IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Been around show cars for a long time soon to be new here

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 12:51 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been around show cars for a long time soon to be new here

Taking owner ship of an IS-F first sign of spring weather. It came down to IS-F, GTR, or a CTS-V Coupe. I chose the IS-F because I want something classy, with decent power, and while still remaining good on gas. So Ive had my share of show cars, as well as drag monsters. Been lurking around here for a short while, not seeing anything close to what Im looking to do to the IS-F.... And that is basically bag it on ultra low offset rear wheels with negative camber. Also looking to fab up my s/c kit using the GT500 eaton.

Has anyone sucessfully bagged the IS-F or will I have to be a first again I also noticed almost none of you are running taller tires with stretch...
Old 12-05-11, 03:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

What's with the SICK posting name

Lou
Old 12-05-11, 03:47 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lowrideraz

Lou
Idk I went there so seems fitting
Old 12-05-11, 03:47 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

You might be the first to bag it. Some use lowering springs - some use coil overs - all try to keep rubber on the inside of the front tires.

The common and proven performance mod is headers and exhaust. No one has cracked the ECU so turbos and superchargers are rare.

Welcome. I take it from the name that you are Jerry from Sandusky Ohio.
Old 12-05-11, 03:52 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Lou
I Lol'd.

Welcome!

Why bag a performance car that handles well? Slam it on coilovers!
Old 12-05-11, 03:57 PM
8gears
Driver School Candidate

Lou
+1
Old 12-05-11, 04:00 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tenspeed
You might be the first to bag it. Some use lowering springs - some use coil overs - all try to keep rubber on the inside of the front tires.

The common and proven performance mod is headers and exhaust. No one has cracked the ECU so turbos and superchargers are rare.

Welcome. I take it from the name that you are Jerry from Sandusky Ohio.
Ya sorta my dads name is Jerry and I am from Sandusky Ohio. I also went to PSU so its such a fitting name for a forum.

Ya I was the first to bag a Hyundai Genesis in the states which was a nightmare. The suspension looks to be similar to B8 Audi's so Bagyard is going to be making me custom Bilstein air struts with sleeve bags in the rear and double bellows up front. Cant wait to get the car so I can measure for frame notches, or whatever mods I have to do to lay oil pan.

I also will soon have the first supercharged 2.5l 2008 Rabbit in the world so that is nice too. Im no stranger to standalone tuning, Ive done AEM Talons, Hondas. MS Ive done Subies, a handfull of VW R32's all running piggyback off the ECU which Im going to attempt on this. I have a guy who does cnc work so Im thinking custom intake manifold and GT500 blower with a custom AWIC spacer, which Im using on the Rabbit as well. I will make my own headers and true quad v-band exhaust.

Like I said I need to get the car before I end up changing my mind again... I almost got a used 09 GTR last week for 59k
Old 12-05-11, 04:04 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
I Lol'd.

Welcome!

Why bag a performance car that handles well? Slam it on coilovers!
Because there is just something about poke, stretch and laying frame that I cant get enough of Who says performance is at all hindered by bags. If anything a proper bag setup will handle better than coils. WIth a digital management you can have the car corner balanced and saved as a preset level, for on the fly adjustment. I was at the SEMA musclecar shootout, and they all had AirRideTechnologies kits The only problem would be if I have to remove the front sway bar like you do on the VW Mkv
Old 12-05-11, 04:12 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be hard to get advice from folks here without 1st owning an IS-F, as no one will take you seriously. Spring is months down the road and according to you, your decision on an IS-F can be swayed.......just saying.

I recommend searching for threads from "caymandive." He's one of the moderators here and have shared extensively, his experiences/research with mods to his own IS-F. You can learn pretty much all you need to know about the IS-F engine from his threads.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-11, 04:14 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Check out Figs. They have suspension pieces that look great and are adjustable.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...enderings.html
Old 12-05-11, 04:29 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PurduePete
It will be hard to get advice from folks here without 1st owning an IS-F, as no one will take you seriously. Spring is months down the road and according to you, your decision on an IS-F can be swayed.......just saying.

I recommend searching for threads from "caymandive." He's one of the moderators here and have shared extensively, his experiences/research with mods to his own IS-F. You can learn pretty much all you need to know about the IS-F engine from his threads.

Good luck.
Oh I completely understand. It can only be swayed by what I determine is the limit of customization, but at the end of the day its just a Toyota with class. The only reason I made an account early is to figure out why it seems noone is testing the limits of the car, but mostly to see how extensive the IS-F community is with taking this car to new levels. Also looks like alot of people throw on expensive gaudy wheels and call it modified. If thats the extent of what most do to the car then ya my decision will be swayed heavily

Ill check out his threads, but Im no stranger to displacement and building powerfull reliable cars.
Old 12-05-11, 04:34 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Check out Figs. They have suspension pieces that look great and are adjustable.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...enderings.html
Hmm. Thanks, those will help with the rear stance for sure
Old 12-05-11, 04:40 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Im saying not till spring as I have two projects that have to be finished, and sold before I buy a brand new
IS-F. The MKV and the Vr6 Haldex swapped 91 Corrado(already sold)
Old 12-05-11, 06:30 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome. Sounds like your in for a big project if you do get the IS-F. I'm sure everyone would give you big props if your able to put in a S/C and tune it. Several people, companies, shops have already tried it with no success because all Toyota ECUs are locked and always will be. The other brand cars you mentioned are all tunable and have stand alones available to buy for tuning. Maybe you can get a JDM ecu and try something with that. Good luck though.