IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

CEL... there, now gone.... ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 11:19 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL... there, now gone.... ?

Hey guys, just wanted your opinion... I was driving today and had a CEL and the ?traction control light came on today... took it to the local shop that installed my cats into my joe Z exhaust several months ago (also have PPE headers btw) Error code was "Slow response, bank 1, sensor 2" He stated it was related to the secondary O2 sensors and recommended replacement.... Anyway I drove the car home (15 miles) to pick up the O2 sensors to have him install them that I have on hand (long story) and the CEL light never came back on..... So what should I do? just wait to see if it happens again or go ahead and swap them out? Some of you may remember that I had a terrible time getting the CEL gone after header install due to: 1.) wiring to O2 sensor being melted after touching header and 2.) blown fuse relating to #1. He said all wiring looked good and if it was a fuse again I think it would have immediately returned....
Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-12, 05:30 AM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will come back, its going to go in and out until you replace it. If you have the part already, just replace it.
Old 03-30-12, 07:11 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound like your 02 sensors is going bad,
Old 03-30-12, 07:31 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

ERDoc, if I were you and already had the sensors in hand I would go ahead and just replace them. If the CEL came on before it will most likely come back eventually and it would just be frustrating.

On a slightly different note, can someone tell me the difference between how PPE works to prevent the CEL from coming on vs Sikky's Electronic Simulator? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen or I don't remember seeing any posts about the CEL coming on from those with the Sikky setup.

Just a question I'm throwing out there so please don't reply with responses that could turn this thread into another header debate. Thanks!

Last edited by caymandive; 03-30-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-30-12, 03:45 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
ERDoc, if I were you and already had the sensors in hand I would go ahead and just replace them. If the CEL came on before it will most likely come back eventually and it would just be frustrating.

On a slightly different note, can someone tell me the difference between how PPE works to prevent the CEL from coming on vs Sikky's Electronic Simulator? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen or I don't remember seeing any posts about the CEL coming on from those with the Sikky setup.

Just a question I'm throwing out there so please don't reply with responses that could turn this thread into another header debate. Thanks!
thanks everybody for the advice... I'll definitely replace it asap.... does anybody know if sensor 2 is the driver's side or passenger side sensor..??

Regarding your question about sikky vs PPE O2 sensor work arounds.... (obviously i'm no expert) but when I had all my CEL probs long ago and I was talking to Paul at PPE, he explained to me that the Sikky solution is an O2 simulator that "creates a completely made up O2 reading that is not based in any way on the actual O2 sensor reading" that is sent to trick the ECU... vs the PPE design which he said is an "O2 Conditioner" which is different in that it takes the actual O2 sensor reading and "applies a correction factor" and then sends that to the ECU....
Now if one design is better than the other, that's a question for someone smarter than me in this area for sure!
Old 03-30-12, 03:57 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sensor 2 is the designation for the second, usually rear sensor. Bank 1 or Bank 2 will determin what side of the motor it's on. Bank 1 is always the side of the motor where cylinder #1 is.
Old 03-30-12, 04:15 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
thanks everybody for the advice... I'll definitely replace it asap.... does anybody know if sensor 2 is the driver's side or passenger side sensor..??

Regarding your question about sikky vs PPE O2 sensor work arounds.... (obviously i'm no expert) but when I had all my CEL probs long ago and I was talking to Paul at PPE, he explained to me that the Sikky solution is an O2 simulator that "creates a completely made up O2 reading that is not based in any way on the actual O2 sensor reading" that is sent to trick the ECU... vs the PPE design which he said is an "O2 Conditioner" which is different in that it takes the actual O2 sensor reading and "applies a correction factor" and then sends that to the ECU....
Now if one design is better than the other, that's a question for someone smarter than me in this area for sure!
Is the electronic conditioner that PPE uses also wired into the fuse box? As far as which one is better both headers seem to be making similar power, so I don't see much difference in the O2 sensor readings. The only difference I have noticed is those with the conditioner are experiencing more CEL's. Maybe the Sikky simulator is simulating so well I won't realize I have bad sensors until I remove it?
Old 03-30-12, 04:46 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bank 1 is drivers side rear. I just had this exact same issue except bank 2 sensor 2.
Old 03-30-12, 04:55 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Mostly happened to those owners from midwest and eastcoast, northwest too, due to snow condition , salt , rain bad weathers over the years, taken tolled to the sensors ? May just custom made some cover to cover those sensors that would be a solution ? O . Good luck
Old 03-30-12, 07:49 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Is the electronic conditioner that PPE uses also wired into the fuse box? As far as which one is better both headers seem to be making similar power, so I don't see much difference in the O2 sensor readings. The only difference I have noticed is those with the conditioner are experiencing more CEL's. Maybe the Sikky simulator is simulating so well I won't realize I have bad sensors until I remove it?
Yes

It is my understanding the both Sikky and PPE use the same o2 simulator. Though I don't know for sure because the sim itself is an underground product and it has no markings. You have to know someone who knows someone to get to the manufacturer. I have PPEs with the sim and have had Zero Problems since it's installation.

Lou
Old 04-11-12, 10:09 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Yes

It is my understanding the both Sikky and PPE use the same o2 simulator. Though I don't know for sure because the sim itself is an underground product and it has no markings. You have to know someone who knows someone to get to the manufacturer. I have PPEs with the sim and have had Zero Problems since it's installation.

Lou
Sorry for the late reply, but better late than never for clarification on this topic.

The Sim that comes with the Sikky headers is an authentic in-house made product and does not come from the underground. Someone may have however got hold of a Sikky unit and managed to reverse engineer the thing and started making their own, but it wouldnt' have been without some serious work as the chip is encased in hardened resin.

Having one of the original prototype Sims on my car, I am comfortable in saying that Sikky has indeed designed their own Simulator and does not rely on the same underground product that PPE uses.
Old 04-11-12, 11:48 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only difference I have noticed is those with the conditioner are experiencing more CEL's. Maybe the Sikky simulator is simulating so well I won't realize I have bad sensors until I remove it?
I've noticed this aswell. It seems like everybody that has installed the PPE header lately has been having numerous cell problems. Which kinda sux cause I do like the craftsmanship of the PPE better but it looks like imma go with Sikky

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Mostly happened to those owners from midwest and eastcoast, northwest too, due to snow condition , salt , rain bad weathers over the years, taken tolled to the sensors ? May just custom made some cover to cover those sensors that would be a solution ? O . Good luck
Liquid tape that sucka! Naw it looks like that area gets crazy hot
Old 04-13-12, 10:42 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Well I haven't had time to get the O2 sensor changed in the last 2 weeks, but lots of driving (including the track a couple of days ago) and no return of the CEL....
will keep my fingers crossed for now, but if it does, will swap it out!
Old 04-13-12, 11:36 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Having one of the original prototype Sims on my car, I am comfortable in saying that Sikky has indeed designed their own Simulator and does not rely on the same underground product that PPE uses.
You are indeed correct. After I made my above incorrect statement, I checked further, and indeed the o2 simulators used by PPE and Sikky are indeed different Sorry for the misinformation

However, the operating principle is the same.

Lou
Old 05-10-12, 09:44 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

CEL came back again yesterday after half way home from another track day... will get the code checked and if same code, will get O2 sensor replaced.

Quick Reply: CEL... there, now gone.... ?