IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F or USED GTR 2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 05:36 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
I'm new here, but I see this question/comparison of the ISF and GTR often. Who started this? These two cars are not in the same league and shouldn't be used in the same sentence!
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This! I'll never understand why people want to compare a fast luxury sedan with a true sports car. It's almost like - Supra or F? Well, since I own both, I can say they're so different it's not an either or discussion. Same with the GTR - not an either or discussion. Figure out what you want to do, then ask which is appropriate for what you want to do.

If the goal is wow factor, don't waste your time with the F. It's not a wow car. The GTR is definitely a wow car in many ways - including the supercar maintenance bills.
Originally Posted by vraa
09 GT-R = out of warranty = lol ?
Originally Posted by Valkirk
Just ask yourself what your priorities are, I looked briefly at a GTR but for me luxury and reliability are first and foremost. It all depends what you want out of your car.
All of the above.

Coming from a genuine 996TT Techart, it may not matter to the OP, but for all of those saying the GTR without question, especially those who posted that they would get one if they could afford one, bear this in mind. The GTR is like the MKIV Supra turbo, in that many owners mod the cars and make really big power, so much so that the cars become top-of-the-food-chain missiles with which very few cars can compete. Here the similarities end, though. The Supra came with a cast iron block, a bulletproof Getrag 6MT and a TORSEN LSD. A true 800whp could be had with a series of comprehensive bolt-on upgrades that did not require opening up the motor and building it. If you did you own work, 800 whp could be had for roughly $10K and up to twice that much if a shop did it for you.

The GTR, on the other hand, requires serious money if you want to make serious power. How much you say? Well, check out this link to the SP Engineering website. SPE is, likely, the most successful builder of the R35 GTR in the world (and the builder and tuner of my two Supras). It is noted that, for the more powerful packages, tranny upgrades ranging from $15K to $40K are in addition to the price of the installed stage pricing. Take a gander: http://www.sp-power.com/services/gt-r/. I personally know of more than a few owners that have wired $250,000 to SPE, the first $100K to be used for the purchase of a BNIB car shipped directly to SPE and the remaining $150K for the Godzilla package and $40K tranny upgrades. So, be careful what you wish for, especially since, like the MKIV Supra of yore, it is getting exceedingly difficult to ride around in stock R35 GTRs and takes it a LOT of discipline to do so.

Carry on.