IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF wrecked on Mulholland

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 04:23 PM
scalum1994
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

The Snake is a highly technical piece of road with steep dropoffs, few guard rails and little room for error. Every weekend, there are one or two serious accidents, most of which are caused by vehicles crossing double yellow lines.

I'm glad there's more CHP presence up there now because of this. On the infamous curve leading up to the peak, if your rear wheels slide and cross the double yellow, you will get a citation. I know this because I ride the snake and see cars get pulled over all the time (everything from lambos and ferraris to hondas and toyotas). Remember, you're sharing the road with bicyclists as well, so if you can't control your speed, slow down. The person driving this IS-f might have avoided this if he/she had slowed down.
Old 03-21-12, 05:41 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm not going to call the driver reckless without knowing facts or assumptions.

I wonder if CHP is going to ticket the driver for front tinted windows? haha
Old 03-21-12, 06:09 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
Pushing the limits on this road doesn't look too reckless.. not sure what vids you were watching, but the curves are so tight, even the bikes are probably going close to the speed limit.

Unless youre on the road with Tanner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72hTSFkYVAo
That makes a lot of sense (NOT!), the tighter the road, the more reason for a driver to break the speed limit.

Tanner is a professional race car driver, and the video was shot on closed road - with CHP presence.

Anyway, sounds like you are in favor of people getting hurt/dying on this road. So let's just hope (in the event) one of your family happens to be on this road, she/he doesn't get hurt or worse killed by a fast driver. I don't mean to sound harsh (not my intention at all). I love racing (on track), and love fast cars even more. But when drivers start acting stu#pid with their (so called race cars) on public roads, I have no respect for that.

In regards to this wreck IS-F. I take it back...I don't know for fact if he was driving reckless. Who knows, maybe he was trying to avoid a car from hitting him head-on, and this was the result. Just glad he is ok, and no one was hurt or killed.
Old 03-21-12, 06:13 PM
LBmtb
Driver

Originally Posted by scalum1994
Remember, you're sharing the road with bicyclists as well, so if you can't control your speed, slow down.
What ^ said. I'm all up for some spirited driving on fun roads like Mulholland but driving at or near the limit on public roads is just asking for trouble. Be super careful around blind turns, near people, etc.

Get it out of your system at the track
Old 03-22-12, 07:34 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VIS250P
Good for him cuz he driving careless...
Are you really deaf? You expect us not to flame you when you make comments like this? Regardless of your impediments, if you don't have anything constructive to say, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself.
Old 03-22-12, 10:40 PM
scalum1994
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

from another forum:

Just to clear things up, the driver was a friend of mine and i was right behind him when he hit the rock (yes thats what he hit). We were going for a friday drive. On the way down, the first corner, his brakes locked under the stress of hard breaking and the slope of the hill, causing him to understeer into the rock, narrowly missing the drops on either side. He walked out and was completely fine aside from minor bruising on his face, the car on the other hand, wasn't (as you can see).

the guy must have going reallly fast if he had to brake around that corner!
Old 03-29-12, 06:50 AM
Heather558
Driver

Damn! The interior looks to be in good shape so that is peace of mind I guess. I assume this person had their seat belt on? Can anyone drive without it and listen to the damn beeping? I can't.
Old 03-30-12, 03:49 AM
cdubb883
Driver

Sorry to see this... hope everyone is doing fine... Now on to business, what parts are for sale??
Old 03-30-12, 06:05 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

from another forum:

Just to clear things up, the driver was a friend of mine and i was right behind him when he hit the rock (yes thats what he hit). We were going for a friday drive. On the way down, the first corner, his brakes locked under the stress of hard breaking and the slope of the hill, causing him to understeer into the rock, narrowly missing the drops on either side. He walked out and was completely fine aside from minor bruising on his face, the car on the other hand, wasn't (as you can see).

Thats why they teach you when you begin driving on the track: "slow in, fast out" for turns...if you are trying to trail brake it might already be too late.
Old 03-30-12, 06:48 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geez sounds like everybody here has their period ....

The guy took a corner too fast and smashed the rock.......thats it......nothing more.......
Old 03-30-12, 07:46 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

The Snake is a highly technical piece of road with steep dropoffs, few guard rails and little room for error. Every weekend, there are one or two serious accidents, most of which are caused by vehicles crossing double yellow lines.

I'm glad there's more CHP presence up there now because of this. On the infamous curve leading up to the peak, if your rear wheels slide and cross the double yellow, you will get a citation. I know this because I ride the snake and see cars get pulled over all the time (everything from lambos and ferraris to hondas and toyotas). Remember, you're sharing the road with bicyclists as well, so if you can't control your speed, slow down. The person driving this IS-f might have avoided this if he/she had slowed down.
Nice to see another fellow cyclist on the road out there. From the first post i knew this was near the rock store. I have ridden and driven that section many times, clearly the f was traveling beyond it,s handling point and the driver lost control.
Old 04-03-12, 09:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

from another forum:

That's such a load of crap it doesn't bear repeating. You CAN'T lock the brakes on the F. You can drive like a complete idiot and make it understeer really easily, AMHIK. So, it wasn't locked brakes or even too much speed, it was DRIVER ERROR. If the driver actually knew how to control understeer, he'd probably never ended up with a jacked up car. Seriously. If incompetence were painful, Tylenol would sell out at the store.
Old 04-03-12, 10:10 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was over there this past weekend and saw a street bike and a car sideswipe each other on a real tight 270 degree turn... Luckily the bike guy was good but bike was F'd up!

I had a few close calls with some bike guys in the corners that day too.... They take the turns too fast on the outside and came lose to clipping me.

I also saw Leno up there with a 1917 fiat botafago race car
Old 11-11-12, 01:10 PM
Adam350is
Pole Position

poor isf and driver

i drive this road nearly everyday. its really fun but its tight and i always watch my speed. never really go over 40 mph. to be honest i really dont see much CHP (california highway patrol) out there or even police. as long as people dont be idiots on it we will all enjoy it. if this **** happens more there will put up more officers and even speed cameras perhaps..
Old 11-11-12, 03:28 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ I drive it all the time as well - nuthin like hitting Malibu from the 101 on Mulholland. More CHP, maybe?? but the bulk of CHP in that area are on the 101 and PCH, they use Mulholland to transit from one area to the next. I doubt there will ever be speed cameras that would be used to issue a citation, LA County has a tough enough battle with red light cameras which they stopped using in March.

Quick Reply: ISF wrecked on Mulholland