ISF or IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 02:23 PM
JeanISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF or IS350

hi guys!

I am new here so this is my first post!.

I was at the dealership today to buy a new 2012 IS 350 AWD (I live in Quebec Canada) and my dealer is offering me an awesome deal on a 2011 ISF that was driven by the dealer owner.

The car only has the equivalent of 5,000 miles, ML Audio, BBS wheels the top of the live and the idea is he is willing to sell it for the same price as the 2012 IS 350.

SInce I can only have 1 car, will I regret it driving this beast on the snow ?

This deal is too good to be true but I don't want to buy a car and hate it in the snow.
Old 01-25-12, 02:29 PM
jmsharp02
Pole Position

You're going to hear a whole lot of the same thing most likely and that's this-tires are what make the biggest difference in the snow-and for stopping power that's definitely true. HOWEVER, I live in Utah and I have an is250 AWD. We had our first big snow of the season a few days ago (which is very unusual) and I was sitting pretty. I was watching all of these RWD and even FWD cars sloshing around in the snow REGARDLESS OF THEIR TIRES. Because when it comes to handling, AWD will always trump RWD or FWD in the snow-no matter the tires.

That said, there are other things to consider when thinking about a 350 vs an F. It's equivalent to buying a beefed up 3 series BMW vs an M3. The ISF is a SWEET machine (I'll be buying one in a few years, my next car) but you're also going to be paying more to service the vehicle, for parts and upkeep, as well as gas etc. So really it's a toss up. IF you're buying the vehicle for practicality in a snowy clime-go with the AWD. You can always trick it out and beef it up if you want. If you want a powerful beast that is sure to turn heads, go with the ISF. My two cents.
Old 01-25-12, 02:30 PM
joe0057
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeanISF
hi guys!

I am new here so this is my first post!.

I was at the dealership today to buy a new 2012 IS 350 AWD (I live in Quebec Canada) and my dealer is offering me an awesome deal on a 2011 ISF that was driven by the dealer owner.

The car only has the equivalent of 5,000 miles, ML Audio, BBS wheels the top of the live and the idea is he is willing to sell it for the same price as the 2012 IS 350.

SInce I can only have 1 car, will I regret it driving this beast on the snow ?

This deal is too good to be true but I don't want to buy a car and hate it in the snow.
the is f is difficult in the snow it is too low a car buy awd cars!
Old 01-25-12, 02:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

People drive their Fs in the snow. If you have experience driving RWD in the snow, it will be no different. If you like AWD in the snow, stick with it.

Personally, I don't care either way. Driving is driving. Know your limitations and drive accordingly.
Old 01-25-12, 02:38 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

My buddy actually just got a is350 awd, its sweet and fast for the middle engine in the IS line. He got it brand new and paid less than I did for my ISF with 20k miles! If you could get the ISF for the same amount, I say ISF! The styling is so much cooler on the ISF.

Ive got blizzaks on my ISF and its awesome in the snow. If you get lots of snow in canada, the all seasons the 350 comes with won't be as good as snow tires. AWD can help accelerate, but the tires are what help with stopping and turning. For all the extra features the ISF has over the IS350, I say go with a used ISF and buy some snow tires/wheels.

If you want great summer performance in either car, you need summer tires in the summer.. all seasons are mediocre in summer and mediocre in winter. Either car you should have a set of summer tires and a set of snow tires for optimal performance.. If you have both sets, then theres no need for AWD unless you put out uncontrollable HP (which neither of these cars do).

Last edited by CaptAwsm; 01-25-12 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 02:40 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

If you deal with a lot of snow and this will be your daily driver, I'd lean towards the AWD. But if you have a 2nd car or the roads are really well plowed where you live then the ISF is definitely the better way to go.

And if nothing else, if you end up buying the IS350 you will need to change your username here. ;-)
Old 01-25-12, 03:28 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Look at insurance rates before you decide.

Whether you buy a IS350 or IS-F, you will need a good set of Blizzak snow tires.
Old 01-25-12, 04:07 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving in the snow is EASIER SAID THEN DONE for those who are saying "its about the driver".

When its snowing and its slushy, RWD will be all over the place, same with FWD. Nothing comes close to an AWD in the snow. Im in colorado, we have mountains, i should know by now.
Old 01-25-12, 04:13 PM
jmsharp02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Driving in the snow is EASIER SAID THEN DONE for those who are saying "its about the driver".

When its snowing and its slushy, RWD will be all over the place, same with FWD. Nothing comes close to an AWD in the snow. Im in colorado, we have mountains, i should know by now.
I thoroughly agree with this statement. There are all kinds of youtube video's and such about driving in the snow with snow tires etc, but it seems like most of the people that say "awd doesn't matter" are from California. How in the world do people from California know what it's REALLY like to drive in the snow? Also-how many people really want to buy two sets of wheels and tires, one for the summer, the other for the winter? I suppose some people, but not many.

As to actually drivability/handling. When all four wheels move-you're going to handle better, regardless of the tires. Let's pit an awd with snow tires against a rwd with snow tires-guess which will handle better? AWD ftw in the snow.
Old 01-25-12, 04:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Ummm, lemme see, I grew up in Iowa in the 60's and 70's when everything was RWD and people managed to drive in the snow just fine. I learned to drive in western PA in a RWD MB 250 where it definitely snows. I was stationed in Colorado and went skiing nearly every weekend I could afford on my military salary in my RWD AMX. We never managed to clock anyone, but did have some fun a few times.

So, yeah, I'm saying it's all about the driver and you think I have no snow driving experience? Please.
Old 01-25-12, 07:34 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, am from Minnesota who drove my F the past two years during winter with Blizzaks on. Guess what? My F is in storage and am driving a 4WD SUV. The F even with winter tires has limitations as in any RWD cars. If this is your daily driver and if you want the peace mind re safety my strong opinion is to go with the 350.
Old 01-25-12, 07:41 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

2011 IS-F over Brand New IS350 all day long...Even though F only comes in RWD, Throw on some blizzaks to get decent traction.
Old 01-25-12, 09:04 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmsharp02
. . . How in the world do people from California know what it's REALLY like to drive in the snow?

http://www.sierranevadaphotos.com/ge...snow_depth.asp

"Winter Snow Depth

'Sierra Nevada" is Spanish for "Snowy Range" and the Sierra Nevada lives up to it's name, recording some of the heaviest snow falls in the world. Some interesting records include:

1 day snowfall: 67 inches (5.6 ft.) at Echo Summit, Jan 4, 1982 (2nd in US)
Single storm snowfall: 186.6 inches (15.6 ft.) at Donner Summit, 1982 (2nd in US)
1 month snowfall: 390 inches (32.5 ft.) at Tamarack, Jan. 1991 (US record)
Total winter snowfall: 884 inches (73.7 ft.) Tamarack, 1906-07
Greatest snow depth: 451 inches (37.6 ft.) at Tamarack, Mar. 11, 1911 (US record)
Highest average March snow depth: 108 inches (9 ft.) at Echo Summit"

Old 01-25-12, 09:11 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

personally I would get the IsF and get a beater for the snow keep the good ish in the garage..... It is based on tires but for peace of mind keep the isf in garage and a get a fwd beater.... honda anyone....

Last edited by Lextrician; 01-30-12 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-25-12, 09:13 PM
dano9258
Driver

In my opinion, the ISF is 100% a better car than the IS350 even with AWD. If you are worried about driving in the snow, just get winter tires the ISF, and then slap the summers on when it gets warmer outside. I don't think its smart to do any racing around in the snow anyways, so its not like you will be going quick in either car. Winter is only 3-4 months, so get the ISF where you can enjoy it the other 8-9 months!

Quick Reply: ISF or IS350