IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sikky header vs PPE header, header first or exhaust first???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 11:35 PM
kenysl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sikky header vs PPE header, header first or exhaust first???

Anyone done a comparison between these two headers? Sikky claims more HP gain but does PPE include the Cat as well? Price wise Sikky is cheaper rite?

How many sections are there in the whole exhaust system actually? I am interested on the HKS SSM exhaust cuz of its sound, but then the header seems to get more performance value.

What options are there for the sport cat?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-12, 11:57 PM
ItsanF
Driver

Neither have cats. As far as mods, you have to think about what means more to you, sound or performance. From what we have heard, the ssm hks doesn't yield high hp gains but it does sound sick. JoeZ and ISS both make some really nice exhausts that many members here enjoy. Besides full exhaust, headers and an intake are really all you can do. From there, members have ported their manifolds, ran nos, and there is a $17k turbo kit. As far as your question in your title about which to buy first, I would suggest getting a full exhaust if you live in Cali. Then if you decide to get headers later it will give you better numbers cuz it won't bottleneck.
Old 02-20-12, 12:36 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

You have a split opinion on Sikky and PPE headers, but you can't really go wrong with either. The whole exhaust system is basically the headers and the exhuast from the headers to the mufflers. So you just get the headers and a full exhaust system. I would go with the exhaust and intake. Not as much HP gain, but you will get the sound you want without being too loud. If you get headers, you will probably have to get some type of cat or it will be loud. Random Technology are race cats that people use, but some have been have problems recently. You can search it on this forum to read what people say. Some use Magnaflow cats without any problems. Just research using the search function in this forum, and you will find out a lot.
Old 02-20-12, 07:30 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our exhaust system is 2 pieces, Header and then one whole exhaust pipe. None come with cats. You'd have to get them welded on later if you want them on.

What are you looking for right now, more hp or more sound? The header will give you some more sounds but not as much as the full exhaust. It'll also give you more whp. The exhaust will give you more sound with some hp gain.
Old 02-20-12, 10:57 AM
mikelexF
Rookie

I think i read on some posts that headers threw a CEL with a few members, so I went with JoeZ exhaust system. The system is behind the primary cat so no worries of getting a CEL.
Old 02-20-12, 11:34 AM
madastep
Pole Position

I've had the PPE Headers and Joe-Z exhaust on since August , no CEL's yet
Old 02-20-12, 12:02 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

no cel, as long as you follow instruction how to wire those o2 conditioner to the ecu box , that is the trick... sikky or ppe either one are very good...
Old 02-20-12, 12:05 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

go headers first if u want more gains then sound.
Old 02-20-12, 06:52 PM
kenysl
Rookie

It's a dilemma really. Over 40-50 hp gain is very attractive with the header. And it's cheaper too. Any engine fault code after altering the header or exhaust?

I recently heard an isf in real life with icode titanium mid to end and it wasn't exactly what I'm looking for. But that does save lots of weight, like 30 lbs. Thought about joe z before but now the hks looks much cheaper so that's tempting.
Old 02-20-12, 07:42 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

^^Joe Z is actually cheaper then HKS. not sure if u talking about price point. I say do headers first!
Old 02-20-12, 08:43 PM
ItsanF
Driver

yea, i agree with teo, if you want the HP get the headers. cant go wrong with those gains. just remember, if you are not savy with our motors, you can expect to pay somewhere near 600-900 at a reputable shop to get them installed, putting the TOTAL cost of the headers at a little bit above 2k. The joez exhaust is much cheaper than the hks, gives better hp gains, but depends once again on what you are looking for. Sound only, hks in my opinion. Everything else, joez.
Old 02-20-12, 10:38 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

If you just do headers and no exhaust, would the sound be much more over stock for normal driving?
Old 02-20-12, 10:41 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

it will sound a little bit louder but really not much at all, it will still sound like stock.
Old 02-20-12, 10:41 PM
ItsanF
Driver

it is louder, but not by very much..check out youtube, there is a video of an ISF that is all stock except for the sikky headers.
Old 02-20-12, 10:45 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Thanks, and I'm also assuming the hp gains will still be int he 30-40 whp range even with the bottleneck in the exhaust?

Quick Reply: Sikky header vs PPE header, header first or exhaust first???