IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Super Sports = Traction!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 11:00 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the PS2's stock. Replaced them with the PSS, stock sizing, after about 30k on the PS2.

Dry traction... There's still slippage when u gun it which is to be expected with this beast... no TC blinking on simple slow turns as I could recall with the PS2... But cornering is great as with the PS2 on curves...

Wet traction is great also... But I would expect with any new tire that would be the case...

I have probably put only 1k miles on them...

As far as the RE11, spec wise, they look great for traction but the wear rating is ridiculously low for my purposes of DD... But I've never tried them... Just my 2 Pennies...

U will find good reviews of the Conti DW on the forums... Latest testing on tirerack shows they came in 3rd as the PSS was 1st or 2nd, can't recall exactly...
Old 04-05-12, 11:07 AM
Linkseal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKweezy
As far as the RE11, spec wise, they look great for traction but the wear rating is ridiculously low for my purposes of DD... But I've never tried them...
I never compare wear ratings within different brands, it is inaccurate.

I DDed and tracked RE01R few times before and they seem to never wear out.

What I can point out is RE01R 180AA > PS2 220AA.
Old 04-05-12, 11:07 AM
LBmtb
Driver

Can't wait to read your GT3 / ISF track comparison. Also curious about alignment specs. Should I look at the huge alignment thread for info? I'm not due for tires yet but all this wil come in handy at some point.
Old 04-05-12, 11:09 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I still have plenty of tread and I do have a heavy foot at the traffic lights etc. I should be able to get 25,000 to 30,000 out of these at this rate. Once they heat up that are very sticky.
Old 04-05-12, 11:27 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JKweezy
As far as the RE11, spec wise, they look great for traction but the wear rating is ridiculously low for my purposes of DD... But I've never tried them... Just my 2 Pennies...
OEM Bridgestone RE050A 140AA vs Bridgestone RE11 180AA.
Old 04-05-12, 02:41 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexyISF
Haha never looked at the specs of the RE050A as most have said they aren't great compared to other tires... And I know wear ratings are manufacturer specific within their lineup...

My friend with an STI recommended RE11 but said they wear out pretty quick so I guess I based it off of that.

My PS2 lasted for 30k and the PSS are supposed to last even longer so that's why I stayed with the michelins...
Old 04-05-12, 11:41 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

I'm a long way off, but I'll be replacing my Bridgestone RE050A's with most likely the Michelin PSS, being a daily driver only. Just the weight savings alone should be a great performance increase! Even if I upsized to 245/275, they'd still be lighter than my OEM set up.
No - I kept the stock sizes and didn't upsize. My wife wants me to stop messing with her car. We both know I'll start modding performance due to curiosity.
Old 04-05-12, 11:43 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
I keep hearing they are closed down at the track d/t drainage issues?
Nope - I'm at the Shelton Inn now with the GT3 and my wife will be joining me with the ISF tomorrow. I'll have a chance to drive both. I just hope the weather holds up!
Old 04-05-12, 11:51 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by Linkseal
Have been using the PSS 245/275 for about 5000km to replaced only 5000km used OEM PS2, here is my thought:

1. Tire Wear - PSS > PS2
2. Quietness - PSS = or > PS2
3. Dry Traction - PSS < PS2
4. Wet Traction - PSS > PS2
5. Value - PSS > PS2

Will I buy PSS again? Probably not, for street tires I know what RE11 can hold up to, I want better dry traction,
I want a bit stiffer sidewall, and I can trade off some quietness and weight saving to RE11 next.

2nd gear under WOT will be a bit fish tailing, and yes tires are warmed up on dry road, Traction control is off,
sorry but I think PSS traction is not good enough for me, but it is still one of the best value/performance summer tires I used for all around purpose.

- Link
Thanks or the review. It's early for me yet, but I completely agree with your assessment. However, I've never had SS & PS2's on the same car to have an apples to apples comparison.

I am running RE11's on my GT3 and love them. I used to run MPS Cups before. The RE11's wet grip is overly superior (MSPC's are death in any moisture) and the dry grip is slightly less than the MPSC's. More tread depth and longer life for RE11's along with a stellar price make this tire a winner.

The RE11's over 38psi are everywhere (wrt to the GT3). I started with 24psi cold and got to 38psi at the last event (matched up well with the 997 GT2 on MPSC' for 3 laps before tire pressure ballooned).
Old 04-05-12, 11:55 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by LBmtb
Can't wait to read your GT3 / ISF track comparison. Also curious about alignment specs. Should I look at the huge alignment thread for info? I'm not due for tires yet but all this wil come in handy at some point.
Search for lobuxracer's alignment thread. I went with a more conservative than OEM alignment recommendation (lobuxracer's specs). Managing for tire wear > gains from a more aggressive alignment.

I am still super impressed with the MPSS (or maybe just dismally disappointed at the MPS1's).
Old 04-05-12, 11:59 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

OMG - OEM for ISF had MPS1's and RE050's?! I mean seriously, wtf.

You almost made me feel better for having MPS1's as OEM for a second...

With a car as demanding as the ISF, having these POS as OEM spec is a crime!
Old 04-06-12, 01:49 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Versus Bridgestone Potenza: My '12 came with the Potenzas. They are reasonably sticky, the car handles well with high speed corning, etc.

I am curious if anyone has had the opportunity to compare the two tire options.
My '08 came with the RE050A and I replaced them with RE-11s. My '11 came with PS2s. It's not exactly fair to compare tires between the '08 and '11 since there were many modifications (LSD, suspension, steering ECU can all impact perception of the tires), but I'm not that happy with the PS2s. I think the RE050A had better dry grip and at least similar wet grip. The PS2 wet grip is pretty bad; not exactly confidence-inspiring.The PS2s might be a little quieter than the RE050As were.

The RE-11 is substantially better than either. Runs quieter, better dry grip, and much much better wet grip. Wouldn't hesitate to switch to these again on my '11 when I need to.
Old 04-06-12, 06:48 AM
TokyoF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 came with Potenza's that lasted 30,000 with the fronts wearing first on the inside of both. Went with Hankook Ventus V12's and have never been happier!
Old 04-06-12, 09:08 AM
Linkseal
Driver

Originally Posted by SSTHO
The RE11's wet grip is overly superior (MSPC's are death in any moisture) and the dry grip is slightly less than the MPSC's. More tread depth and longer life for RE11's along with a stellar price make this tire a winner.
Thanks for pointing this out, I mean you and I know what weather like in Vancity here, "OK" wet traction is a must and I can say the PSS failed on this but would love to check out RE11 next round.

RE01R was not bad on wet at all but I had AWD before and I assume RE11 should be better.
Old 04-06-12, 09:09 AM
Linkseal
Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
The RE-11 is substantially better than either. Runs quieter, better dry grip, and much much better wet grip. Wouldn't hesitate to switch to these again on my '11 when I need to.
Really? Wait for 5000km I bet RE-11 will be noisier

Quick Reply: Super Sports = Traction!