IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 09:55 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by StrykarISF
Just got my black Takeda in the mail the other day and I'm not very happy with the quality maybe I got a bad unit? Chips in the powder coating in two spots, void on one of the welds, both of the breather bungs look embarassing on the inside, the bungs dont even line up over the holes of the intake tube. Grrr going to call afe and see about a replacement unless I'm not the only one with this problem? This thing is whack! I like the concept and design of it, but come on it looks like an 8 year old got out his dads welder and made a good attempt then rattle canned it black. If anyone wants pics to compare I can take some when I get home. Sad day.
It's truly sad how the quality of some aftermarket stuff can be so bad, and others so good. It can be really inconsistent and frustrating as heck. I'm really sorry for your issues and hope you can find a good example of the product. I have one of the early Takedas and the quality and fitment were just fine.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Intake-takeda-ram-tube1s.jpg  
Old 01-22-12, 12:58 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came in the mail last week.... I didn't have any problems with mine. All the welds on mine look good but they could have done a better job lining up the breather bungs and the metal they used to fab the intake is slightly thinner than the Joe-Z..
Old 01-22-12, 02:06 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey just wondering if anyone has put on the K&N intake and what is is like??
Thanks
Old 01-22-12, 03:05 PM
staman
Pole Position

K&N uses an "oiled" typed air filter which your MAF sensor wont appreciate too much.. Do a search on the threads its been discussed to death.
Old 01-24-12, 11:46 PM
NTXISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StrykarISF
Just got my black Takeda in the mail the other day and I'm not very happy with the quality maybe I got a bad unit? Chips in the powder coating in two spots, void on one of the welds, both of the breather bungs look embarassing on the inside, the bungs dont even line up over the holes of the intake tube. Grrr going to call afe and see about a replacement unless I'm not the only one with this problem? This thing is whack! I like the concept and design of it, but come on it looks like an 8 year old got out his dads welder and made a good attempt then rattle canned it black. If anyone wants pics to compare I can take some when I get home. Sad day.
I had pretty much the same exact problem. The first Takeda I ordered was missing clips to secure onto the stock box. The replacement had chips in the powder coating. Fitment was medicore. I love the design and concept. The intake also sounds great too. I've had it on for about 200 miles and no problems and can't really complain. But makes me wonder if I should have tried the Joe Z
Old 01-25-12, 10:42 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

I have the K&N intake. Fitment was perfect and I had ZERO warning lights or anything like that. I also had the Joe-Z before the K&N intake. The power gains seem about the same (NO DYNO DATA). The sound of the K&N intake is however more noticeable when you get on it, than the Joe-Z. I also am running the ISS forged exhaust and TOM's throttle controller. The reason I like the K&N, you can see when / if the filter needs to be cleaned. Plus there is more open air surrounding the filter other than stuffed inside of a plastic box. The K&N does include the "wall" to "separate" between the pipe and filter. I think this to try and reduce the heat soak into the filter. I have been happy with it. I have had it for 3 years now.
Old 01-26-12, 05:07 AM
StrykarISF
Rookie

Installed my Takeda yesterday, and like its been mentioned before the clip on the bottom felt like it was going to bust off if I breathed on it (3 tiny spot welds) Chips in the powder coating on the tube itself and chips on the box that latches to the factory box, missing the emblem for the intake tube. I also don't like the rectangle they cut out of the side of it, because the filter would not fit otherwise, so its not fully sealed like the stock box was. Overall I'm not impressed but no check engine lights and it sounds good; from what I can hear over the other mods.
Old 01-26-12, 07:47 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

My Injen intake was mint, however the fitment over the throttlebody was tight (which is a good thing) and a bit of a task to put on
Old 01-26-12, 08:05 AM
mikelexF
Rookie

yup gotta takeda without the top mounting clips.. anyone have a solution for this??
i was thinking of drilling a couple of holes and putting a couple of bolts in the place of where the mounting clips should be... any ideas??
Old 01-26-12, 08:14 AM
Gonzilla24
Rookie

The drop in filters.... Whats the best filter and why???
Old 01-26-12, 09:01 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

dont know what is the best but i just got Tom's filter with Joez intake. anythign is much better than stock, not having to changed it, just wash and dry and reinstall
Old 01-26-12, 06:16 PM
StrykarISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikelexF
yup gotta takeda without the top mounting clips.. anyone have a solution for this??
i was thinking of drilling a couple of holes and putting a couple of bolts in the place of where the mounting clips should be... any ideas??
Essentially that would work ya, but are you still able to contact the dealer you got yours from? The seller I got mine from is forwarding my pics to Takeda for review, I assume they will want me to mail mine back in and wait for another set, but thats their product, it is what it is. Such a great design and concept but its lacking the extra amount of quality that I would expect going onto an expensive car. Especially for the msrp that they suggest on this intake system.
Old 01-26-12, 07:25 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Subscribing.
Old 01-26-12, 08:41 PM
mikelexF
Rookie

Essentially that would work ya, but are you still able to contact the dealer you got yours from? The seller I got mine from is forwarding my pics to Takeda for review, I assume they will want me to mail mine back in and wait for another set, but thats their product, it is what it is. Such a great design and concept but its lacking the extra amount of quality that I would expect going onto an expensive car. Especially for the msrp that they suggest on this intake system.
yeah i bought it off Amazon and got a pretty good deal on it.. but I did have to pay duty to canada.. All came up to about $320. having to send it back would mean additional shipping costs. I guess i'll try the bolts idea.

thanks for the input Strykar
Old 01-28-12, 07:40 AM
Gonzilla24
Rookie

Originally Posted by blitz_714
dont know what is the best but i just got Tom's filter with Joez intake. anythign is much better than stock, not having to changed it, just wash and dry and reinstall

I emailed one of the sellers of the Tom's drop in and they stated it was not reuseable. That made me wonder how legit they were. $175 for a filter that needs to be replaced. I was just going to go with the K&N when I heard that. Who do you recommend buying a Tom's filter from?

Quick Reply: Intake