IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Nav screen dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 09:23 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav screen dead

As I was driving to work this morning I realized my nav screen isn't responsive. I can see everything it displays but cannot execute any commands by using the touchscreen. The weird part is that when on the map screen it does allow me to scroll around. Another odd thing is that the info tab is somewhat responsive. When touching any option there it automatically takes me to the language option but wont allow me to change it or hit 'OK'. Has anyone had this issue before or is there a way to reset the screen? I have an SL2Vi and nav override kit installed which still work fine. Can this be an issue? Any help or suggestion/s will be much appreciated.

BTW I have ML

Thanks
Old 01-30-12, 12:16 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

This happened to me last year and it caused quite a headache. If you have a warranty, take it to the dealer and they should take care of you. I dont remember the exact cost, but i remember it being in the 3k range for a new unit. I could be mistaken on the price though.
Old 01-30-12, 12:18 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have fixed and/or assisted in fixing 3 of these pieces of crap by now. Search the 2IS section for the DIY on fixing it yourself It isn't that bad as long as you are ok using a circuit writer pen.

SLAY has seen me begin to fix a nav screen in person before. He can vouche.
Old 01-30-12, 12:21 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

I guess my next question is do I need to remove the vaistech and nav override unit? Will the dealer try to screw me by saying those devices void my warranty? uuggh what a headache as I just got this stuff installed recently and have to pay to remove and re-install again at a later date.
Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
This happened to me last year and it caused quite a headache. If you have a warranty, take it to the dealer and they should take care of you. I dont remember the exact cost, but i remember it being in the 3k range for a new unit. I could be mistaken on the price though.
Old 01-30-12, 01:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Yeah remove it...

No sense in showing up to the dealer with a couple of Plug & Play units plugged into the back of your Radio / Nav screen...

Just be glad you didn't hack the nav wiring.. As soon as they see that, warranty is toasted on the Nav Screen!!

Good Luck

~ Joe Z
Old 01-30-12, 04:19 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I have fixed and/or assisted in fixing 3 of these pieces of crap by now. Search the 2IS section for the DIY on fixing it yourself It isn't that bad as long as you are ok using a circuit writer pen.

SLAY has seen me begin to fix a nav screen in person before. He can vouche.
Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
I guess my next question is do I need to remove the vaistech and nav override unit? Will the dealer try to screw me by saying those devices void my warranty? uuggh what a headache as I just got this stuff installed recently and have to pay to remove and re-install again at a later date.
Ya I would remove everything that would give them any chance of denying the claim.

If you choose to do it yourself, definitely just ask CCJ22 what to do and he'll help you out.
Ive seen him do in two minutes, what the dealer charges over 6 hours work.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-30-12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-30-12, 05:15 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

mine broke this month as well. i bought extended warranty last year so i was covered, whew!
Old 01-30-12, 05:52 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told that the new nav screen is around $3,000 without labor for tear out and installation.

2012 ISF Obsidian
Rural PA
Old 01-30-12, 06:48 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could this be something that can be covered under our car insurance?
Old 01-30-12, 06:49 PM
exdakine
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my nav screen on my 08 ISF was also replaced under warranty
Old 01-31-12, 08:58 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

This is crazy. I would have expected my nav screen to last longer than 4 years. I hardly use the thing because my car is rarely driven. 23K on a 2008 model...
Old 01-31-12, 10:52 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

This is crazy. I would have expected my nav screen to last longer than 4 years. I hardly use the thing because my car is rarely driven. 23K on a 2008 model...
Bad electrical contacts (the case here) can fail at anytime, mileage rarely makes a difference. Mostly temperature changes and vibration.

It's been well documented here that the signal leads used in the "touch" portion of the navi display are weak and not up to the task. The DIY repair is to repair the traces on the connector to "re-connect", the warranty/dealer repair is to simple remove and re-install a new unit. They don't actually fix the problem. I'm sure all they failed units are now being sent back to Lexus where they are repaired and "refreshed" and placed back in stock as "rebuilds" (like an old alternator) for repairing the newly failed units. It's just the way it goes.

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 01-31-12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-31-12, 12:05 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how they could screw you because of the VAISTECH unit as my dealer installed the SL2iUP in my car as an iPod solution. Mine didn't, however, have a nav override. I'd take the VAIS stuff out and see if your unit resumes normal ops before taking it in for service.
Old 05-05-13, 03:13 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another navi screen dead.. I can't change my climate controls, navigation or anything anymore and Service dept today is closed.

Bumping this thread up for those who are unaware of this wide spread problem (I sure wasn't aware of this)
Old 05-05-13, 03:21 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Is it unresponsive even when you shut off the car and start it up again?

Quick Reply: Nav screen dead