IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New Pads on Old Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 04:53 PM
TripleBlkF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pads on Old Rotors

I just ordered a pair of Project Mu pads for the front which i everyone seems to be happy with.

I will be installing them on my original rotors that have 17k on them... they have barely a lip on them. Anyone see any issues with this?
Old 01-06-12, 08:28 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlkF
I just ordered a pair of Project Mu pads for the front which i everyone seems to be happy with.

I will be installing them on my original rotors that have 17k on them... they have barely a lip on them. Anyone see any issues with this?
You should be fine. I didn't replace my rotors until my second pad change at 34k. To be certain you can always measure the thickness. Min spec for front rotors is 28mm.
Old 01-06-12, 09:39 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i changed my pads out at 16k, with original rotors. No problems what do ever, don't worry about it you have plenty of rotor left. Just follow the asian rule of thumb, never change anything at the recommended time interval, let it ride till it falls off it will be fine.
Old 01-06-12, 09:59 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to bedding in your brakes after.
Old 01-07-12, 09:58 AM
iffy08
Rookie

Where did you purchase them?
Old 01-08-12, 07:25 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Don't forget to bedding in your brakes after.
That's very important, and I think most people overlook it.
Old 01-09-12, 07:17 PM
vintage
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pads and rotors

I changed mine at 43k with project mu's and now im at 60k with zero problems. No deep scarring ...nothing.....I also bedded the rotors. I went to 60 mph and slow down to 10 mph quickly . I repeated it 10 times. Be sure to add some anti squeal grease to the back of the pads or they will squeal. You will love the pads from every perspective. I have a whole new respect for these rotors. The first 16k was put on my car gently from the previous owner who was an ederly gent that took immaculate care of the F. it never saw inclement weather until I bought it.......my point being that prob had something to do with the life I've achieved from these.But I can tell you I drive mine and the brakes aren't abused but used consistently with me leaning on them a bit. Don't be afraid to do it. I will be changing my rotors soon and intend to use the project pads.
Old 01-10-12, 04:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

I've always marveled at how often so many people wear out rotors. My original rotors were fine until they cracked from track use, and even with track duty they still had 29.3mm when I took them off. I replaced them with a set someone took off in Arizona and gave to a dealer tech with more than 29mm according to my micrometer. They also cracked on their first track weekend, but they're not beyond limits (30mm continuous) yet. They've been great, and I'm at 60k miles - still not even close to wearing them out.
Old 01-11-12, 07:16 AM
StrykarISF
Rookie

Steering wheel doesnt shake when you brake and get them hot? So not warped... Also sometimes they can get a lot of brake dust built up inside the cross drilled holes if they continue on to a 2nd set of brake pads with no resurfacing which could result in noise; but hey save some money and keep them going as long as they are within spec!
Old 01-11-12, 06:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Rotors don't warp. Just ask Stoptech, or Carroll Smith, or...
Old 01-11-12, 06:36 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

what pads are you using for the track lob?
Old 01-11-12, 06:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Carbotech XP-12 front and XP-10 rear. Click on the link for the details.
Old 01-12-12, 11:14 AM
StrykarISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Rotors don't warp. Just ask Stoptech, or Carroll Smith, or...
Rotors do warp, its science not a myth. I'm trying to give the poster some advice here? Rotors can become warped causing a steering wheel vibration or "shimmy" felt in the steering wheel while applying the brakes. Usually a remedy for this is to replace the rotors or cut them with an on car lathe, right? But why do they become warped? Apparently the link above does not agree with the rest of the world so to make it short; warpage is caused by the expansion and contraction of the metal (rotor) example would be a normal drive and then hitting a puddle of water on the side of the road while applying the brakes, excessive temperature change of the metal is harsh. Or something as simple as worn out brake pads, grinding metal to metal thus creating grooves on the rotor's surface.

I'm not trying to argue, but rather validate a point behind the matter. Why does Lexus have tons of TSIB's pertaining to the replacing of "Warped Rotors" Its not due to brake dust transfer as the link suggests. These everyday vehicles that visit the dealers are not race cars as Carroll Smith puts it. The metal is flat out not true from everyday driving. When its spinning on an on car lathe and its only cutting on one side of the rotor and metal shavings are flying off of the bit.....thats not brake dust...The brake dial indicator does not lie. I'm sure you have a lot of years with cars, as do I; but this is just science, not a myth as they suggest.
Old 01-12-12, 11:39 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

warped rotors is a misused term in those tsb. vibrationin the steering wheel while braking is usually caused by glazed rotors
Old 01-12-12, 07:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by StrykarISF
Rotors do warp, its science not a myth. I'm trying to give the poster some advice here? Rotors can become warped causing a steering wheel vibration or "shimmy" felt in the steering wheel while applying the brakes. Usually a remedy for this is to replace the rotors or cut them with an on car lathe, right? But why do they become warped? Apparently the link above does not agree with the rest of the world so to make it short; warpage is caused by the expansion and contraction of the metal (rotor) example would be a normal drive and then hitting a puddle of water on the side of the road while applying the brakes, excessive temperature change of the metal is harsh. Or something as simple as worn out brake pads, grinding metal to metal thus creating grooves on the rotor's surface.

I'm not trying to argue, but rather validate a point behind the matter. Why does Lexus have tons of TSIB's pertaining to the replacing of "Warped Rotors" Its not due to brake dust transfer as the link suggests. These everyday vehicles that visit the dealers are not race cars as Carroll Smith puts it. The metal is flat out not true from everyday driving. When its spinning on an on car lathe and its only cutting on one side of the rotor and metal shavings are flying off of the bit.....thats not brake dust...The brake dial indicator does not lie. I'm sure you have a lot of years with cars, as do I; but this is just science, not a myth as they suggest.
You'd be wise to do some more research on this. Sure I have plenty of practical experience too, but I also don't argue with guys like Carroll Smith who've forgotten more than I'll ever know about brakes.
Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc...
...In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures.
Nine times out of ten, the rotor is getting cut unevenly because it's not squarely mounted in the lathe. Truing something up to be cut properly takes a whole lot more effort than what most brake technicians are willing to do, and a lathe is just about the worst way to surface a disc anyway. If you buy new factory discs, they're not turned, they're ground. There's a really solid scientific reason for this. I've done a lot of machine work for a long time and I know machinists who are far better than I am. None of them disagree with what Carroll Smith wrote.

Quick Reply: New Pads on Old Rotors