IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

FIGS Track Day at HPR

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 07:04 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts
Default FIGS Track Day at HPR

Hi guys, just wanted to share a few vids and pics from our day at High Plains Raceway.

We decided to head out a little late to get good prep, mostly brake pads, but still had a good time. The car was great other then the HPS pads pooping out after 4 laps or so and the oil temps going critical several times restricting our lap cycles. The F is now sprung with Swift 16k/12k setup on the Penske shocks. The tires were Hankook Ventus Z214 in 245/40R18 sizes square on our Kosei single piece wheels.

This was out first time at this track and it was a great experience. With a passenger the typical lap times were about 2:15-2:16. Solo I was able to get down to 2:14 based on the video we took. Next time we will have transponders and of course fresh oil and high temp pads . Pretty cool to drive with GT3's a Viper ACR and of course plenty of vettes and imports. Our F held its own for sure and we had a small crowd around us just before we left. Not bad considering what else was out there.
I had an SD vid of the Viper that I will format and post later.

The car is fast and capable and some of the limitations were due to things like the lack of seat lateral support and brake bite that held us back. I think my new helmet is a bit tall as well, it was hard to find a spot where I was not banging the headliner arc haha.

Enjoy a few vids and pics.
Afterwards we had to stop at a corn silo that I spotted on the way in. It was a great day and perfect for an impromptu photoshoot. Enjoy

YOUTUBE
http://youtu.be/wSonb2t59IA

http://youtu.be/WDUmCfIS-P0

A few afterpics

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-19-12, 07:08 PM
redsvt02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks as if ya'll had an awesome time. Any more pics of the front of your car. Curious about the grille mod you have done. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-12, 07:41 PM
RichieISF
Rookie

Looks great mate.! love that Tundra! We don't get them here in Aussie.!

Your ISF looks the good.!

Richieisf
Old 03-19-12, 08:00 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Hmmm....i didnt know this car had an oil temp problem when racing...:/
Old 03-19-12, 08:05 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Hi guys, just wanted to share a few vids and pics from our day at High Plains Raceway.

We decided to head out a little late to get good prep, mostly brake pads, but still had a good time. The car was great other then the HPS pads pooping out after 4 laps or so and the oil temps going critical several times restricting our lap cycles.
Looked like a great time

And yea +1 on the oil temmps, thats a first time I've heard of that
Old 03-19-12, 08:37 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Looked like a great time

And yea +1 on the oil temmps, thats a first time I've heard of that
Yeah I was a bit surpised as well, but we were down 1 qt of oil, so perhaps it was a capacity cooling issue. Back straight was about 130 -140mph flat out.

Track details
We were running the full loop, so the whole outside.
http://www.highplainsraceway.com/
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 03-19-12, 08:49 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Looks like fun
Old 03-19-12, 09:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

My oil temp goes to one bar from the top when it's hot (over 100F) at CMP. Peak speed at CMP is 120 or so and it's only for a couple of seconds. Any other day, oil temp is two bars from the top. The engine could use more oil cooling capacity for the track.
Old 03-19-12, 09:33 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look hella fun.. lol..
Old 03-19-12, 10:08 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Great videos and pictures! I am tempted to track my 2010 F. Car is stock and will be on MPSS.

Anything to be careful of?
Old 03-19-12, 10:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

^nothing special. Bleed your brakes, run good brake pads, drive the car. Pretty much all there is. If the track is hard on brakes you'll crack your rotors, but it takes a long time for them to crack beyond limits.
Old 03-19-12, 11:00 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Great videos and pictures! I am tempted to track my 2010 F. Car is stock and will be on MPSS.

Anything to be careful of?
Go out with the slow group and learn the course first, or watch vids of faster people than you to learn the line and brake points. The important thing is to watch your gauges and also pay attention to the feedback you get from tires, brakes and steering. If things start to get loose just pull back and let others pass by. No shame in backing out if things do not feel right as long as you do it safely. Also, more importantly, get used to driving with a helmet on. I find I need to adjust to the lack of audio feedback and something closed in on my head .
Old 03-20-12, 08:25 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Nice! Looks like a fun track! Sorry to hear about the oil temp and brake pad probs...
Old 03-20-12, 12:30 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by FIGS
Go out with the slow group and learn the course first, or watch vids of faster people than you to learn the line and brake points. The important thing is to watch your gauges and also pay attention to the feedback you get from tires, brakes and steering. If things start to get loose just pull back and let others pass by. No shame in backing out if things do not feel right as long as you do it safely. Also, more importantly, get used to driving with a helmet on. I find I need to adjust to the lack of audio feedback and something closed in on my head .
Thanks - I am curious if I can get my helmet on and drive in a proper seating position. That will be a challenge I think. Yes, will keep an eye on gauges. I worry most about fading brakes and tire pressures.

Can you give me an idea of what PSI you keep your tires at (cold) and what is optimal (hot)?
Old 03-20-12, 12:36 PM
LBmtb
Driver

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Thanks - I am curious if I can get my helmet on and drive in a proper seating position. That will be a challenge I think. Yes, will keep an eye on gauges. I worry most about fading brakes and tire pressures.

Can you give me an idea of what PSI you keep your tires at (cold) and what is optimal (hot)?
Make sure to let us know how it goes. I'm curious about your track comparisons of the F vs. the GT3.

Quick Reply: FIGS Track Day at HPR