IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone Come from BMW M to ISF and never looked back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-12, 05:38 PM
ItsanF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jus like kingkrs said, he test drove the m3 as well and he too realized it was nice, but it wasn't the most awesome thing he has ever driven... BMW fanboys are really good at making people think the m3 is the best car that set its wheels on the earth..
Old 02-25-12, 06:26 PM
TripleBlkF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kingkrs
Test drove a 08 M3 before I bought the 08 F. I love the look of the M3 and the reputation of it being such a drivers car. But what kept me away were a few things.

1. it was priced much higher than the 08 CPO IS-F I was also looking at. Same year same amount of miles.
2. the BMW dealer treated me like I was not a serious buyer. Saying they don't like to let people take the M vehicles on a test drive. Almost didn't get to test drive it because I was going to leave, but I got to drive it in the end.

After the drive I was not overly impressed. I guess I was expecting something more considering all the hype and BMW lovers / experts making so much of it. I left the dealership unimpressed and kinda let down.

I went to the Lexus dealer and took the test drive and the rest is history!
I noticed you upgraded to the '11... any particular reason? the only reason i would do that is for the improved daily ride, but, i like my gauges better! What were your thoughts?

BMWM2ISF... i wish you all the best, you cannot go wrong with either!

For me? I am on my second Lexus and every time i think about it, I am confident in its sophistication, excitement, reliability, and sound. It never sounds stressed like the beemer.

HERE'S THE KICKER... if you don't get the M3 in the manual, then there is no reason to get it. The ISF transmission is just as impressive as BMW's DCT or even SMG - and its got one less clutch!

i used to have a trans am WS6 and learned a lot about displacement... so, as far as I am concerned...5.0L > 4.0L
Old 02-25-12, 11:05 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TripleBlkF
I noticed you upgraded to the '11... any particular reason? the only reason i would do that is for the improved daily ride, but, i like my gauges better! What were your thoughts?
I traded up mainly for the improved suspension. After owning and driving it for a while I think the 11 is much better than the 08 was. Turns out that the steering was improved upon too. At first I didn't like the wheels and the dash layout, but I don't mind them now. Still good cars both of them but the 11 gets the nod.

I am glad I went with the IS-F instead of the M3. I like the reliability piece of mind that I get with the Lexus. And not to mention the JD Power results that just came out helped solidify that feeling.
Old 02-26-12, 06:32 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingkrs
I traded up mainly for the improved suspension. After owning and driving it for a while I think the 11 is much better than the 08 was. Turns out that the steering was improved upon too. At first I didn't like the wheels and the dash layout, but I don't mind them now. Still good cars both of them but the 11 gets the nod.

I am glad I went with the IS-F instead of the M3. I like the reliability piece of mind that I get with the Lexus. And not to mention the JD Power results that just came out helped solidify that feeling.
I agree 100%.
Old 02-26-12, 06:35 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

M3 is fantastic if you have horrible taste
Old 02-26-12, 07:08 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItsanF
Jus like kingkrs said, he test drove the m3 as well and he too realized it was nice, but it wasn't the most awesome thing he has ever driven... BMW fanboys are really good at making people think the m3 is the best car that set its wheels on the earth..
I feel that I get more value with the F. Reliability, feel and price. I would like to own an M3 one day.
Old 02-26-12, 07:38 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

A friend of mine had the latest gen M3 and several months after owning it, the engine almost ran out of oil. It was a brand new car and the motor was burning oil
Old 02-27-12, 07:23 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonT
The M3 pulled the ISF from any MPH...up to 120 it was about 1.5-2 car lengths and then it seemed to be pretty event. The C63 just simply KILLS both cars, my 12 has the p31 package and they are making 420 whp STOCK. Having said that, the gas mileage, fit, finish, feel and overall package on the ISF still talks to me. I might pick up a 12 ISF just to try it.

Peter
I currently own 2011 IS-F and few weeks ago I ran white 2011 6spd E92 M3 twice, once from dig and second from 30mph roll I won both times maybe M3 being 6spd manual had something to with but these two cars now are so close IMO it comes down to driver, and which car gets better traction when racing from dig and from roll race timing your shifts properly which in F is pretty hard not to do since cars tells when to shift lol

It's funny M3 and IS-F are two totally different cars but yet they both manage to achieve similar performance numbers. I say M3 may be better track car for average driver and IS-F better street car just my opinion two great cars either way.
Old 03-29-12, 07:30 AM
Heather558
Driver

I had an 02 M3 conv. Fully loaded- blast to drive but my parents gave their isf at half off so I couldn't pass it up bc my BMW didn't have a warranty and it had higher mileage. The only thing I miss is the rag top. The isf is so high tech compared to my old m3. Yes, I'm not comparing a newer M3 but my boss has a new m3 and I went on a long trip with him and that car is BORING compared to the Lexus. I wouldn't give my up my isf.