IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pic Request: ISF with CF splitters

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 08:20 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
Oops sorry cha7Li3 just replied to your PM and then saw this.. ha ha. They did a good job on the install.

Haha Thanks for the reply. I just emailed the place my I told my sister to get her rims for her e93 since they did other stuff besides rims too. Worked out really well.
Old 03-11-12, 09:22 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be curious as to how those hold up, I installed mine with rivets and self tapping screws and they lasted 2 weeks before cracking and flying off while going 80.
Old 03-12-12, 09:49 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Originally Posted by Pqbrown
I'll be curious as to how those hold up, I installed mine with rivets and self tapping screws and they lasted 2 weeks before cracking and flying off while going 80.
Damn... That does not sound to great for me. Just hope now I don't get the same bad luck lol.
Old 03-12-12, 10:10 AM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@ pqbrown - Ouch...sorry to hear that! Out of curiosity, how many screws/bolts per side were you using? Also, had you used oversized washers?

I bought the Autoteknics and just got mine installed. What I did before mounting was I used velcro prior to drilling/mounting in order to adjust them into the exact position I wanted. Doing it this way I was able to play around with what looked better to me prior to mounting...having them sticking out more, or having them tucked in.

In the 2nd pic below you can see where the one on the left is sticking out more, and then the one on the right is more tucked in. I ended up going with the "tucked in" look when I mounted them as I think it looks a bit more subtle and understated.

I used 8 screws per side with loctite and oversized washers. We'll see how well they hold up.

Pic Request: ISF with CF splitters-splitter-closeup.jpg

Pic Request: ISF with CF splitters-2a.jpg

Last edited by Apexsports; 03-30-12 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 10:55 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ wow look great.
Old 03-12-12, 03:11 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

I used 2 self tapping screws on the enda with washers and 5 rivets in between the screws. It felt pretty solid on there. I figured thr problem is its a splitter and I imagine there is a lot of force pulling down on it. I guess the worst the can happen is they break, although on mine it caused a one inch crack on the corner of the bumper.
Old 03-12-12, 08:24 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all these cases it seems like the installation was good, the problem was the splitter itself which "split" because of the down force. Whether it was rivets or screws or bolts/nuts with big washers, the splitter broke. Maybe too many screws/rivets compromised the splitter's structure?
Old 03-12-12, 09:29 PM
ILowNslowI
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am I the only one whos not a big fan of these?! I mean they look 'ok' but id rather see a nice lip on there
Old 03-13-12, 12:30 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Juanca
In all these cases it seems like the installation was good, the problem was the splitter itself which "split" because of the down force. Whether it was rivets or screws or bolts/nuts with big washers, the splitter broke. Maybe too many screws/rivets compromised the splitter's structure?
I think so too, it's cheap, fragile abs plastic and those points of contact with the screw/bolt/rivet etc probably makes those pressure points more prone to cracking and they just end up breaking with all the force exerted. The solution IMO is to use stronger materials (all carbon fiber) or just get a lip.
Old 03-14-12, 12:18 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

I think so too, it's cheap, fragile abs plastic and those points of contact with the screw/bolt/rivet etc probably makes those pressure points more prone to cracking and they just end up breaking with all the force exerted. The solution IMO is to use stronger materials (all carbon fiber) or just get a lip.
I'm thinking of epoxying a metal plate or something similar to the splitter itself for it to act like a brace.
Old 03-30-12, 10:24 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Update on the splitters, I just made a trip to and from San Jose from Orange County(Total 800+ miles). The Splitter held up at consents 80+ mph, as well has holding up to the occasional 100+ mph. I guess the position of my screws was just right.
Old 03-30-12, 11:06 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i took my car upto 140+mph the other day and it held up fine.. screw and big washer for me.
Old 03-30-12, 11:26 AM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

drove from austin to new orleans and back 80-100mph...no problems....bolt, big washer, and nut
Old 03-30-12, 01:50 PM
cha7Li3
Driver

Originally Posted by obby
i took my car upto 140+mph the other day and it held up fine.. screw and big washer for me.
Originally Posted by LiLS
drove from austin to new orleans and back 80-100mph...no problems....bolt, big washer, and nut
Good to hear you guy's are holding up as well.
Old 03-30-12, 02:11 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

yessir! and heres how they look on mine

Quick Reply: Pic Request: ISF with CF splitters