IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

From M5/IS300 to IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 08:22 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by seimsag
Congratulations and welcome! As far as speed goes, which car is faster, the M5 or the ISF? I guess "speed" is a little ambiguous. Which car is faster away from a stoplight? Which would win in the quarter mile? How about a good old roll off on the freeway? Road course?
Pure speed, I think the M5 was "faster" but it depends on the gear/rpm and speed you're at. The IS-F "feels" like it has a lot more grunt lower in the RPM range, while the M5 had to be wound up higher in the range. But once you were moving, the V10 screamed and it would be very tough for the IS-F to keep up above 60-80mph. The shifts on the M5 were violent and it felt like it was losing a lot more speed between gears than the IS-F though.

As far as handling, the IS-F is definitely a smaller car and feels "tossable" and agile. The M5 had a nice controllable oversteer characteristic, so it made it a lot of fun going sideways through corners. Not sure on the IS-F, haven't had a chance to take it to those limits yet. From what I've read on the forums, the IS-F may need a rear sway to help balance it out. We'll see.

All this is based on just a few days of driving, so take it for what it is. But I am very happy with the car so far...I have had a smile on my face each morning going to work and coming home. Its not just about raw HP...where the M5 was clearly a winner...the IS-F is really an enjoyable car.
Old 01-05-12, 09:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by JKweezy
welcome to the fam and congrats... you'll find previous/current supra owners here too... seems like a trend almost... silver was my second choice but couldn't pass up my USB that i have now...
So very true. There are quite a few of us who have been patiently waiting for something like the F from Toyota.

Originally Posted by hyboost
Thanks guys.

I still miss the Supra and am looking around for a possible project car. A very high mileage stock NA hardtop would be perfect as a starting platform.
Hardtop TT is always a better starting point. More of the stuff you want is already there. But the wife just about panicked when I talked about selling mine - she threatened to learn to drive a manual after 12 years! Probably better to keep it...
Old 01-05-12, 09:58 PM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Grats on ISF. Your old M5 has manual stick?
Old 01-06-12, 04:12 PM
makena88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pure speed, I think the M5 was "faster" but it depends on the gear/rpm and speed you're at. The IS-F "feels" like it has a lot more grunt lower in the RPM range, while the M5 had to be wound up higher in the range. But once you were moving, the V10 screamed and it would be very tough for the IS-F to keep up above 60-80mph. The shifts on the M5 were violent and it felt like it was losing a lot more speed between gears than the IS-F though.

As far as handling, the IS-F is definitely a smaller car and feels "tossable" and agile. The M5 had a nice controllable oversteer characteristic, so it made it a lot of fun going sideways through corners. Not sure on the IS-F, haven't had a chance to take it to those limits yet. From what I've read on the forums, the IS-F may need a rear sway to help balance it out. We'll see.

All this is based on just a few days of driving, so take it for what it is. But I am very happy with the car so far...I have had a smile on my face each morning going to work and coming home. Its not just about raw HP...where the M5 was clearly a winner...the IS-F is really an enjoyable car.
Agree with you 100%! Sometimes I miss my M5 but have no regrets selling it
Old 01-06-12, 04:51 PM
TripleBlkF
Rookie

Question, i know there is no M5 like the E39 M5. In my opinion, it was the best. But what do you think about the new one with the Twin Turbo V8? It seems a little too "soft" for me, especially since they had to engineer some engine noise through the speaker system! (i lost a lot of respect for that)

What are your impressions? (not that I'm selling my F though, lol)
Old 01-07-12, 01:07 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The M5 is beautiful man...Great collection of cars... Welcome and Congrats!!!!
Old 01-07-12, 11:23 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Originally Posted by makena88
Agree with you 100%! Sometimes I miss my M5 but have no regrets selling it
That M5 looks really sweet.

I've run with some M5s on the freeway and have been neck to neck to low triples and then let up. From a light, neck and neck and then minimally ahead by 90.

I've got PPE headers and KN intake. Don't know how things are at much higher speeds though.
Old 01-07-12, 02:41 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mercurymet
That M5 looks really sweet.

I've run with some M5s on the freeway and have been neck to neck to low triples and then let up. From a light, neck and neck and then minimally ahead by 90.

I've got PPE headers and KN intake. Don't know how things are at much higher speeds though.
The IS-F has great gearing, but it will come flying by you after 120
Old 01-07-12, 04:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

very nice taste in vehicles!!
Old 01-07-12, 05:02 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the F!
Old 01-24-12, 08:04 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking IS-F

So many formal M5 owners here.

I've been on this wild debate for the past few months about trading my '98 VR-4 for a M5 but other days I think about the IS-F. They are both great cars and hard to decide.
Old 01-24-12, 08:25 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CometVR4
Nice looking IS-F

So many formal M5 owners here.

I've been on this wild debate for the past few months about trading my '98 VR-4 for a M5 but other days I think about the IS-F. They are both great cars and hard to decide.
COMPLETELY different cars, so go drive each and you will quickly see which is better for you.

I have to be honest...I had a slight concern about having to maintain an out-of-warranty M5, so even though you can get your hands on one for a decent price, consider parts/labor costs "if" anything goes wrong. Toyota reliability and a warranty let me sleep better at night...
Old 01-26-12, 08:03 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COMPLETELY different cars, so go drive each and you will quickly see which is better for you.

I have to be honest...I had a slight concern about having to maintain an out-of-warranty M5, so even though you can get your hands on one for a decent price, consider parts/labor costs "if" anything goes wrong. Toyota reliability and a warranty let me sleep better at night...
That's a big concern for me. I've heard of nightmares about buying a used M car and CPO seems to be the only way to go but I'm looking at a 20K increase, with that being said I can spend a lil more and get a new F.
Old 02-02-12, 09:09 AM
JLMTX83
Driver School Candidate

Great choice. I am actually in the flip flop of you now. Debating selling the ISF for the new TTV8 M5 after i see one in the flesh. The Dinan aftermarket/"other" companies should really wake the twins up!