IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

FIGS Track Day at HPR

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 12:39 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Wow, that looks as if it was a blast! Nice track!
Old 03-20-12, 05:27 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice job on the track day! I think a day on the track should be mandatory for anyone with an F so they can get to know the car better as well as learn their own limits.

Also, why did you run on those HPS pads? One thing I realized when I was at my last track event was there was no way in hell I was going to be able to swap pads in between sessions. I had made an attempt to do so in between my last two sessions and was unsuccessful. They brakes were incredibly hot and even after almost an hour were untouchable. Needless to say my last session where I was hoping to up the speed I ended up pretty much just cruising the track focusing on other aspects of driving.

Love the first corn field shot. The car has a nice stance.

Last edited by caymandive; 03-21-12 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-20-12, 07:56 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, that is freakin' awesome. Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-20-12, 09:40 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Nice job on the track day! I think a day on the track should be mandatory for anyone with an F so they can get to know the car better as well as learn their own limits.

Also, why did you run on those HPS pads? One thing I realized when I was at my last track event was there was no way in hell I was going to be able to swap pads in between sessions. I had made an attempt to do so in between my last two sessions and was unsuccessful. They brakes were incredibly hot and even after almost an hour were untouchable. Needless to say my last session where I was hoping to up the speed I ended up pretty much just cruising the track focusing on other aspects of driving.

Love the first corn field shot. The car has a nice stance.
Man that is my biggest regret on this round was the pads. It was totally unplanned and I had a days notice. The HPS have been perfect for the street because the demands have been so low, but given the long back straight there was just no way they were gonna last.

Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by caymandive; 03-21-12 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-20-12, 09:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Thanks - I am curious if I can get my helmet on and drive in a proper seating position. That will be a challenge I think. Yes, will keep an eye on gauges. I worry most about fading brakes and tire pressures.

Can you give me an idea of what PSI you keep your tires at (cold) and what is optimal (hot)?
44 psi hot. Around 32 psi cold.
Old 03-21-12, 08:48 AM
SSTHO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
44 psi hot. Around 32 psi cold.
Thanks lobuxracer!
Old 03-21-12, 09:36 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Here is the vid with the Viper. Man so frustrated watching this as the second lap the brakes were done so I have to baby that back straight. That Viper can fly though, his acceleration was unbelieveable.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 03-21-12, 10:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

The F needs better pads on a tight track. Too many heavy braking zones on that track to run a street/race compound. I know Carbotech's XP10s would work fine there. Not cheap, but definitely won't fade (as long as the stability controls are off).
Old 03-22-12, 06:31 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Yep, Lance, that is the exact direction I am going to take with the XP10 pad. I also just ordered some rings and plan on making hats for a 2-piece setup. I love to solve a good problem
Old 03-22-12, 08:53 PM
wiredGS400
Driver

Default What are your thoughts on being square

tire wise, with 245's all around. I recently changed all 4, and suggested that to the tire people (who claim to be in the know, though I tend not to believe most people when it comes to cars and selling me stuff) but he scoffed at me and said it was nuts. I know some Prototype racers are doing it, and thought it might reduce understeer (I haven't been to the track with the F yet, but even on the street I sometimes notice it)

What was your experience. Your video seems like you had no understeer, but wondering if you noticed a difference.
Old 03-22-12, 11:02 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by wiredGS400
tire wise, with 245's all around. I recently changed all 4, and suggested that to the tire people (who claim to be in the know, though I tend not to believe most people when it comes to cars and selling me stuff) but he scoffed at me and said it was nuts. I know some Prototype racers are doing it, and thought it might reduce understeer (I haven't been to the track with the F yet, but even on the street I sometimes notice it)

What was your experience. Your video seems like you had no understeer, but wondering if you noticed a difference.
Yes my car is about as balanced as we could want at the moment but more of that is more from the suspension setup that purely tires. the car flops, settles and pushes through the corners with very little effort. The Rcomp tires are night and day from street tires though as I had just been getting up to speeds towards the end of our runs where I was able to noticeably break traction and float more in corners. The rear suspension geometry can make the car oversteer like crazy or feel like a mute steering feel all depending on the bump map and the amount of toe-in on compression, plus the time to settle in that spot in the suspension. I have no issues currently with a square setup but I am sure I will find the limits soon enough.

In other news we are pulling the trigger on 2-piece rotors and should have 5 sets in 4-6 weeks. They will be similar to these. Center mount hat and patented open-slot technology from our braking partner RB performance brakes.

Old 03-23-12, 08:30 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FIGS

In other news we are pulling the trigger on 2-piece rotors and should have 5 sets in 4-6 weeks. They will be similar to these. Center mount hat and patented open-slot technology from our braking partner RB performance brakes.

I WANT! I WANT! I WANT!
Old 03-28-12, 12:56 AM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by LBmtb
Make sure to let us know how it goes. I'm curious about your track comparisons of the F vs. the GT3.
Will try to do a side by side comparison video. Hope I get at least a couple of good sessions with the brakes holding up (am running stock pads).
Old 03-28-12, 12:59 AM
SSTHO
Rookie

OP/Lobux - do you guys leave the stability controls on or off on the track? I will try both, but what are your thoughts? I hate nannies, but the ones on the ISF are not very intrusive to me. Think it could be possible to be quicker with them on.
Old 03-28-12, 11:33 PM
Endgame
Driver

Heard about RB on the 370Z forum. Never pulled the trigger on them when I had my 370. Would love to hear your thoughts. As I understand, they should also significantly reduce weight.

Quick Reply: FIGS Track Day at HPR