IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Snow Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 10:37 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update: 21 minutes to get home in rush hour traffic ( i live about 14 city blocks from work) and my car did not go above 1 bar on the oil temp gauge
Old 01-19-12, 06:54 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone driven the 2012 in snow with the 225 and 255 summer tires? With an average of 3-5 snow days per winter I am wrestling with buying snow tires.
Old 01-20-12, 12:04 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISF001
Has anyone driven the 2012 in snow with the 225 and 255 summer tires? With an average of 3-5 snow days per winter I am wrestling with buying snow tires.
you will be parking the car in those 3-5 snow days... you wont be able to move
Old 01-20-12, 01:24 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
And if you do move, you'll regret it because you won't stop until you hit something.
Old 01-21-12, 08:40 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We got dumped on, about 4-6 inches in NY today. Even with all-seasons this is what she looks like.
Time to dig out my beater tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Snow Driving Impressions-img_20120121_112623.jpg  
Old 01-21-12, 09:19 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
It's absolutely necessary!

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
Originally Posted by 7No
And if you do move, you'll regret it because you won't stop until you hit something.
I tried to do this the first year I had my IS-F, when BOOM a random snow storm hit... couple of inches at most, plenty of ice. All I can say is it was the scariest ride home I ever had. Let's just say you would have more grip on the ice skating ring with your sneakers on! I almost hit plenty of cars and semi's on the way, even while at a standstill on full brakes, then finally halting at a red light and not being able to drive out at 1 in the morning.... then finally getting a gentle push from a stranger to have me going my way again.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
We got dumped on, about 4-6 inches in NY today. Even with all-seasons this is what she looks like.
Slap some blizzaks and go have fun, you wont regret it!
Old 01-21-12, 09:24 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

If you are going to drive your car in the snow a set of snow tires is a wise investment. I'd also go with a set of winter wheels too.
Old 01-21-12, 09:27 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
U need snow tires

Originally Posted by nysupraman
It's absolutely necessary!

I tried to do this the first year I had my IS-F, when BOOM a random snow storm hit... couple of inches at most, plenty of ice. All I can say is it was the scariest ride home I ever had. Let's just say you would have more grip on the ice skating ring with your sneakers on! I almost hit plenty of cars and semi's on the way, even while at a standstill on full brakes, then finally halting at a red light and not being able to drive out at 1 in the morning.... then finally getting a gentle push from a stranger to have me going my way again.

Slap some blizzaks and go have fun, you wont regret it!
I agree!

Originally Posted by DHRP
If you are going to drive your car in the snow a set of snow tires is a wise investment. I'd also go with a set of winter wheels too.
I will try the michelins alpine when the blizzaks are done.

here is me driving in the winter!
Winter Mode!
here is my gopro version but really can't see anything due to the water!
Winter 2012

I had snow mode on, traction enable. Tires are bridgestone blizzaks!

Last edited by Evil Teo; 01-21-12 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-22-12, 09:11 AM
dLad
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had around 4 inches or so here in ny and had to drive to work in the morning around 7:30 or 8:00. I warmed up the car and put it in snow mode. I was blown away in how great the car drove. I also have blizzack LM-60 tires all around. I just bought my car in August 2011 and this was my first snow experience. Snow tires were recommended to me by my brother in law's brother, great advice, however I think the technology of the car in snow mode is HUGE. It drives completely different. Low power to the wheels and extra extra sensitive traction control. I'm really impressed with the ISF and didn't think it would drive this well in snow.
Old 01-22-12, 10:46 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
U need snow tires

I agree!

I will try the michelins alpine when the blizzaks are done.

here is me driving in the winter!
Winter Mode!
here is my gopro version but really can't see anything due to the water!
Winter 2012

I had snow mode on, traction enable. Tires are bridgestone blizzaks!
Great vids thanks! Glad to know the car is still very useable with winter tyres on!
Old 01-22-12, 02:05 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dLad
I had around 4 inches or so here in ny and had to drive to work in the morning around 7:30 or 8:00. I warmed up the car and put it in snow mode. I was blown away in how great the car drove. I also have blizzack LM-60 tires all around. I just bought my car in August 2011 and this was my first snow experience. Snow tires were recommended to me by my brother in law's brother, great advice, however I think the technology of the car in snow mode is HUGE. It drives completely different. Low power to the wheels and extra extra sensitive traction control. I'm really impressed with the ISF and didn't think it would drive this well in snow.
you should thank your brother for the advice! yes snow mode helps, it places you in 2nd gear instead of 1st which is when our cars keep on spinning! u can do without snow mode but must be gentle on the pedal. i drove without snow mode a couple times before and if you know how to tame the car u should be fine but I would suggest sticking with snow mode on.

Originally Posted by Valkirk
Great vids thanks! Glad to know the car is still very useable with winter tyres on!
yes this car can be driven in the snow. just watch the snow/ice height level as you can damage your bumper if u hit something. also i would like to note that im a tiny tad lower then stock.
Old 01-23-12, 08:58 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kept my Integra (few posts above) as a daily driver & to get me thru the snow. Yeah the F is driveable with snow tires, but my issue is all the salt and frozen ice mounds (when parking)... don't wanna take the risk. There's really no point if I already have a beater...
Old 01-23-12, 09:08 AM
StrykarISF
Rookie

Haha my story is a short fail, I still have my summer tires on in the front and rear and they are due for replacement (3/32") After putting the headers on the F I was too anxious to pull it out and rev it up a little. I backed out of the garage into the snow and could barely pull her back in! Super slippage! Since its not my winter car I am waitng for summer to get some new tires. Back in the day I got caught coming back home when snow started (driving is300 at the time) and that was due for tires too, she did not like the snow either with the shot tires on that too! I have a set of 4 hankook ipike studded tires on my 4wd and its overkill Although the studs saved my life once when I hit black ice, I will never forget that
Old 01-23-12, 08:30 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the advise and the eye-opening accounts. I will take the wife's RX when snow is in the forecast (unless I secure snow tires and wheels).

I am not looking for trouble driving 6 miles to the office.

2012 ISF Obsidian
Old 01-23-12, 09:51 PM
caco666
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So glad I live in sunny southern California. You folks are brave.

Quick Reply: Snow Driving Impressions