IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Deal or no deal @ dealership

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 04:30 PM
YJacketISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running into a similar issue. I just took my car in for 30k and they are telling me I need to replace my pads and rotors to the tune of $1100. This is my first pad change so I'm sure those are probably toast, but I'm going to see if my rotors are in spec because that seems a bit ridiculous based on what I've read here. Any feedback from others on what to look for? I'm in Atlanta btw Lobux so maybe you have insight on the dealerships around here.
Old 02-23-12, 06:01 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Replacing your own pads every x miles is super easy. Get help from a friend the first time and then it takes you like 5 minutes per corner including taking off the wheel.

Personally (and I can't say this is good advice) I wait until I hear scraping when I brake. Then I replace rotors. Otherwise it's always just pads at certain mile intervals. And I never go OEM for rotors, there are too many other options for 1/4 the cost available. On my Evo 8 OEM rotors were like $450 each (so $1800 for all 4) and I was able to get 4 Powerslot rotors + 4 Hawk pads for like $450 total. And I never had any issues.

Last edited by anxiouz; 02-23-12 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 07:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by YJacketISF
I'm running into a similar issue. I just took my car in for 30k and they are telling me I need to replace my pads and rotors to the tune of $1100. This is my first pad change so I'm sure those are probably toast, but I'm going to see if my rotors are in spec because that seems a bit ridiculous based on what I've read here. Any feedback from others on what to look for? I'm in Atlanta btw Lobux so maybe you have insight on the dealerships around here.
I pretty much have no clue about dealership service. I never use them unless it's warranty, and I can't say I was overly impressed with my last experience. Most owners would be fine with what they did, but without going into a long post, let's just say their work failed to impress me.
Old 02-24-12, 09:28 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Never go to the dealership for a brake job. It can be done easily either at home or another place. All you need is the tools, time and patience, also the pad and rotors that you are replacing. There is a DIY on the forum.
Old 02-24-12, 10:01 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I pretty much have no clue about dealership service. I never use them unless it's warranty, and I can't say I was overly impressed with my last experience. Most owners would be fine with what they did, but without going into a long post, let's just say their work failed to impress me.
I thought you had a trusted tech that you personally knew, work on your car..??

Most Techs & Service writers work together to sell, sell, sell... Nothing you guys haven't seen on the news before..

~ Joe Z
Old 02-25-12, 11:12 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Now you know why dealers have shiny floors and provide free amenities to their customers. They ain't really free, are they!?

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-25-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 12:14 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Cool If it was just the employees...

If it was just the employees, I wouldn't mind so much. Most people need a good income just to get by and working on cars is not the easiest way to make a living. I'm sure many of the members here are unable or unwilling to do the work themselves and need someone responsible to get the job done correctly.

My last visit to the Lexus dealer was pure torture and I get the shakes every time I think about it. These stores charge way to much for what they do and I'm sure the employees get very little of it. If we knew what the difference was between what they can bill the manufacturer for warranty work and what we have to pay, well you would understand why they double bill for a job.

Find someone that owns their own shop and treats you fairly. Get to know them well and then stick by them with your business. Dealership mechanics, that are good, eventually tire of the dealer and start their own business. Find one. Brake jobs are duck soup.

The brakes on an F should easily last 100 thousand miles, especially someone driving on the open rode a 100 miles a day.

Old 02-25-12, 01:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenr
...The brakes on an F should easily last 100 thousand miles, especially someone driving on the open rode a 100 miles a day.

I doubt this. The OEM pads are very high dust, and even as good as I usually am on brakes, I'd be very surprised to see them last 60k in my car. Rotors, maybe; pads, no way.
Old 02-25-12, 07:08 PM
TripleBlkF
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I doubt this. The OEM pads are very high dust, and even as good as I usually am on brakes, I'd be very surprised to see them last 60k in my car. Rotors, maybe; pads, no way.
I am actually a service writer at a dealership... I have seen all sorts of situations.

the tech is covering his *** by recommending rotors as well. Do i blame him? NO. Why? He is covering is ***. If you walk away with the ever so slightest issue related to noise/feel/performance, guess who's fault it is?

Find a service writer you can trust and build a relationship with... Don't hesitate to walk into the shop with him and see for yourself.