IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 02:44 AM
Rbtmatt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2008 F a couple weeks ago from a Toyota dealer (lease return). It had a SRT CAI and the dealer removed it before they listed it for sale (but posted pics with the CAI). They included the SRT when I bought the car. About a week later, I decided to re-install the SRT on the car. The install went pretty easy. When I first started the car after install, the car ran pretty rough. I just figured in was the ECU re-calibrating itself. After about two minutes all seemed to be well and it ran good on the test drive.... sounded even better!

The next day and

I started to get all kinds of warning lights including the check engine. I hooked up my OBII sensor and got eight different codes. I immediately removed the CAI and replaced the stock air box. I later learned of the ECU modifications that need to be done with the SRT! Then did some research (better late than never!) and found some pretty negative issues with the SRT CAI! I think I'll get rid of the SRT and get another intake.
Attached Thumbnails Intake-isf-2.jpg  
Old 12-28-11, 09:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

^^^^Research better late than never SRT Products have so many bad owner experiences and reviews - A BIG for all the crap they make

Lou
Old 12-28-11, 12:46 PM
FOVFR421
Rookie

I just got my 2 Christmas presents yesterday and today and did a quick install on the Joe Z pipe and Tom's filter. My first impression is great for horsepower and pickup. It seems much quieter at idle but sounds great when accelerating!

I followed the directions and gave it 8 minutes of idling and then took it out for a spin. I am anxious to see if I keep the gains through the ECU reprogramming.

I also love the look of the blue JOE Z pipe!

Thanks Joe!
Attached Thumbnails Intake-img_0986.jpg  
Old 12-29-11, 08:20 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i would stick with stock unless u want to make your engine look pretty and more vacuum sound from the engine. to me its more of a sound and look mod then hp increase. i have the joe z intake with toms drop in filter and I am happy so far with the sound it makes combine that with the exhaust and you have the Joe Z symphony soundtrack. lol which is music to my ears.
Old 12-29-11, 01:12 PM
ISFBce
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone get coments on K&N intake system?
Old 12-29-11, 05:07 PM
Super6
Driver

Allrighty folks, tomorrow I am putting to rest the mystery behind the air sucker attached to the machine and will see which produces the most watts with my Borla Cat Back exhaust. Any guesses on if the Takeda will out perform the stock box on the dyno jet? If so, by how much?

Last edited by Super6; 12-29-11 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 10:28 PM
Rbtmatt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Super6
Allrighty folks, tomorrow I am putting to rest the mystery behind the air sucker attached to the machine and will see which produces the most watts with my Borla Cat Back exhaust. Any guesses on if the Takeda will out perform the stock box on the dyno jet? If so, by how much?
Can't wait to see the results!
Old 12-30-11, 05:09 PM
Super6
Driver

Long story short: about a few to 4 hp advantage to the Takeda. 3 runs with stock and three runs on the takeda. All 4th gear runs with the max of 350 and median in the low 340's.
Old 12-30-11, 06:14 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

With headers and exhaust is going to yield high hp at redline with injen or k&n. but will loose about 5 tq where the second stage of the factory intake opens. IMO if you want 2 stage intake go Joe Z. Open air elements will be better on a strip or track where you never drop below 4 grand
Old 01-02-12, 01:01 AM
StrykarISF
Rookie

Had a bad experience with SRT and an IS300, I wouldnt dare buy one for an ISF. I am still stuck deciding what intake to buy for my F as well!
Old 01-03-12, 10:03 AM
Gonzilla24
Rookie

Man.... I think I am more confused now then when I started reading the thread. I was originally leaning towards a Takeda intake then reading some posts everyone seems to point to JoeZ's intake pipe with the Tom's drop in filter. It appears it depends on the type of driving you do. If your racing it or constantly pounding on the throttle an open filter is the way to go but if you only occasionally open her up JoeZ is the way to go? Am I gathering the information correctly?
Old 01-03-12, 01:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

^^^^OK, long story short. An intake is not going to add a ton of power, maybe not even a smidgen. I have had both the JoeZ, with a K&N Drop-In. I now have the Takeda. The JoeZ worked well enough, but I just liked the look and the engineering concept behind the Takeda. I bought one of the first ones available. The sound is a little more throaty, but not much. The Takeda and the JoeZ are the only aftermarket intakes that leave the factory dual stage intake intact.

Did I gain any power, I doubt it, I never did a dyno with the intakes alone. But, in IMHO, my dyno numbers with my PPE headers, high flow cats and custom dual exhaust with stock mufflers and the Takeda is respectable. In short, as I have often said, my Takeda is going nowhere.

Lou
Old 01-03-12, 05:42 PM
Super6
Driver

Originally Posted by Gonzilla24
Man.... I think I am more confused now then when I started reading the thread. I was originally leaning towards a Takeda intake then reading some posts everyone seems to point to JoeZ's intake pipe with the Tom's drop in filter. It appears it depends on the type of driving you do. If your racing it or constantly pounding on the throttle an open filter is the way to go but if you only occasionally open her up JoeZ is the way to go? Am I gathering the information correctly?
Now that I have an intake, I feel I have a better ubderstanding. The good: joe z, takeda, injen, stock box.
The bad: srt
The best instant Dyno numbers: k&n but unknown long term ecu adaptation, oil/maf effect, and heat soak issues.

Haviing said that it's like jelly beans: each has their favorite flavor...
Old 01-22-12, 05:17 AM
StrykarISF
Rookie

Just got my black Takeda in the mail the other day and I'm not very happy with the quality maybe I got a bad unit? Chips in the powder coating in two spots, void on one of the welds, both of the breather bungs look embarassing on the inside, the bungs dont even line up over the holes of the intake tube. Grrr going to call afe and see about a replacement unless I'm not the only one with this problem? This thing is whack! I like the concept and design of it, but come on it looks like an 8 year old got out his dads welder and made a good attempt then rattle canned it black. If anyone wants pics to compare I can take some when I get home. Sad day.
Old 01-22-12, 06:12 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzilla24
I would agree with you. With lots of dyne time on my F

Quick Reply: Intake