IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Do I make this trade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 06:01 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Do I make this trade?

I have been talking to a guy a few hours from me in Boston. He would like to trade his 02 Porsche GT2 with a factory carbon kit and 40k on it for my isf with all the upgrades my strasse wheels and one set of my stock wheels. He obviously wants the factory parts too. Think thtas a fair trade? The Gt2 will smoke the F but I lose all the modern gizmos the F comes with... Blue tooth nav nice stero exedra.... Opinions. The Gt2 is silver as well.
Old 01-22-12, 07:32 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

I might be mistaken but I think those motors had an issue with the intermediate shaft bearings. I believe only the 996 gt3 was not impacted by this.
Old 01-22-12, 08:04 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like a decent trade but i dont really know anything about porches

as for updated electronic goodies you can always look into aftermarket options.
Old 01-22-12, 08:51 AM
ILowNslowI
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 02 911(tiptronic), on hell of a car & by far one of my favorites but I do think youll miss the modern luxuries of the F though.

NOTHING drives like a Porsche! Very well engineered machine, unfortunately mine got t-boned by some drunk idiot & was totaled but surprisingly held up extremely well
Old 01-22-12, 08:56 AM
ncorrea
Rookie

I think it would depend on what you use your current car for. Is it just a weekend fun car to catch some attention or something you use to be have a luxury inside with the performance.

The Porsche is definitely nice and I know even though outside looks good and performance is there that it will take a little bit more money to pull back the comfort feeling on interior (sound and rear seats)

Definitely as mentioned before take it on as a "buyers beware" type of attitude and do some research on what sort of manufacturing issues there may have been with that model/batch (If applicable). Seems like a good deal however you dont want to purchase something that looks good and rides good at the moment and not to long later you have mechanical issues. No warranty will leave all repairs out of your pocket; however, being a luxury performance vehicle I am sure that Porsche would have been proactive about any problems on their vehicles.
Old 01-22-12, 09:05 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't make the trade. You put your heart and soul into that F. If the mods you listed wasn't purchase and done by yourself, then I would make the trade. You put too much work into your car just to let it go like that.
Old 01-22-12, 09:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

My honest opinion here...

At the end of the day your trading an approx. 3 year old Lexus for a 10 year old Porsche ..

It's a NO GO for me...

~ Joe Z
Old 01-22-12, 09:40 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ that's why I'm thinking he wants out. I track so much, that a GT2 would be so sick, I have thought about one many times. What sits in my mind is that my F is a track monster, no one has them, not like Gt2 is common... Interior is much nicer on the F and I like the four doors. Im thinking i dont wanna pay for carbon ceramic rotors and a Porsche is flasher I think.
Old 01-22-12, 10:27 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Reliability and repair bills would be high on my thoughts. I wanted a high performance car but didn't want one that wasn't going to just give me year after year of trouble free motoring. Costs for repairs on high performance cars can be astronomical.
Old 01-22-12, 10:49 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The GT2 is a rare and valuable car and will certainly be right at home on the track coming stock with adjustable coilover suspension. The motor is based on the older GT1 split-case design and is very strong. Not having the awd will keep issues less complicated. The 996 turbo is know as a good car, however repairs and maintenance will be high. Porsche' are expensive cars to own, I had a 2004 base Carrera that was riddled with problems and contrary to what was stated above
I am sure that Porsche would have been proactive about any problems on their vehicles.
Porsche is NOT proactive about problems, search for "rear main seal (RMS) failure" and "oil water separator" on any Porsche forum and you will hear thousands of complaints never acknowledged by Porsche. My RMS failed 5 times.

I would look here: forums.rennlist.org for more opinions, they have a GT2 specific forum. Also he first generation ceramic brakes on those cars are know to have problems. Most that track the car ditch the rotors for steel ones.

It will be one hell of a fun car at the track with a lot of possibilities but you have to pay to play.

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 01-22-12 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-22-12, 10:58 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

For reference, here is a pristine one with >9000 miles for $75K
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 01-22-12, 12:06 PM
J2K
Pole Position

I honestly wouldn't do it myself. My wife (the boss) gave me the option of selling the F and the Cayman S for a 911 turbo about a month ago. I thought it over for a couple of weeks and decided I just couldn't part with the F. I love the Lexus reliability which is not something that I can say about Porsche. My Cayman S, which is only a weekend car, left me stranded once with a broken shift linkage.... and my 2011 Cayenne S burned about as much oil as it did gas. In fact, Porsche just bought the Cayenne back after a year of trying to fix the problem.
Old 01-22-12, 06:09 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't do it. Your car is much much newer and very reliable. I think you would miss your F.
Old 01-22-12, 06:48 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I would not and can 't help to feel the current owner has some negative experiences like some of the responses you received already and wants a more reliable and less costly car himself. Your car fits the bill while still plenty of performance therefore the offer.
Old 01-22-12, 06:50 PM
LOISF
Driver

No way, keep the F. More reliable, newer, and like Evil Teo said, you already put a lot into the car to just part w/ it.

Quick Reply: Do I make this trade?