IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Other Peoples' Fs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 08:18 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other Peoples' Fs

Or: High-Performance Car, Low-Performance Driver. <-- Me.

So I've lots of experience at low-performance driving but now I have a pretty high-performance car and I want to learn how to drive it. Also, I'm finding all the slow cars and speed limits on normal streets frustrating and want to get a least some track time.

I was looking at Hooked On Driving (HOD) which seems like the cheapest way to get track time with a volunteer "coach." But I need to figure out insurance and also how to fit a helmet between me and the roof of my F. And, I would really like to learn from a real school first and learn in my own car, if possible

So I looked at one famous driving school and it is far away, expensive and they use Cadillacs. Still, I was considering it. I could still learn basic driving in another car if not the limits and characteristics of my own IS F.

Then I checked out the Skip Barber School and discovered their High Performance Driving class features the IS F. Their IS Fs, not mine. Also, it's relatively inexpensive and the Laguna Seca Track is only a 2-hour drive from here.

This is a school with professional instructors rather than volunteer coaches and I can learn in a car like mine, while mine sits safely in the parking lot.

Bingo!

I'm signed up for March 10. In addition to an IS F, I will be driving other cars - the web site says 3 different types of Porsche cars and a Lotus. I also have the option to use my own car if I want, but that raises the issue of insurance again.

The bad news is that most of the day is in the paddock and on the skid pad learning to drive and you only get about 20 minutes of track time. But instruction is what I want first.

Also, their Fs are stock and if they have pre-2011 versions, their Fs will handle differently then mine, which is not ideal.

For this class, a helmet is only needed for the track time, so I'm hoping to see if a helmet works in the F. With only 20 minutes of track time and other cars available, having a helmet that does not fit won't kill the whole day and so I can see how it works. I'm also hoping to find out at the school if someone sells one-day track insurance that could be used for HOD.

Then lots of track time can follow at HOD.

I'm looking forward to this - hoping to come out a better and safer driver.
Old 03-02-12, 08:41 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything sounded great but damn, only 20mins behind the wheel?
Old 03-02-12, 08:46 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Everything sounded great but damn, only 20mins behind the wheel?
No, you spend most of the day behind the wheel but only 20 minutes on the track itself.
Old 03-02-12, 11:16 PM
JcISF
Rookie

Sounds like fun. How much does something like this cost?
Old 03-02-12, 11:20 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck. The way I learnt was to drive my STI at a closed track event in TX. I followed my buddy who drove a lancer and after 3 laps I got the feel and the hang. As far as the F goes I still am scared to push it as I need to go to an auto cross or a track to let it rip open so I get the real feel. The driving schools are too expensive or me.
Old 03-03-12, 04:27 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my guess is you won't even notice the slight improvements in using the older models
quote the lobux signature
the best performance mods are to the driver and not the car

i wish i could do something like that
tracks or schools in canada are few and far between
and one with an isf neevvvveeerrrr
Old 03-03-12, 05:22 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hahahaf
my guess is you won't even notice the slight improvements in using the older models
quote the lobux signature
the best performance mods are to the driver and not the car

i wish i could do something like that
tracks or schools in canada are few and far between
and one with an isf neevvvveeerrrr
^^^FYI- Ian Law Car Control School is a really good performance driving place in Ontario with all kinds of skill levels and classes.
http://www.carcontrolschool.com/
Plus in most cases you drive your own car...minus the Laguna Seca Track of course - his track courses take place at the Mosport track.
Old 03-03-12, 08:32 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

You're going to enjoy Laguna Seca. Even if the time for yourself to drive is limited, the experience and training are things you can take with you for future events and track days. I, too, did the Skip Babrbar Performance School, and it was such an amazing time! I think in total there were three of us (all new F owners), and so that allowed for more time on the track. We were able to push the F to the limits without being afraid- for the most part- about something going wrong. If you're having someone attending with you, I'd advise to have them take video of your experience. That way you can see where you might have room for improvement and to prove you were on a race track! Enjoy your time!

Oh, and the helmet is a bit of an issue. Even if you're average height, the helmet will be grinding against the topliner of the car. I had to tilt considerably, so afterwards, my neck was hurting bad.
Old 03-03-12, 09:21 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JcISF
Sounds like fun. How much does something like this cost?
They have several categories of classes but the one I'm taking (that uses the IS Fs) is the 1-day high performance driving class. Their prices for that are:

1-day class = $1,800
2-day class = $3,200

But I clicked on the "Deals" tab at their website and got a better price for a near-term event. (I guess prices go down as the day approaches and spots remain available.) So I paid $1,080 for the 1-day class. I paid an additional $175 for insurance in case I break one of their cars. (I paid up-front and it's not refundable at this point.)

Also, one night in a hotel in Monterey and round-trip gas.

http://www.skipbarber.com/default.asp
Old 03-03-12, 12:44 PM
JcISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
They have several categories of classes but the one I'm taking (that uses the IS Fs) is the 1-day high performance driving class. Their prices for that are:

1-day class = $1,800
2-day class = $3,200

But I clicked on the "Deals" tab at their website and got a better price for a near-term event. (I guess prices go down as the day approaches and spots remain available.) So I paid $1,080 for the 1-day class. I paid an additional $175 for insurance in case I break one of their cars. (I paid up-front and it's not refundable at this point.)

Also, one night in a hotel in Monterey and round-trip gas.

http://www.skipbarber.com/default.asp
Not too bad I guess. Let us know how it goes and if you think it was a good experience. Good post and have a good time!
Old 03-03-12, 01:43 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrySmith

1-day class = $1,800
2-day class = $3,200

[/URL]
Ouch! I joined the BMW club. They have autocross and track days all over the U.S where you drive with an instructor. Any vehicles are allowed and you'll probably be on the track with some M3's and vettes, etc. The cost is waaaay less than those figures. See http://www.bmwcca.org/index
Old 03-03-12, 04:27 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I suggest you buy Bondurant's driving book. It will tell you all the basics of driving. Tire footprint, weight transfer, over/understeer., Finding the apex, centrifugal force etc.

They will go over those concepts on the Skip Barber class but it helps once you go through the class to study the book, it all comes together. When I think about it, the same info they put out on Skip Barber you can find in the documents for Gran Turismo 3.

Basically the best way to get to be as fast as you can in order of importance as far as time gained:

1. Correct Line
2. Maximizing exit speed out of the corner
3. Braking as late as possible.

The key words I remeber from the class are "Slow in, Fast out". Good on you for investing in your driving skills first than on the car.
Old 03-04-12, 10:27 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I suggest you buy Bondurant's driving book. It will tell you all the basics of driving. Tire footprint, weight transfer, over/understeer., Finding the apex, centrifugal force etc.

They will go over those concepts on the Skip Barber class but it helps once you go through the class to study the book, it all comes together. When I think about it, the same info they put out on Skip Barber you can find in the documents for Gran Turismo 3.

Basically the best way to get to be as fast as you can in order of importance as far as time gained:

1. Correct Line
2. Maximizing exit speed out of the corner
3. Braking as late as possible.

The key words I remeber from the class are "Slow in, Fast out". Good on you for investing in your driving skills first than on the car.
Ha! Something for my Christmas gift cards. I just ordered a copy of the Bondurant Book. Thanks for the tip.

Now to find some gloves - to counter the unlikely event of sweaty palms.
Old 03-04-12, 02:59 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

They required gloves when I went a while back so it would be a very good idea to bring a pair.

As far as books, I also got Going Faster by Skip Barber himself which actually is a better book than Bondurant's. In any case, can't go wrong with having both.
Old 03-10-12, 11:04 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Autobacs
. . . Good on you for investing in your driving skills first than on the car.
Well, after taking the class and driving some Mazda RX8s and a Lotus Evora along with two of the Fs and watching how all the other students did, I can say that driving skills are a far bigger factor than the car's abilities. When you're trying to get a Mazada RX8 to do what you want it to do on the skid pad, you're a long way's away from worrying about the difference between an F and a modified F.

I learned a lot today and improved my skills but I have a lot more to learn so I will probably go back for more.

BTW, compared to the other cars used in the school, the F is a monster as is in: POWER!

Anyway, unless you already know all this stuff, the course is highly recommended for anyone interested in driving.

So here are some pix from Skip Barber High Performance Driving School at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway, Monterey, CA, March 10, 2012.

Jail bait safe in the parking lot (aka Terry's 2011 Mercury Metallic / Black Lexus IS F) and somebody's Lotus Elise:

Auto cross and don't let the ball out of the bowl:

Skidpad Mazda RX8:

Lotus Evora driven in rapid lane-change exercise (Cool Car, I like it!):

Old man in Lexus (2011 Matador Red Mica / Alpine & Black Lexus IS F):

Quick Reply: Other Peoples' Fs