IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 04:41 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Fast
Turbos i was thinking some precision 6262, but really depends on the space we have. Still gotta make the manifolds for the turbos so its still something that hasnt been designed/built/made since our main focus as of right now is the tune. But ill ask them what they are thinking of going with. Also, i was thinking of juice at take off since proefi can control nitrous aswell, alot still getting discussed.

As for money, i cant discuss that since they are doing the whole thing as r&d. We still have to get this installed and see if we can control the drivers for the mechanical fuel pumps. If we can it should be go from there. If not, we will need additional drivers to bypass the oem and control them. So money wise, we still arent sure what it will be, but i can say its in the thousands(plural) area as of right now.
This will be 3-5 grand to tune your car by the end of it all...hot dam this is gonna be sweet and leave a really serious sour taste all at the same time
Old 08-31-12, 05:14 PM
Bugermass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be getting started as soon as we can .. I spent all of last week with Jason Seibles (Owner of ProEFI) at ProEFI and we went over alot of strategy, new products coming up, ideas for the future and just general feedback from what I've seen in the field. I had a great time and learned ALOT, plus got to play with and see some really neat stuff. Anyways, we did spend some time discussing the DI stuff and we will have his full support to get all this working, including whatever custom strategies that may need to be written to make everything function properly. I'm pretty excited myself, as for me this will be a fun adenture into the realm of DI and just in the research alone I've learned ALOT of interesting things about it from a very detailed technical standpoint. We'll keep you guys posted on the progress!!

BTW, the ISF we ordered for our company to do RnD arrived.. ::Evil Grin::
Old 08-31-12, 05:35 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

I cant wait to see how far that one goes before it goes BOOM!

I cant wait. Glad you had a good one. We starting on it on tuesday of next week?
Old 08-31-12, 07:52 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats too expensive for the average person. Unless your throwing turbos on it than there is no reason to pay so much for a tune.
Old 08-31-12, 11:28 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Heres an example zapa. And you can agree or disagree bro. Its entirely up to you.

Carbon fiber lip on a honda @ 200-350 price range. Isf near 1k dollars and more.

Hondata tune civic about 300 bux with all included, give or take a few hundred, depending on fhip and proper ecu. Toyota supra standalone @ 2200, with keyword MANY different to choose from startig with piggyback, greddy profecb, safc, to full standalone aem, motec proefi.

Now, the fact these guys have stepped to the plate, and making it a probability to get it done will allow them to put their price on their items, and since you can run flex fuel without changing maps is a big plus.

Motec quoted me for 11k to do it. My answer was no.

These guys said they wanted to give it a go, so i did; if all goes successful, im sure people who bought a 70k dollar car, willing to mod it with turbos and nitrous, will not mind spending thousands of dollars on a properly tuned isf. If i wanted to go with something in the 500-900 dollar area, hondata, kpro, dsm link(which i had and used) nistune...... would all be good options in those cars which use it. Thats how i feel about it, and im sure others will say the same.

Dont wanna sound like a douche, cuz the guys that know me know i am all about helping and am nowhere near the douchebag category. Just speaking the truth. Average joes usuall dont drive these cars either. And the ones that do, know that in order to play, you gotta pay
Old 09-01-12, 12:26 AM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

^^ douchebag. lol just wanna show some love for Elmer and let everybody know he's a stand up guy. good luck with this project and I hope to hear some good progress in the upcoming weeks.
Old 09-01-12, 05:29 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Pretty exciting to know something is in the works! An F with bolt ons and a tune would be insane! Good luck to the RnD team!
Old 09-01-12, 05:47 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

3 grand would be expectable for a decent gain, thats what a 911 turbo or R8 something in that range cost to flash... i dunno where he got 300 bucks for a civic... thats even a G. 600 for a hondata flashpro then 300/400 for tuning... 5-10 grand for 40-60 wheel is retarted. Paying over $100 a horse isnt worth it to me. i gained 150 horse with a bottle and a button for 2000 with a nice set up installed. If your boosting it will be a must, but if you can afford to drop 15-20k on a isf turbo kit or blower, 5k to tune it shouldnt be a big deal
Old 09-01-12, 07:07 AM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I only paid $700 for a custom re-flash for my Crossfire SRT-6. These guys specialized in Mercedes AMG motors.
Old 09-01-12, 07:58 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I think you guys need to realize that what is being done is extremely difficult, time consuming, and not guaranteed. Nobody has been able to accomplish what the goals for this project are. Im sure we've all heard of this formula

Choose 2
A. Cheap
B. Reliable
C. Fast

We should all be supportive of that is being attempted instead of complaining about bang for the buck. The real bang for the buck is going to be a 800hp TT ISF that can be driven on the street because someone put in the time, money, and sweat that others didn't. If anyone feels like the price is too high, call up Titan motorsprots and ask them how much it would cost to make a 20 year old supra a rock soled 800hp beast. This game we play is not cheap my friends.

Edit: Check out this video.
http://www.thatvideomagazine.com/new...nny-ten-racing

Last edited by MRxSLAYx; 09-01-12 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-01-12, 08:59 AM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I certainly understand, it just may be too far out there for many to take advantage of it. I am extremely interested in following where this goes but at the same time, hope it is not too far out there that we cannot enjoy all the hard work that went into it.
Old 09-01-12, 01:29 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I would keep this car for a very long time if I could tune it, and wouldn't blink and eye at a 3k price tag if you could fully & reliably control fuel delivery. I think this car could make 450whp on intake pipe, headers, exhaust, (maybe ported/polished intake manifold), and a tune...though the F/I possibilities are much more exciting.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up on this, even though this is the most promising attempt to date that I have read about.
Old 09-03-12, 02:32 PM
1supra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I think you guys need to realize that what is being done is extremely difficult, time consuming, and not guaranteed. Nobody has been able to accomplish what the goals for this project are. Im sure we've all heard of this formula

Choose 2
A. Cheap
B. Reliable
C. Fast

We should all be supportive of that is being attempted instead of complaining about bang for the buck. The real bang for the buck is going to be a 800hp TT ISF that can be driven on the street because someone put in the time, money, and sweat that others didn't. If anyone feels like the price is too high, call up Titan motorsprots and ask them how much it would cost to make a 20 year old supra a rock soled 800hp beast. This game we play is not cheap my friends.
to answer you question on the supra.....a hell of alot less than a isf. And 800 is just getting started on a stock block..1300+ and things get exciting and expensive. Im not sure why anyone would want to take a isf to 800 hp unless you have plenty money to burn and way too much freetime on your hands. But its great to hear someone is getting close to tuning a toyota ecu..IF what ever strategy being used to do so could apply to some other toyotas,that would make this project extremely worthwhile and quite lucrative to boot.stand alones are such a pita.. Imagine a affordable sct type tuning device for toyota models.. millions to be made if that ever happened.. Not many standalone systems could compete with a well tuned yota stock ecu.if that were possible.
Old 09-03-12, 06:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Here's the deal. This thread isn't about HP/dollar or what it's going to cost, or how long it's going to take. Let's leave the pointless banter alone. There are some here who will pay the price and others who won't. Discussing it won't change that, so I am going to politely ask we focus on the project itself and the progress being made to finally solve the tuning issue.

Speculation about marketability, ultimate pricing, the value of adding power to the IS F, and other spurious discussions will be trimmed from the thread. If you want to post here, let's be focused on the project and not the issues around the project.

Again, they're doing something no one has done in the history of Lexus performance - giving us the ability to tune AND keep all the OEM stuff working. It's hard. Very hard. It will take time. It won't automagically go right the first time. And yes, it's going to cost a lot of time, money, and frustration.

I'd rather see this thread focused on the success of the project than a whole lot of speculation about everything else, so let's stay on track.
Old 09-03-12, 07:10 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,336 Posts

^^^^Lance, very well put, I couldn't have verbalized is better myself. Thank You

Lou

Quick Reply: ECU tuning