IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Stereo Sounding Flat and Quiet: Opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 11:09 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Stereo Sounding Flat and Quiet: Opinions please!

hello all. well, i just bought my 09 IS-F last thurs and noticed that the Mark Levinson stereo wasn't very loud. in fact, it sounds really flat and underpowered compared to my wife's 08 IS 250 stock Mark Levinson stereo.

i've ridden/driven my wife's car for the past 2 years now, so, i know what it sounds like compared to mine.

all the speakers seem to be working fine but the sound quality is nowhere near my wife's car.

it's at the dealer now and of course, they are saying nothing is wrong w/ it. any input??

i told them to compare the sound w/ any other IS they have on their lot, that it will be obvious. they are supposed to get back to me.

your opinions and thoughts are appreciated.
Old 03-15-12, 11:43 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have them park it next to an IS with the same stereo and prove to you there is nothing wrong with your stereo.
Old 03-15-12, 11:43 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

Just throwing this out there (I'm sure you checked this already)

Is the Surround Option on/off?
Is the speed dependent volume turned on/off?

I swear the sound system in my car is quiet too. But I guess this isn't a Stereo meant to blow ear drums out
Old 03-15-12, 11:46 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What source are you listening to? Different CD qualities and bit rates will sound vastly different. Make sure your source of music is quality.
Old 03-15-12, 11:56 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

i tried listening w/ the surround off and on. i also turned off the speed dependant feature off. i've listened to CDs and my ipod on both my wife's IS 250 and mine. huge difference.

yeah, i told the service tech to please, just listen to another IS compared to mine w/ the same cd/song/track and that you'll definitely notice a difference. unless they are deaf, i don't know how anyone could not notice.

i also asked them to check the connection to the amp and to see if the amp is working properly, too.

maybe i need to listen to another IS-F?? but i find it difficult to believe that my wife's earlier model (08) stereo sounds way better than my 09.
Old 03-15-12, 12:14 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cremaster
i tried listening w/ the surround off and on. i also turned off the speed dependant feature off. i've listened to CDs and my ipod on both my wife's IS 250 and mine. huge difference.

yeah, i told the service tech to please, just listen to another IS compared to mine w/ the same cd/song/track and that you'll definitely notice a difference. unless they are deaf, i don't know how anyone could not notice.

i also asked them to check the connection to the amp and to see if the amp is working properly, too.

maybe i need to listen to another IS-F?? but i find it difficult to believe that my wife's earlier model (08) stereo sounds way better than my 09.
My F with ML sounds about the same as my 350 with ML. Can you confirm all your speakers are working. If the sound is flat perhaps you have a blown Tweeter or your center is blow
Old 03-15-12, 01:00 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

just got another call from the lexus dealer; said everything checks out, including all the speakers. they said they lined it up next to another IS and played the same radio station and everything sounded the same. ahhhh! i'll just drive it for a while and maybe take it to another dealer. thanks for all the responses.
Old 03-15-12, 02:37 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just got another call from the lexus dealer; said everything checks out, including all the speakers. they said they lined it up next to another IS and played the same radio station and everything sounded the same. ahhhh! i'll just drive it for a while and maybe take it to another dealer. thanks for all the responses.
I would do exactly that, take it to another dealer. They also need to test bass and treble, simply playing a radio station will be hard to determine sound problems.

Also, if you're using Aux make sure you don't max out the volume on your ipod, this will distort the sound. Just make sure the volume is a little less than max on the mp3 player, and the system will sound way better.
Old 03-15-12, 03:11 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

^^ thanks for the tip re: the ipod.
Old 03-15-12, 05:08 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe you are hard of hearing. Maybe your listening to crappy iPod mp3s. Did you adjust your levels at all. Maybe u need to just go with a quality aftermarket stereo system.
Old 03-15-12, 05:24 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chris6878
Maybe you are hard of hearing. Maybe your listening to crappy iPod mp3s. Did you adjust your levels at all. Maybe u need to just go with a quality aftermarket stereo system.
real insightful, troll.
Old 03-15-12, 06:13 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

real insightful, troll.
Man I'm serious. U didn't give any background on yourself. If nobody else hears the problem with your stereo. Maybe u need to check into that. Have u tried listening to another isf