IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Question about oil change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 11:16 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question about oil change intervals

Before posting, I did a search on the forums and couldn't what I was looking for. Google has given me answers, but I wanted to post here since my question is specific for the F...

Is it completely necessary to change the oil every 6 months on the F? According to the manual the car should be serviced every 5k miles or 6 months (whichever comes first)... but is it OK to wait longer than 6 months, and does this have a negative impact on our engines long term? My most recent oil change was synthetic, and I know that more recent cars 2008+ don't require servicing that often. My next service appt only requires an oil change, inspection of brake pads/rotors and a test drive...

I know this is a performance car, so I just wanted some input on what all you guys do. Thx!
Old 11-15-11, 12:09 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GM DD has a oil life monitor. It keeps track of miles traveled and duration. It lights a "Change Oil Soon" light on my dash. I live in a rural area and I get the light around the 7,000 mark. Sometimes that might take a year.

Now with the F engine being higher compression and more powerful, you might need to change at the six month mark. I would think that the best way to determine how your oil is holding up is to send a sample in for analysis.
Old 11-15-11, 12:18 PM
Linkseal
Driver

I don't DD my F so about 12,000km per year.

I change engine oil every 4,000km, 3 times a year, or every 4 months, after winter,summer and before winter.
Old 11-15-11, 12:43 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think there is a thread on oil analysis created by Lobuxracer. I don't think you have to change at the recommended interval and can wait a little bit longer.
Old 11-15-11, 01:25 PM
ISFJames
Rookie

I think it also depends on your driving habits. I drive 90% highway most of the time. I tend to drive pass the 5k mark before I change my oil. On my Honda Fit, I went 11.5k before my oil meter hit 5%. Also, I was doing mostly highways.
Old 11-15-11, 01:29 PM
t0nyep
Driver School Candidate

I am debating on whether to get an oil change now or later, already hit the 15k mark cause I am going to drive it down to LA over thanksgiving. What do you guys recommend?
Old 11-15-11, 02:58 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t0nyep
I am debating on whether to get an oil change now or later, already hit the 15k mark cause I am going to drive it down to LA over thanksgiving. What do you guys recommend?
Maybe im confused..Your on the same oil and your at 15k? If thats the case you definately need an oil change. If your debating getting the oil change before or after your trip to LA i would say before. I hammer my F quite alot so i make sure to change it every 4k km. Doing it yourself saves alot of cash as the dealer always wants your money..
Old 11-15-11, 05:29 PM
t0nyep
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by staman
Maybe im confused..Your on the same oil and your at 15k? If thats the case you definately need an oil change. If your debating getting the oil change before or after your trip to LA i would say before. I hammer my F quite alot so i make sure to change it every 4k km. Doing it yourself saves alot of cash as the dealer always wants your money..
I do change at every 5k per recommendation but I've been reading that the oils can last longer.
Old 11-15-11, 10:57 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking I want to buy your cars, maybe.

From what I've been reading on this site, you guys must really like to change the oil in your cars.

Here are a few helpful hints on oil.

1. Change the oil at the recommended interval if it is dirty. If it is not dirty (black), then wait until it is. The six month thing is just a reason to suck you into the dealer. I've heard of the acid issue from oxidized oils but don't believe it and have never seen any evidence of it in a motor. My LS 430 had the oil in the crankcase for two years and it still looked clean. I drained it and put it in my boat. Still looks clean.
2. Synthetic oils can easily go 15,000 miles between changes. This is for a car that requires five quarts of oil. An F needs 10 quarts, so I wouldn't be concerned if it went 20K on normal driving. I'd probably change the oil after 10 K miles at 7500 RPM though. Even then it would probably be fine.
3. Do use a good grade of synthetic. It is a more durable oil with consistent carbon chains. The Wal Mart Supertech is a quality full synthetic engine oil. People who say it isn't don't understand oils.
4. If you drove steady at 75 MPH, day in and day out the quality synthetic would likely last 100,000 miles with nothing more than a couple of oil filter changes. Truckers do it all the time and they often don't even use synthetic.
5. Oil is a lot better than it was just 10 years ago. 40 years ago, oil actually did a good job of lubricating in our race cars. We really had few problems and changed oil in our passenger cars at 5000 miles. We had no problems and the air filters were a joke.
6. Sometimes I wonder about people who change oil excessively and don't pre-fill the oil filter thus starting the engine with inadequate oil on the engine bearings.

Old 11-16-11, 07:08 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info. I will check my oil periodically and change it accordingly.
Old 11-17-11, 03:05 PM
Cleo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lorenr
From what I've been reading on this site, you guys must really like to change the oil in your cars.

Here are a few helpful hints on oil.

1. Change the oil at the recommended interval if it is dirty. If it is not dirty (black), then wait until it is. The six month thing is just a reason to suck you into the dealer. I've heard of the acid issue from oxidized oils but don't believe it and have never seen any evidence of it in a motor. My LS 430 had the oil in the crankcase for two years and it still looked clean. I drained it and put it in my boat. Still looks clean.
2. Synthetic oils can easily go 15,000 miles between changes. This is for a car that requires five quarts of oil. An F needs 10 quarts, so I wouldn't be concerned if it went 20K on normal driving. I'd probably change the oil after 10 K miles at 7500 RPM though. Even then it would probably be fine.
3. Do use a good grade of synthetic. It is a more durable oil with consistent carbon chains. The Wal Mart Supertech is a quality full synthetic engine oil. People who say it isn't don't understand oils.
4. If you drove steady at 75 MPH, day in and day out the quality synthetic would likely last 100,000 miles with nothing more than a couple of oil filter changes. Truckers do it all the time and they often don't even use synthetic.
5. Oil is a lot better than it was just 10 years ago. 40 years ago, oil actually did a good job of lubricating in our race cars. We really had few problems and changed oil in our passenger cars at 5000 miles. We had no problems and the air filters were a joke.
6. Sometimes I wonder about people who change oil excessively and don't pre-fill the oil filter thus starting the engine with inadequate oil on the engine bearings.

So, for a brand new 2011 car where the oil has been sitting in the engine for about a year, I wouldn't have to worry about changing the oil immediately when I take it home?
Old 11-18-11, 12:08 AM
Legato
Driver

It´s kind of confusing to me that you have 5000 mile service intervals for the F in the US. In Sweden we have 15000 km intervals (9375 miles). In the UK they have 10000 miles...
Old 11-18-11, 05:57 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Every year/15,000kms here in Australia too!
Old 11-18-11, 07:19 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I don't think the F has been designed differently in other countries, if it's once a year or 10K miles in other countries, I can't see why that would be a problem if we did that here in the US.
Old 11-18-11, 10:53 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Cleo
So, for a brand new 2011 car where the oil has been sitting in the engine for about a year, I wouldn't have to worry about changing the oil immediately when I take it home?
I wouldn't bother..... Nothing damaging has happened to the oil..

Just wait till you get to 5K miles and then do the first change.

Mine was 9 months old with under 50 miles when I bought it.. No oil issues.

I just DIY changed it every 5K with regular mobil dino oil .. The "5k" one..

I will be coming up on my 10th oil change in a few months, as I just did my 9th!!

Will probably post a 3 year / 50K mile personal review as well..

Bottom line is don't, drain out clean oil...

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-18-11 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about oil change intervals