avgjOF said, I think it would be better to be at higher RPM's most of the time....
Old 11-04-11, 03:23 PM
andysvette
Driver

Default Track Day

Don't get your head too gassed up. I passed a GTR in the green group, and got totally smoked by one in the yellow group. I have passed and I have been passed very convincingly by Corvettes. Trust me, the most important mod is to the nut behind the wheel, not the car.
True THAT!!
Old 11-04-11, 03:59 PM
TripleBlkF
Rookie

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I was mostly in auto (sport mode of course) but I did experiment with manual mode briefly on/off that day, so it might be during some of this vid, but not sure..... I was concentrating so hard on braking/when to turn that I thought it might be a good idea to wait a little longer to throw when to shift in there.... I'm definitely still a newbie on the track! Next time I will try to be mostly in manual, as avgjOF said, I think it would be better to be at higher RPM's most of the time....
DO IT IN MANUAL! You'll get some assistance on braking with the help of the engine...and, you'll know your speed on certain curves by gear/rpm relation to allow you to get better at a particualr track.
Old 11-05-11, 07:03 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

when i first started trackiung mine i ran with the novice and destroied everything... now that im out there with the club racer guys i still do well but GOOD drivers in 911, GTR & newer vette's are gonna own you. BUT again the words GOOD driver are used. R compounds make the ISF a whole new weapon out there...

Last edited by darbs242; 11-05-11 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-05-11, 06:01 PM
Super6
Driver

Originally Posted by andysvette
I did a track day two weeks ago at Road America (WI). This track is known for having the fastest straights with the slowest corners. Tires used, in the front Potenza's RE50's, 245 wide. Rear Hankook Ventus V12, 285 wide. Brake package Hawk HPS Plus in the front and stock in the rear. My ISF was fantastic!!!! I was running all day with modded Z06's

ISF was made for the track! Highly recommend doing a track day.
Are you running those tires on stock wheels. 245/40/19 and 285/35/19?
Old 11-05-11, 06:02 PM
Super6
Driver

I've done bicycle races on road tracks but that was bad ****!
Old 11-06-11, 06:36 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TripleBlkF
DO IT IN MANUAL! You'll get some assistance on braking with the help of the engine...and, you'll know your speed on certain curves by gear/rpm relation to allow you to get better at a particualr track.
I definitely will next time (have to wait till spring)

Originally Posted by darbs242
when i first started trackiung mine i ran with the novice and destroied everything... now that im out there with the club racer guys i still do well but GOOD drivers in 911, GTR & newer vette's are gonna own you. BUT again the words GOOD driver are used. R compounds make the ISF a whole new weapon out there...
are you talking about racing slicks on the F? if so, which tires/sizes/wheels, do you recommend?

Originally Posted by Super6
I've done bicycle races on road tracks but that was bad ****!
thx!
Old 11-06-11, 06:39 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by andysvette
I did a track day two weeks ago at Road America (WI). This track is known for having the fastest straights with the slowest corners. Tires used, in the front Potenza's RE50's, 245 wide. Rear Hankook Ventus V12, 285 wide. Brake package Hawk HPS Plus in the front and stock in the rear. My ISF was fantastic!!!! I was running all day with modded Z06's

ISF was made for the track! Highly recommend doing a track day.
Do you run these all the time (i.e. on the street) as well? Or, do you put those on just for track days....? (I'm trying to figure out which pads are best for DD but able to take the abuse at the track..... I keep thinking these or EBC yellowstuff are the answer... any insight?
Old 11-06-11, 09:40 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! Do any of you feel brake mods are critical for tracking?
Old 11-07-11, 07:11 AM
andysvette
Driver

Default Track Day

Originally Posted by Super6
Are you running those tires on stock wheels. 245/40/19 and 285/35/19?
Yes, these tires are mounted on stock OEM wheels.

My Lexus dealer who did the mounting and balancing did worn me that by going wider, the tire bead may not seal properly. I personal have not had this as an issue.

Quick Reply: Track Day Video