Track Day Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 07:28 AM
andysvette
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Do you run these all the time (i.e. on the street) as well? Or, do you put those on just for track days....? (I'm trying to figure out which pads are best for DD but able to take the abuse at the track..... I keep thinking these or EBC yellowstuff are the answer... any insight?
Yes, my wheels and brake package are used daily. I unfortunately don’t have a lot of experience with other brands, I do however have friends that are serous racers and all they use are Hauk. I have no complaints with the brake performance. On the front straight I would reach speeds of 150+mph. To me this is a true test for both brakes and tires. I had no fade in fact the hotter the pads got the better they worked.

Good luck with your search..
Old 11-07-11, 07:57 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by andysvette
Yes, my wheels and brake package are used daily. I unfortunately don’t have a lot of experience with other brands, I do however have friends that are serous racers and all they use are Hauk. I have no complaints with the brake performance. On the front straight I would reach speeds of 150+mph. To me this is a true test for both brakes and tires. I had no fade in fact the hotter the pads got the better they worked.

I just had my first HPDE 1 session this weekend at Summit Point and I was out there on stock brakes. On the main straight I hit 150 a few times and at the end we were practicing threshold braking and never once had a problem with brake fade. I did however wear down my pads significantly. I started with about 50% and by the end of my 6th 20 min session we could no no longer push the car 100% as a safety precaution.

The instructor I had (Raymond Lee) also runs his IS-F with 66k current miles on it. I asked him how often he tracks. He looked at me and said that half his total miles are probably on the track! He runs 90 sessions a season and was very supportive of the Carbotech XP10 pads for the front and 8's in the rear. Those are his only mods and with that much track experience in his IS-F I'll take his advice seriously.

This car is amazing out of the box!
Old 11-07-11, 10:29 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's no winning at an HPDE. If you want to win, you have to race - that's when the fast guys show up and school you bad.
Doesn't sound like he is trying to be Lewis Hamilton...just have fun. Loosen up.
Old 11-07-11, 01:14 PM
andysvette
Driver

I am surprised no one has mentioned gas mileage on the track. I averaged 6.6 MPG. A single track day and 2 tanks of gas later….

My buddy with is 2006 M3 did the exact same distance on 1 tank of gas.. Just saying.
Old 11-07-11, 02:22 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I definitely will next time (have to wait till spring)

are you talking about racing slicks on the F? if so, which tires/sizes/wheels, do you recommend?

thx!
On my stock wheels im running Toyo Proxy888 R compounds and wow what a difference. 235/19/35 and 265/19/30 in the rear and they kick the crap out of the RE11s I was runing in larger sizes. Also i was runing Hawk HP+ and i think they suck on the track... steped up to DOT 5.1 brake fluid and carbotech XP-12 in the front and XP-10 in the back strictly on the track and its like a race car now... no more brake fade after 40 minutes and i can slam on the brakes from 140-40 in 200 feet no problem for extended periods of time. Its the best track set up ive had yet. F power.... 5.4 mpg on the track...
Old 11-07-11, 06:34 PM
KiyomiF
Driver

This video makes me jealous

I can't wait to go!
Old 11-07-11, 06:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
...5.4 mpg on the track...
Same here. 5.2 - 5.4. Two half hour sessions per tank of gas at CMP. Love the Carbotechs at the track too. Zero fade issues as long as the VSC is off.
Old 11-07-11, 07:01 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by andysvette
Nice!!! I've only had my F up to 140mph (not on the track) .... Which track are you tracking yours? Maybe I need to make a trip to your track next year to get up to your speeds!

Originally Posted by caymandive
I just had my first HPDE 1 session this weekend at Summit Point and I was out there on stock brakes. On the main straight I hit 150 a few times and at the end we were practicing threshold braking and never once had a problem with brake fade. I did however wear down my pads significantly. I started with about 50% and by the end of my 6th 20 min session we could no no longer push the car 100% as a safety precaution.

The instructor I had (Raymond Lee) also runs his IS-F with 66k current miles on it. I asked him how often he tracks. He looked at me and said that half his total miles are probably on the track! He runs 90 sessions a season and was very supportive of the Carbotech XP10 pads for the front and 8's in the rear. Those are his only mods and with that much track experience in his IS-F I'll take his advice seriously.

This car is amazing out of the box!
That is a TON of track time/milage in the F!!!!

Originally Posted by PJJames
Doesn't sound like he is trying to be Lewis Hamilton...just have fun. Loosen up.
Definitely not!!!

Originally Posted by KiyomiF
This video makes me jealous

I can't wait to go!
I hope your planning on going this next year then!!!

Originally Posted by darbs242
On my stock wheels im running Toyo Proxy888 R compounds and wow what a difference. 235/19/35 and 265/19/30 in the rear and they kick the crap out of the RE11s I was runing in larger sizes. Also i was runing Hawk HP+ and i think they suck on the track... steped up to DOT 5.1 brake fluid and carbotech XP-12 in the front and XP-10 in the back strictly on the track and its like a race car now... no more brake fade after 40 minutes and i can slam on the brakes from 140-40 in 200 feet no problem for extended periods of time. Its the best track set up ive had yet. F power.... 5.4 mpg on the track...
Thanks for the info!!! I'll do some more digging!!! But i'm hoping to find some brakes that I won't have to change out just for track days....
Old 11-08-11, 12:39 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Same here. 5.2 - 5.4. Two half hour sessions per tank of gas at CMP. Love the Carbotechs at the track too. Zero fade issues as long as the VSC is off.
which carbotech brake compounds are you running?
Old 11-08-11, 04:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

XP12 front and XP10 rear. CMP is hard on brakes. I'm sure everyone has seen the rotor cracking I've posted as a result of CMP weekends.
Old 11-08-11, 09:56 AM
abpk20
Driver School Candidate

That video makes me want to go out to the track right now! Are the OEM rotors on the F prone to cracking under a lot of stress?
Old 11-08-11, 10:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

All drilled rotors crack more easily than slotted or blank rotors.