IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 07:17 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Waiting for the finish product , count me in as the group buy.
Old 09-05-12, 07:59 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks lobux for stepping in. And as you stated aswell with mr slay, its what we have been wanting from day one though noone attempted it. So we will see how it goes. Ready for the weekend to drop of the f at the boys shop and get this started. Cant wait!

And on a side note, i find it hard to believe it myself, but I can say i have a ZL1 camaro tucked in my pocket.

From a 70 to about 130-140 i had about two cars on him. Some douche guy in austin probably after the game. I put my windows down to ask him if the car was stock, he raised his windows and took a red light. But i did get him pretty good so i was pretty excited about that
Old 09-05-12, 09:39 AM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

racecaw lol i swear you got a factory freak Elmer. need to run you again!
Old 09-05-12, 11:33 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by F4Fast
Thanks lobux for stepping in. And as you stated aswell with mr slay, its what we have been wanting from day one though noone attempted it. So we will see how it goes. Ready for the weekend to drop of the f at the boys shop and get this started. Cant wait!

And on a side note, i find it hard to believe it myself, but I can say i have a ZL1 camaro tucked in my pocket.

From a 70 to about 130-140 i had about two cars on him. Some douche guy in austin probably after the game. I put my windows down to ask him if the car was stock, he raised his windows and took a red light. But i did get him pretty good so i was pretty excited about that
Haha Nice Kill. The new camaro platform has been disappointing IMO
Old 09-06-12, 11:02 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Haha Nice Kill. The new camaro platform has been disappointing IMO
I would agree, plus the roads are saturated with these cars. I havent been excited by these camaros since the first transformers.

I tried to test drive one when it first came out. Chevy dealers were treating them like gold. They wouldn't even let me sit in the ****.

While Lexus would let me take the isf for a spin and then let me compare it to the 350.
Old 09-06-12, 11:16 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read last night in my new Car and Driver where they compared the ZL1 to the M6. Said the ZL1 did 4.4 0-60 and 12.7 @ 113 in the quarter mile. That sounds like what a normal Camaro would do. Just doesn't add up even though it weighs over 4400lbs.

Sorry, off topic.
Old 09-06-12, 02:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

STAY _ ON _ TOPIC!

Last request. Deleting posts starts with the next off topic.
Old 09-07-12, 06:35 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Hey lobux, got a quick story about last nite, kinda off topic but goes falls into the topic out of coincidence. Giving you a warning since i know you posted no off topic but believe me you will like the news.

So, yesterday, we(me and bryanisf) went to the fourth Stance Autoworks meet in houston just to relax, kick it and show our toys. Theres a few tacomas there, running boost and looking real good. A guy in a M3 shows up and we hae a quick run, from a roll he took me pretty bad by a few cars(int headers exhaust on the m e92 v8 coupe) and from a dig it was a fair race. We go back and we are talking about the race and how the toyota ecu needs to be done. Well the M3 guy is friends with one of the toyota guys. Me and this cat start talking and HE is running PROEFI!!!!!!!!! I was excited to head this, and what made it more interesting, our ecu plugs are similar, if not, the same ones! He told me he had a hard time finding the right plugs so it had to get hardwired and what not. So he said while getting tuned and talking to Chris, he had heard of a white isf getting the tune done and hoping this would open the doors for the isf. That is my car he had heard about, and he went ape**** after hearing this.

So with all this said, it looks like the tune and the power we are looking for is looking better and better.

The tacoma is a newer v6 4.0 with the newer ecu system. There was no way to getting this style tuned because it couldnt be found or hadnt been done from what the owner of the tacoma told me. Proefi was the first and is the only to do it and succeed. His numbers were very strong, at 390whp and over 400lbs.ft of torque.

This really, really has given me a good feeling towards this system. Tomorrow is the day ahe gets dropped off and when they will start on the tune. Im very excited to hear this about the tacoma, as they share possibly the same ecu as the isf if not similar, and had a successful turnout.

Again lobux, it was a bit off topic, but i would like to hear your input since i know how well rounded you are towards the toyota fam. Do you know if they share the same ecu, or similar? Isthe harness connectors the same? I mean ifthey are similar or the same, we should be seeing positive and good things on this pretty soon. In a matter of weeks at most.

Will keep you boys updated as much as i can after tomorrow, and aee how this turns out After hearing the results and the way they spoke of the Proefi people, aswell as knowing the brainea behind the system is going to be working really close and be very involved on my car, i have alot of faith on a positive outcome.
Old 09-07-12, 08:54 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

The only thing I would caution is the Tacoma is running a V-6 with a whole lot less than 16 injectors. That's the biggest hurdle here. Lexus does a lot of cool stuff with those port injectors and if they're not doing what the factory intended, the consequences are unknown. Might be OK, might be disaster. I'm sure this is why they would prefer a way to "pass through" the port injector signal at part throttle, then take over control completely at larger throttle openings. The issue there is, you'll need 16 injector drivers - 8 for DI and 8 for port. Also, the last thing you want to screw up is the DI timing. Getting the fuel in the combustion chamber at exactly the right time is fundamental to the engine working right with the compression ratio it has. The fuel's evaporation (state change from liquid to gas) when it is injected is critical to reducing temperature and octane sensitivity. So there's WAY more going on with the 2UR-GSE to consider, and screwing with any of it has unknown consequences. Hopefully there's enough information in the patent documents to help someone figure out how to make it work without risking the engine.

There's still plenty more to consider, but I think these are the unique things about the 2UR-GSE which will slow progress - unless you're willing to blow up a few engines to find out what works and what doesn't. I've never been a big fan of repairing a detonated engine, but I've done it a time or two. I call it experience.
Old 09-07-12, 09:08 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Thanks for your input lobux. And those are things that did come into the convo. Almost identical words aswell from the guys who know the engine. One of them was a guy who made the rear mounted turbo kits for the isf's. He wasnt a tuner, just a fab guy, but he was aware of the guys from artisan not wanting to so the proper tune. Which is why he left them and went to profab. But, all this aside, im glad they were able to get his truck going, gives me a good hope.
Old 09-09-12, 09:39 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Well guys, quick update. Car has been dropped off but wont get started until end of this week. They are currently working on a fr-s to get tuned and boosted aswell. Same owner of the tacoma. Cant wait to see that outcome. Will try to keep you guys updated with pics and as much stuff as i can.
Old 09-09-12, 11:20 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This tune appears promising, I am wishing for a positive outcome, unlike the MHP debacle we all remember that one. F4 keep us posted on the progress and best of luck to the guys at Proefi.

Last edited by LexISguy; 09-09-12 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-09-12, 07:20 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck F4Fast, I'm rooting for you.
Old 09-10-12, 06:19 AM
madastep
Pole Position

I've got my finger crossed as well
Old 09-10-12, 06:27 AM
ilv1004s