Snow Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 06:38 AM
andysvette
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter driving

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Well you sure won't have any more than one or two days in the summer past 100 degrees! I was down in Dallas/Fort Worth five times for work this summer, man was that hot. Anyway, winter driving definitely takes some getting used to, and that being said, there are people who have lived their whole lives in WI and still don't understand the principles of snow driving..... It's really not too difficult if you understand the physics of the car and have a good feel for the traction provided. It's also a blast when you have some open space and can really power slide around. Just make sure you have a good set of winter tires, thats the biggest thing.

I have been in Wisconsin for 28 years. It's a great place to live, Madison is a lot of fun and there is always something to do there. We have a great car culture too, lots of meets for all different varieties of cars, lots of car shows and what not. Maybe I'll catch ya at one sometime this summer. Let me know if you have any other specifics regarding Wisconsin though. Good luck with the move, make sure you get yourself a winter coat too!
It's good the here from another Wisconsinite. I am running the LM-25 as well great tire, my only complaint is when the traction control/stability control cuts the power. It does recover fast however it cuts to much of the power, leaving you kind of helpless for that split second.

Keep in the loop of any future meets in and around the Madison area, i would love to come down. I live in Appleton, so only a couple hrs away.
Old 01-16-12, 09:35 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Minus 24?! I thought -3 was bad enough lol
Old 01-16-12, 07:09 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I don't know how you guys do it in the "extreme North"..... I HATE THE COLD!!! and we get enough of it in Kansas, but the amount of snow and crazy lows up there is for polar bears! not people.. LOL
Old 01-17-12, 05:51 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by andysvette
It's good the here from another Wisconsinite. I am running the LM-25 as well great tire, my only complaint is when the traction control/stability control cuts the power. It does recover fast however it cuts to much of the power, leaving you kind of helpless for that split second.

Keep in the loop of any future meets in and around the Madison area, i would love to come down. I live in Appleton, so only a couple hrs away.
Yea the LM-25's have been great so far. Drove to work this morning, in icy/freezing rain conditions with no problems whatsoever. In fact I didn't even realize it was icy until I slipped in my parking lot on the walk inside.Good stuff.

I haven't found the TC/SC to be too intrusive yet. The only time it really has kicked in on my was when I was intentially doing some sliding around. Otherwise in "snow" mode, it hasn't really made it's presence known. It is definately better than the quite intrusive TC on my M3. I would usually just turn it off completely in snow/ice conditions.

I am down in the Port Washington area. I haven't gotten to too many Madison meets; typically catch people in the Mequon/Milwaukee areas, but will let you know if I venture West at all.

Safe winter travel to all.
Old 01-17-12, 08:58 AM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

I wish we got more snow around where I live in WA. Not enough snow for me to justify buying snow tires. Today for example... the car sits in the garage due to the small snow storm we are having. After growing up in MN and dealing with the cold and snow there, I find it really funny to see people out here overreact to the little bit of snow here. Tire chains and hazard lights are really not necessary just yet. lol
Old 01-17-12, 09:24 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the f is very capable of light snow. it can handle a couple of inches off the ground. anything touching ur front bumper I woundn't recommend driving cuz you will be plowing the street. lol drive in snow mode and take it easy. the rear sometimes wants to spin if its icy and if your not in snow mode.
Old 01-17-12, 10:00 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

I drove my 2004 350rwp GTO in the snow with snow tires and an Auto trans. It was "doable".

I have snow tires on the F and will only drive it in snow if i "need" to.

However with all the the morons on the road, any snow I just work from home. Even if I can get traction and drive around, it doesn't mean the mouth breather behind me can.
Old 01-17-12, 05:11 PM
FastPaced
Rookie

I have a question guys, this is my first time driving my IS-F in the snow. We got very light snow last night in NYC, enough to make the roads slippery. Any who, whenever I hit the brakes, the brake pedal felt like it was pulsating, like it was thumping. and if I stepped on the brakes harder, the effects were more dramatic. Is this normal? I was told it was the ABS but the feeling was so unnatural, I felt like something was going to break. When the roads, weren't slippery, the brakes operated fine. Is this how the ABS feels when it's activated? Again, this is my first time with the IS-F in snow conditions.
Old 01-17-12, 05:36 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FastPaced
I have a question guys, this is my first time driving my IS-F in the snow. We got very light snow last night in NYC, enough to make the roads slippery. Any who, whenever I hit the brakes, the brake pedal felt like it was pulsating, like it was thumping. and if I stepped on the brakes harder, the effects were more dramatic. Is this normal? I was told it was the ABS but the feeling was so unnatural, I felt like something was going to break. When the roads, weren't slippery, the brakes operated fine. Is this how the ABS feels when it's activated? Again, this is my first time with the IS-F in snow conditions.
that is the ABS system and it is perfectly normal. It is actually squeezing and releasing your brakes super fast (pumping) so as to not lock up your wheels and cause a skid. It goes against everything I learned when I first started driving. But the technology is good and I am glad we have it on our cars.
Old 01-17-12, 05:53 PM
FastPaced
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kingkrs
that is the ABS system and it is perfectly normal. It is actually squeezing and releasing your brakes super fast (pumping) so as to not lock up your wheels and cause a skid. It goes against everything I learned when I first started driving. But the technology is good and I am glad we have it on our cars.
It's cool that it prevents the car from skidding but it increases your stopping distance and It's kinda' scary going down a hill seeing how it was almost impossible to stop. Thank god I never had anyone in front of me.
Old 01-17-12, 06:05 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

just remember to press on those brakes as hard as necessary to stop and when you feel them working just know not to take your foot off the brake cause it feels strange.
Old 01-17-12, 06:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by FastPaced
It's cool that it prevents the car from skidding but it increases your stopping distance and It's kinda' scary going down a hill seeing how it was almost impossible to stop. Thank god I never had anyone in front of me.
It would have been just as impossible without ABS. ABS uses almost all of the available traction - under the right conditions a professional driver can get a little bit more, but for the vast majority of us, ABS stops quicker than we could without it. As we've said on this site many times, the brakes don't stop the car, the tires do, and all the brake does is ensure you are able to use all the traction the tire has.

FWIW, there is one situation where ABS truly does not stop as well - gravel. Gravel stops work best with some wheel lock to push up the gravel in front of the wheel, but if you do lock on gravel, you will go straight no matter what you do with the wheel. If you really want to scare yourself, try stopping hard with one wheel on gravel and the other on pavement (think gravel shoulder).
Old 01-18-12, 09:47 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

the last two days in Calgary alberta have reached -40 (at this temp both degree C and F match). I have to say that the car doesn't even studder when starting after being left for 9+ hours outside, it warms up very quickly and the transmission reaches operating temps quickly as well.

The suspension rides a fair bit stiffer which is to be expected until it warms up, however the car drives great with a set of blizzaks.

I have driven the car in fresh powder snow that was high enough to enter the scoops in the bumper and the car handles fine. it is not an Audi so dont expect to be climbing any hills; it is however an excellent handling rwd car that puts 400 hp to the wheels effectively and safely.
Old 01-18-12, 10:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

I'm curious how long it takes the oil to get up to temperature (three bars on the oil temperature gauge) at -40C/F.

Anything below ~5C in Atlanta, and I only see two bars on the oil temp during my 25 minute commute. It's part of what makes me concerned about adding more oil cooling capacity to the engine for summer track duty. It would never even move one bar in winter unless it's an oil/water heat exchanger, which would also slow down the heater's ability to warm the cabin, extend cold cycle operation, and burn a lot more fuel.
Old 01-18-12, 01:50 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm curious how long it takes the oil to get up to temperature (three bars on the oil temperature gauge) at -40C/F.

Anything below ~5C in Atlanta, and I only see two bars on the oil temp during my 25 minute commute. It's part of what makes me concerned about adding more oil cooling capacity to the engine for summer track duty. It would never even move one bar in winter unless it's an oil/water heat exchanger, which would also slow down the heater's ability to warm the cabin, extend cold cycle operation, and burn a lot more fuel.
According to the mileage computer in the car traditionally I am around 15-18mpg in the city (terrible stop and go rush hour), and on a purely highway road trip I am between 23-26mpg.. during the past 3 days i have averaged 8-10mpg in 95% city driving

It is ~ -34 celcius right now in Calgary, I will time the oil temperature, however keep in mind i rarely get above 10mph on the trip home.

Quick Reply: Snow Driving Impressions