IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 03:05 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Fast
It can be broken, but those hackers you speak of probably have no clue as to what the hell tuning is. They just know 1010.1001010.10101010.1111.
LOL!!!! That probably is so true that made the rest of my week...
Old 09-20-12, 06:34 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by staman
The security is actually Bosch encryption, it doesn't really have anything to do with toyota..
And in typical Bosch/Toyota ECU fashion, important leads and functionality have been removed to stop things like unofficial flashing. Unlike the Subarus/Mitsu ECUs, Toyota wasn't nice enough to "Oops, we left JTAG available, silly us!" since their typical customers don't buy their cars to tune 5 minutes after they leave the lot. Hell, security on the Subaru ROMs to prevent flashing was laughable. All the ECU did was to validate the checksum of the ROM, which was bypassed by writing a 0 to the checksum ROM location.

I had a Mini ECU in hand to help a friend... and did my research on my Lexus ECU. Goddamnit Bosch was muttered a few times.

If whomever wants it, I might be of some help. I've got some experience using IDA to reverse engineer ECU ROMs. I also wrote my own tuning package that can be tailored for use with any ROM. Its not open source, but can be made available for free if needed. I'm not looking to make money.

I wish the people who are working towards this all the luck in the world. More importantly, I wish them all the time in the world!
Old 09-20-12, 06:39 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by F4Fast
One of the toughest to crack. We use those on our BigBore MaxxForce 11,13 and 15 liter engines. Insane how muh pressure those things can push out. 40k psi+ output on the pump.

It can be broken, but those hackers you speak of probably have no clue as to what the hell tuning is. They just know 1010.1001010.10101010.1111.
Some of us know computers pretty well AND love putting our efforts into tuning cars. The problem is ROI. I can either work myself sick trying to break Bosch encryption, which might either get me in trouble or be bested by other means. OR I can put my efforts into more profitable ventures and more easily buy another car along side my ISF thats more in line with my tuning desires.

I purposefully got my ISF so I would stop spending so much time hacking my cars.
Old 09-20-12, 07:12 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to get the old gang back together again?

Originally Posted by tgui
And in typical Bosch/Toyota ECU fashion, important leads and functionality have been removed to stop things like unofficial flashing. Unlike the Subarus/Mitsu ECUs, Toyota wasn't nice enough to "Oops, we left JTAG available, silly us!" since their typical customers don't buy their cars to tune 5 minutes after they leave the lot. Hell, security on the Subaru ROMs to prevent flashing was laughable. All the ECU did was to validate the checksum of the ROM, which was bypassed by writing a 0 to the checksum ROM location.

I had a Mini ECU in hand to help a friend... and did my research on my Lexus ECU. Goddamnit Bosch was muttered a few times.

If whomever wants it, I might be of some help. I've got some experience using IDA to reverse engineer ECU ROMs. I also wrote my own tuning package that can be tailored for use with any ROM. Its not open source, but can be made available for free if needed. I'm not looking to make money.

I wish the people who are working towards this all the luck in the world. More importantly, I wish them all the time in the world!
Old 09-20-12, 07:19 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by crazymikie
Time to get the old gang back together again?

LOL, yeah. Jesus, good memories. If only the rest of the gang had the foresight to buy ISFs. My wife would kill me if she found out I was talking about ECU things again.
Old 09-20-12, 09:41 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I remember very similar threads on MR2OC that were pages and pages long with attempts to hack the 3SGTE ECU.
Old 09-22-12, 05:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

If it were only as simple as cracking Bosch it would have been done years ago. I have a very good friend who has a degree in computer engineering for embedded systems. If you've bought a tune from APR, you know his work. He spent 3 years trying to crack the Scion tC ECM and determined it wouldn't happen without completely disassembling the chip through an acid etch process. Sorry, but Toyota really does take security very seriously.

I've been chasing this windmill since the middle 90's. It isn't going to happen.
Old 09-22-12, 06:46 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No updates huh
Old 09-24-12, 10:13 AM
Strokergsr
Driver

We are still waiting on the OEM ECU connectors from the supplier so we can make everything a plug n play affair. ProEFI and all other hardware has been in and ready to go other than those stock connectors.
Old 09-24-12, 10:23 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

It's hard not to get excited and think about the possibilities if you guys finally get this sorted out......
Old 09-26-12, 08:35 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Believe me bud, i am anxious for this, as is gsrstroker. Bro congrats on the 86. It looks so sick! Hopefully i can be there when you guys dyno it.
Old 09-26-12, 05:24 PM
Troy
Driver School Candidate

I emailed Cobb but they said no go.
Old 09-26-12, 06:22 PM
juicedisF
Driver School Candidate

such an amazing platform to open up its true potential not being possible is a blower
Old 09-26-12, 06:34 PM
Troy
Driver School Candidate

Really. I wouldn't even consider doing an engine modification until I'm able to tune it. Cobb said I would have to email AEM and see if they were considering doing a stand alone ecm for it.
Old 09-26-12, 08:30 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the ECM tuners are hot on releasing the FRS and BRZ tunes right now, I doubt you will find any company willing to look into the F unless they are small market.
~Dv8

Quick Reply: ECU tuning