Red Caliper opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 12:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Fapout
I'm starting a red caliper movement!!!
Yeup.... Everyone should paint them Red now...

~ Joe Z
Old 02-22-12, 01:03 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been planning on doing it in the next month or so as well....
KJH....LOVE your Super Supras!!! especially feeling the black one..... very nice!!!!
T-Rex, I think I've told you before.... those MRM calipers are GORGEOUS!!!!! I assume since you didn't mention it, but I guess it hasn't been a problem using regular car paint on your calipers? (with extreme heat as a possible issue... ) I was going to use the red high temp caliper paint that you can buy and doing it myself, but I think the MRM would look better with my USB....
Old 02-22-12, 01:43 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Doing mine yellow this summer

Taking it to a shop to do it. (Too lazy to do it myself). How much should I pay for the work?

Last edited by IceIridium; 02-22-12 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 02:01 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Doing mine yellow this summer

Taking it to a shop to do it. (Too lazy to do it myself). How much should I pay for the work?
$20 and a six pack.
Old 02-22-12, 02:21 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I've been planning on doing it in the next month or so as well....
KJH....LOVE your Super Supras!!! especially feeling the black one..... very nice!!!!
T-Rex, I think I've told you before.... those MRM calipers are GORGEOUS!!!!! I assume since you didn't mention it, but I guess it hasn't been a problem using regular car paint on your calipers? (with extreme heat as a possible issue... ) I was going to use the red high temp caliper paint that you can buy and doing it myself, but I think the MRM would look better with my USB....
Thank you sir. I got mine painted at a Lexus collision center. They were hesitant to paint them because of the heat issue. Long story short, they checked with the paint rep and they were told as long as the clear coat is on, it'll withstand the heat. So far, I have no issues yet. Hopefully I can take it to the track some time soon to see if it does take the heat.

Terrance
Old 02-22-12, 02:30 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
Thank you sir. I got mine painted at a Lexus collision center. They were hesitant to paint them because of the heat issue. Long story short, they checked with the paint rep and they were told as long as the clear coat is on, it'll withstand the heat. So far, I have no issues yet. Hopefully I can take it to the track some time soon to see if it does take the heat.

Terrance
If your lucky... The "Brembo" writing will become a nice Gold color...

Kinda something like this....

~ Joe Z
Old 02-22-12, 04:15 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

What color should I paint my calipers on a MM? Any suggestions? Also, how much does a typical body shop charge to do all the work? I was thinking the blue color around the F logo would like nice but would first like some feed back. Sorry for the mini-thread jack..
Old 02-22-12, 04:23 PM
djhydro
Driver

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
What color should I paint my calipers on a MM? Any suggestions? Also, how much does a typical body shop charge to do all the work? I was thinking the blue color around the F logo would like nice but would first like some feed back. Sorry for the mini-thread jack..
I actually got the blue color which is around the F emblem and honestly I didnt love it.. It matched perfectly but the blue emblem has hint of almost torquise. It was almost too dull and didnt stand out.. I am actually now getting it redone to possible burnt orange (hopefully) Talk about standing out
Old 02-22-12, 04:35 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U got to do it right, sand it down, clean it, and paint at least 4 to 5 coats and then put on the decal paint at least 3 clear coats.. 10 to 15 minutes between each coat, u can do it, just tape around the rotor with old newspaper . take your time .. clean all the dust with brake cleaner . After a few hours Voila For MM i like Silver with black decal.. or that just me. I did it on my previous IS350 for over 3 yrs and not single scratch on it. Remember to pick high temperature paint. 2 cans should be enough and some paint blue tape..
Old 02-22-12, 05:36 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

are decals heat resistant enough for calipers? do they have to be a particular type of material?
Old 02-22-12, 05:41 PM
xjason
Driver

Looks nice with either a black or red car.
Old 02-22-12, 05:59 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

I have mine true brembo red with white decals and so much clear coat the decal looks engraved. It turned out amazing doing it myself and I get lots of compliments and see people staring at my brakes at lights.
Old 02-22-12, 06:10 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
are decals heat resistant enough for calipers? do they have to be a particular type of material?
I think they all the same material, the question is how many coats u want to put on it, 4 coats should do it.
Old 02-23-12, 12:12 PM
wiredGS400
Driver

Default Anyone know of any good DIYs for caliper painting?

I love that orange posted by DCB above. I was thinking a bright, porsche styled yellow, but might go with the orange now. Mines Obsidian, so either should look great. Gonna also ask a shop in the neighborhood and see what they would charge.
Old 02-23-12, 12:46 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wiredGS400
I love that orange posted by DCB above. I was thinking a bright, porsche styled yellow, but might go with the orange now. Mines Obsidian, so either should look great. Gonna also ask a shop in the neighborhood and see what they would charge.
Now I'm trying to figure out the brand. I bought dupli-color, didn't go with the G2 for a premium. i'm reading mixed reviews on both but as far as I can tell. It comes down to how well you prep for the paint.

Quick Reply: Red Caliper opinions