IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

[Important] I need the collective help of the ISF community, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 07:04 PM
Straightik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I can say that it will be hard to find a dealer that is patient enough to essentially do a custom alignment rather than just put it on the machine and make minimal adjustments. I had to fight hard to get them to do it.
This will be my first service trip to my dealer so I'm def going to feel it out, and make sure they're competent to do such a job. So far my conversations with the technician on the phone has been pleasurable but when they realize what needs to be done it might be a different story. Did your overall fix end up being "worn Valve guides" like the others that had theirs fixed?
Old 04-03-12, 09:05 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Straightik
This will be my first service trip to my dealer so I'm def going to feel it out, and make sure they're competent to do such a job. So far my conversations with the technician on the phone has been pleasurable but when they realize what needs to be done it might be a different story. Did your overall fix end up being "worn Valve guides" like the others that had theirs fixed?
My valve guides showed no wear. They never gave me a official cause but I can tell you what the found. Cylinder out of round (1), scoring on walls of all cylinders, valve springs compressed and squared, thrust bearings with unusual wear. Mind you this car is a grocery getter that has never been raced, tracked or abused.
Repair was light hone on all cylinders to square up one and break glaze and remove scoring on all; new valve springs (new springs are different part than originals as determined by different paint markings on the springs); valves lapped into seats; all new crank bearings; all new assembly bolts; new water pump (old was leaking); new oil scavenger pump; new filter and 10QT Mobil 1.
And last but not least several alignments to make sure the subframe was centered. Oh one more thing the return trip to have the three dents removed from the top of my fenders from weight being placed on them during install.
The heads were built at a local race shop contracted by the dealer and the assembly of everything was completed in the shop foreman's office for cleanliness and temperature control.