IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

annoying rattle from front right side dash.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 08:11 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default annoying rattle from front right side dash.

Hi Guys,

I'm getting this annoying squeaking from dash just above the glove box, not sure why but it's squeaking like crazy when I go over bumps in the road and it's driving me CRAZY...

I've given it a few choice thumps with my hand, it's like something is loose just under the rubber dash and rubbing or something...

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-05-11, 08:16 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hmm above the glove box eh?? isn't that where the cabin airfilter is located..check that too see if its tightly snugged in.
Old 12-05-11, 09:05 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i had similar problem on the left side and it was fixed by the dealer by adding more insulation. Today I noticed that the rear view mirror is loose and I will get that fixed too in next few days.
Old 12-06-11, 05:59 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having the same problem... it's the only thing that rattles in my car. The ratting for me is actually coming below the glove box. I need to take a day off and go to the dealer to get little things done like topping off coolant and getting the glove box insulated.
Old 12-06-11, 10:13 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I'm having the same problem... it's the only thing that rattles in my car. The ratting for me is actually coming below the glove box. I need to take a day off and go to the dealer to get little things done like topping off coolant and getting the glove box insulated.
You shouldn't have to "top off" coolant...it is a closed system, if you are low on coolant you are either leaking it, or burning it.
Old 12-06-11, 11:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,995 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
You shouldn't have to "top off" coolant...it is a closed system, if you are low on coolant you are either leaking it, or burning it.
So how does the water in it keep from evaporating from the reservoir (which is vented to atmosphere) over time? That would be a pretty neat trick if you could actually do it. Every Toyota I've owned with factory coolant is usually low after a few years. Add some distilled and life is all good again.
Old 12-06-11, 12:00 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dinardalvi
i had similar problem on the left side and it was fixed by the dealer by adding more insulation. Today I noticed that the rear view mirror is loose and I will get that fixed too in next few days.
I had the same shaky mirror problem with my 08. The dealer replaced it, free of cost, with an updated mirror that was slightly larger and had the homelink buttons on the front face instead of on the bottom.
Old 12-06-11, 12:08 PM
madastep
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem, but i haven't gone into the dealer to fix it. it's only every so often, but it's annoying as hell
Old 12-06-11, 03:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Make sure you empty out the Glove Box, Sunglass holder, Ash Tray, Center console and both Door pockets...

Sometimes loose change, items or goods can create rattle sounds...

Regards,

~ Joe Z
Old 12-07-11, 03:12 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Originally Posted by dinardalvi
Yes, if I bang just above the glove box door it squeaks. I took a video with my Iphone and I'll post it later.

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
I had the same shaky mirror problem with my 08. The dealer replaced it, free of cost, with an updated mirror that was slightly larger and had the homelink buttons on the front face instead of on the bottom.
I have this problem too! Especially if you are playing music, it's pretty annoying. Glad I have the extended warranty! Gotta get in there fix the noises and that mirror. There is also some rattle in the rear that's bothersome but not nearly as bad as the dash.

This only happens when the dash warms up after being driven for 1 HR +
Old 12-07-11, 11:20 AM
zazzn
Instructor

http://youtu.be/uWsku74RSLE
Old 12-07-11, 02:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Eric, have the dealership check it out if your still under warranty.... They usually have to PULL the whole dash to replace the felt lined clips with better ones..

Also, did you try what I mentioned in Post# 9??

If you do bring it in, have them check the wheels after those nasty potholes you were hitting

~ Joe Z
Old 12-08-11, 08:20 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's pretty bad... I'll take a video of mine either tomorrow or this weekend.
Old 12-11-11, 10:19 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Hah, the pot holes weren't as bad as they sounded.... I took it to the stealership and the put some more foam in... The car had the 100000k extended warranty however, when I bought it off the owner the warranty doesn't transfer so it's out of warranty now .

Anyways, the dealership I took it to hooked it up large, they had the tech come right away and he just installed some extra foam and the whole squeak is gone... sooooo happy....

Kinda worried about this car since it's out of warranty now, wondering if I should have just bought CERT pre-owned... I have the shaky rear mirror problem and now my heat only works when I step on the gas (either themostat but I think it must just be low on coolant because it wouldn't make sense to heat up so quickly when i step on it)

Joe Z, do you have any cruising videos with your exhaust, was thinking of purchasing one, but I don't want to deal with drone since this is my DD. I'm not trying to make a race car just a fast car
Old 12-12-11, 06:31 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just wait until your car gets older and its bones squeak even more
id get that fixed tho while you can

Quick Reply: annoying rattle from front right side dash.