IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 12:59 PM
dano9258
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service

I was wondering if anyone has tried going to a regular Toyota dealership for oil changes? My Lexus dealer charges $250 for every 5,000 service (oil, checkup, etc), which is absolutely ridiculous. I'm trying to find ways to save some cash here, maybe even doing it myself. I know the Toyota dealer does oil changes for $40. Thanks!
Old 01-06-12, 01:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dano9258
I was wondering if anyone has tried going to a regular Toyota dealership for oil changes? My Lexus dealer charges $250 for every 5,000 service (oil, checkup, etc), which is absolutely ridiculous. I'm trying to find ways to save some cash here, maybe even doing it myself. I know the Toyota dealer does oil changes for $40. Thanks!

If you go in for an "Oil Change", you will pay for just that....

.. Your service writer LOVES when you come in for a 5K service.

~ Joe Z
Old 01-06-12, 01:27 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ just ask how much an oil change is. I'd call up Toyota as well for prices, even a good local shop would be fine. Its just an oil change
Old 01-06-12, 04:27 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Talking in a very general sense, I'm sure everyone knows a friend or a place that's cheap.

The product cost alone is breaching the 100 dollar mark. Most oil change places include up to 5 or 6 liters (or US qrts) and then charge over and above for the extra oil. Now add more for synthetic oil, disposal, shop supply or environmental fees etc.....now add your hourly shop rates for time and effort......You also have an oil filter that is not produced by many aftermarket companies due to the low production numbers, so throw in the cost of the OE oil filter as well and then try to build in a profit percentage.

Every low price for an oil change on our cars you see is typically a lost leader, in hopes that they will gain your business in the future, or possibly a technician that has no idea our cars hold 10 liters of oil and needs a unique oil filter.

Nobody that changes oil is in it give stuff away (especially the dealer and their overhead)

Do not expect the same cost for an oil change as a other vehicles out there.
Old 01-06-12, 06:13 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digger08
Talking in a very general sense, I'm sure everyone knows a friend or a place that's cheap.

The product cost alone is breaching the 100 dollar mark. Most oil change places include up to 5 or 6 liters (or US qrts) and then charge over and above for the extra oil. Now add more for synthetic oil, disposal, shop supply or environmental etc.....now add your hourly shop rates for time and effort......You also have an oil filter that is not produced by many aftermarket companies due to the low production numbers, so throw in the cost of the OE oil filter as well and then try to build in a profit percentage.

Every low price for an oil change on our cars you see is typically a lost leader, in hopes that they will gain your business in the future, or possibly a technician that has no idea our cars hold 10 liters of oil and needs a unique oil filter.

Nobody that changes oil is in it give stuff away (especially the dealer and their overhead)

Do not expect the same cost for an oil change as a other vehicles out there.
Digger I couldn't have said this better if I tried! OP do a search related to oil changes on our cars and you will come too some stark realizations, 250 for an oil change is absurd, nobody will debate that, but when you buy a car for 65k cheating out on an oil change is a little silly. In my opinion 100 for a synthetic oil change is VERY fair. They are going to have $60 into a quality oil alone ( most ppl are unaware we are under contract with our oil vendors to sell ONLY their oil products in exchange for our oil servicing equipment.) plus the cost of the filter, plus the techs labor. I believe our bill on a synthetic oil change is right at $120 on an ISF. We are not in the business of giving things away, our employes have family's to support, and our business bills to pay. It can. Be done cheaper by ones self, but damn is that a lot of work to save a couple dollars. Hope this clears things up.
Old 01-06-12, 06:23 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ming15237
Digger I couldn't have said this better if I tried! OP do a search related to oil changes on our cars and you will come too some stark realizations, 250 for an oil change is absurd, nobody will debate that, but when you buy a car for 65k cheating out on an oil change is a little silly. In my opinion 100 for a synthetic oil change is VERY fair. They are going to have $60 into a quality oil alone ( most ppl are unaware we are under contract with our oil vendors to sell ONLY their oil products in exchange for our oil servicing equipment.) plus the cost of the filter, plus the techs labor. I believe our bill on a synthetic oil change is right at $120 on an ISF. We are not in the business of giving things away, our employes have family's to support, and our business bills to pay. It can. Be done cheaper by ones self, but damn is that a lot of work to save a couple dollars. Hope this clears things up.
I agree its a lot of work to save 20-30 bucks but that's not why i do my own oil changes. I only put synthetic oil in the F and a lot of places will cheat you the first chance they get. Unless you actually see the guy putting the synthetic in the engine you'd never know... It also makes me feel like a real mechanic (which i'm not by any means). lol
Old 01-06-12, 07:03 PM
Super6
Driver

i thought I read someplace that our engines are build for dinosaur oil vs synthetic, although from what I understand synthetic is mucho better....My previous car was a c350 benz that required synthetic oil changes every 10K miles fwiw...they wouldnt put dinosaur oil in those things and thought it was insane to take your car to a quickie oil change place...
Old 01-06-12, 07:16 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

I prefer to change my own oil. I like the piece of mind knowing that it was done right. I have had idiots at the jiffy lube in the past mess things up. I have had them strip out my drain plug (in a different car of course) get oil all over the steering wheel etc. I had one guy at one of these shops one time decide that he was going to blast my stereo! I used to have high powered stereos in the past. Just things that really irritate me. I also had a coworker have all their oil leak out of their car cause the idiot did not tighten the drain plug!

I pay for the best synthetic that I can find and the best filter and do it myself. The only thing I am not able to do is document that oil change like the dealer or any of these shops can so it shows up on the Car Fax. Anyone know how to do that?
Old 01-06-12, 09:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

$40 for an oil change in the F is going to screw someone for sure. Either you or the dealer. 10 quarts of oil isn't cheap, and getting the car on a lift, replacing the filter, getting the drain plug out and back in without ruining something isn't exactly cheap either. Even Wal-Mart Supertech oil won't leave enough to pay the tech to work on your car (actually Supertech isn't bad oil, but that's a different issue entirely).

I do it myself because I had a Toyota dealer put Pennzoil in my Supra and keep the 6 quarts of Red Line I gave them to put in it. The engine varnished before I realized what they'd done. Never again.