IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Does everybody hate the stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 04:51 PM
rpISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Hmm let's see, wheels are no good without tires correct? The new wheels don't visually look any wider than all the previous years. And the still have the same size tires. So your point was? Your making it seem like they 2012 wheels look wider and have wider tires. They don't..
I think the main point is that the 2012 wheels will be able to fit 255/295 tires after you burn through the stock rubber. That 1/2" makes them way better than the 08/09 or 10/11 wheels...even though I do love the 08/09 wheel style.
Old 02-19-12, 05:09 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davcrz5
Like most F owner wished they were wider and had different offset pushing the rims out a little further.

Attachment 236756

Attachment 236757
If I'm correct the BBS make the 11-current wheels, just order some form BBS and have them in your preferred offset, wider and what ever else...
Old 02-19-12, 06:14 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Hmm let's see, wheels are no good without tires correct? The new wheels don't visually look any wider than all the previous years. And the still have the same size tires. So your point was? Your making it seem like they 2012 wheels look wider and have wider tires. They don't..
The rims ARE wider! I just said I don't mind the look of the wider 2012 wheels....

We are NOT talking tyres....

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-19-12 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 06:16 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mjthind
If I'm correct the BBS make the 11-current wheels, just order some form BBS and have them in your preferred offset, wider and what ever else...
That would be a very expensive excercise!
Old 02-19-12, 06:36 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the wheels on my '12 as well. I understand they are a half inch wider than last year?

What cleaner do you recommend that will not damage the wheels?
Old 02-19-12, 07:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I like the wheels on my '12 as well. I understand they are a half inch wider than last year?

The same soap you use to wash the body. The wheels are painted and clear coated just like the factory finish on the rest of the car. There's no reason to ruin it with something more harsh than regular car wash and a little elbow grease.
Old 02-19-12, 07:52 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I use this kit for my wheels/tires
http://www.autogeek.net/wg8500.html

The gel wheel cleaner is SAFE for painted wheels like our OEM ones.....

and these wheel brushes
http://www.autogeek.net/daytona-spee...r-brushes.html

It also really helps if you use a Wheel wax or glaze to help retard the brake dust from attatching as much...
http://www.autogeek.net/dp-wheel-glaze.html

I've spent over $1,000 in car cleaning/detailing suplies for my F much to the chagrin of my wife.....

This site(autogeek.net) is AWESOME and has "How to Articles/Videos" on ever aspect of car detailing..... such as this one below for taking care of our painted wheels....

http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-clean...at-wheels.html

BTW.... NEVER.... I REPEAT NEVER EVER EVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO AN AUTOMATIC CAR WASH THAT TOUCHES YOUR CAR WITH SPINNING THINGS OR THAT TOUCHES YOUR CAR AT ALL!!!

I made this mistake many times with my F over the course of a couple of months early last year and the SWIRL I caused made me sick to my stomach.....

ALWAYS Wash your car by hand or use a TOUCHLESS car wash.....
You don't want to be buffing your car for 2 days straight with swirl removers etc. like I had to do....
just saying...
I have NO AFFILIATION with this website whatsoever BTW... I just want to be helpful!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-19-12 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 08:02 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Due to the terrible dust issue, I coated my wheels in a glass coating called C.Quartz. This is basically a 'super sealant' with very strong durability. Opti-Coat 2.0, and Gtechniq C1 are another two 'super sealants' to look at too.

All thats needed to clean them is normal car wash and microfiber cloth, sponge, mit, or what ever you use to wash your car. It just wipes off extremely easy! No harsh chemicals / wheel cleaners. Most brake dust just comes off with the hose or pressure washer.
Old 02-19-12, 08:32 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexyISF
The rims ARE wider! I just said I don't mind the look of the wider 2012 wheels....

We are NOT talking tyres....
I am talking about TIRES because they are part of the wheel. The extra 1/2" does nothing unless you spend your own money on wider tires. They still come with 255s. So it makes no difference in stock form.
Old 02-19-12, 08:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

I am talking about TIRES because they are part of the wheel. The extra 1/2" does nothing unless you spend your own money on wider tires. They still come with 255s. So it makes no difference in stock form.
They're also the most easily and commonly changed part on any car. Add to this a tad more sidewall stiffness by getting closer to the ideal rim width and there may be a small but measurable improvement in performance. Surely the difference in lap times at the Lightning Lap is pretty substantial between the '08 and the '11, and all reports say the '12 is even better.
Old 02-20-12, 08:00 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexyISF
All thats needed to clean them is normal car wash and microfiber cloth, sponge, mit, or what ever you use to wash your car.
I wouldn't use the SAME sponge/mit to wash your wheels that you use to wash your car and for that matter, the same microfiber towel (or similiar drying towel) to dry them and your car.... Otherwise you could be washing/drying your car's paint with a mit/towel contaminated with brake dust and that's not good for your paint!
Old 02-20-12, 08:35 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the stock wheels but I still changed out my wheels. It's just the mod bug like what was mentioned before. I still throw my stock wheels on from time to time just to give my car a nice visual change for a little while.
Old 02-20-12, 12:17 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I wouldn't use the SAME sponge/mit to wash your wheels that you use to wash your car and for that matter, the same microfiber towel (or similiar drying towel) to dry them and your car.... Otherwise you could be washing/drying your car's paint with a mit/towel contaminated with brake dust and that's not good for your paint!
I'm making reference to the ease of use, the one swipe removal of the brake dust, with what ever you might have, with car shampoo! Of course I don't use the same cloth / sponge. You are talking to someone that is on several detailing forums, and has $$$$ of detailing equipment.
Old 02-20-12, 12:59 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think anyone here "hates" the stock wheels. I think they are very nice for a stock wheel. But I've always been a wheel ***** with all my cars. And I think the F looks much more aggressive with a nice wide aftermarket wheel. The stock 255s rear look tiny on the car. But I would never sell my stock wheels.
Hate is definitely too strong a word to apply to an object like wheels.
However, there is nothing I like about the stockers on the ISF. A car with over 400hp needs wheels that are more aggressive. The wheels should scream "Power on Board"
Something open faced with 5 or7 spokes. It could be 8 or 10 if the spokes are very thin.
For me it also needs a lip. Wheels with lips look more custom and more exotic. No lipped wheels look too stockish.
Bottom line is the stockers look too soft and the ISF is a beast. Put some claws on the beast.

Last edited by Ice350; 02-27-12 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-20-12, 06:19 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They're also the most easily and commonly changed part on any car. Add to this a tad more sidewall stiffness by getting closer to the ideal rim width and there may be a small but measurable improvement in performance. Surely the difference in lap times at the Lightning Lap is pretty substantial between the '08 and the '11, and all reports say the '12 is even better.
Yea I would love to drive a '12 model to feel the differences.

Quick Reply: Does everybody hate the stock wheels?