Need a tune for the ISF

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 09:39 AM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need a tune for the ISF

Hey Guys

Who does DME remapping for the ISF? I need to help two of my friends. Cars are both white 08 US Spec ISFs with intake, headers and exhaust. Thanks.
Old 04-07-12, 04:16 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

there is no tuning available for the isf... it tunes itself with basic bolt ons
Old 04-07-12, 11:34 PM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darbs242
there is no tuning available for the isf... it tunes itself with basic bolt ons
Hhhmmm interesting. I am in the German car scene so Im a bit unfamiliar with this. So even for people who install NOS there is no tune needed?
Old 04-08-12, 01:11 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

It is not there is no tune needed but that there is no tune possible on the Toyota ECM. The only possibility is a piggy-back ECU
The Toyota ECM has a wide mapping range and an auto learning mode soo it adapts itself to the changes induced by a peripheral change
Old 04-08-12, 09:15 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFBHR
So even for people who install NOS there is no tune needed?
There are a few members running 100-150 wet shot and up to 225 direct port without any problems. I have all the bolt ons and have personally gone threw at least 10 tanks with no problems.
Old 04-08-12, 09:53 AM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

There are a few members running 100-150 wet shot and up to 225 direct port without any problems. I have all the bolt ons and have personally gone threw at least 10 tanks with no problems.
Thanks for the info Bud. After doing a lot of research I understand this better. Thanks to you guys
Old 04-09-12, 06:08 AM
madastep
Pole Position

yea i have exhaust headers and intake, and dyno'd a week ago and A/F ratio was spot on. Was kinda funny to hear the guy behind me say "Yea your car is Tuned nicely"
Old 04-09-12, 06:10 AM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

Nice, My ISF is bone stock. Im modding my friends car and I'll post a new thread on his car in a few days as the Vossen CV3s have been delayed to the end of the month
Old 04-09-12, 01:25 PM
RobPR
Rookie

What if you got an AEM F I/C and tune it, will the ECU de-tune the car to original specs? I read somewhere that this could be done but the F I/C had to be modified for it to work in the ISF, is this true? Does anyone knows what this mod is?

I have a '11 ISF with Intake/header/exhaust mods but when I went to the dyno my car is running super rich. I f I can install an F I/C i bet I can get a few more HP out of leaning out the car from 4,500 rpm on.
Old 06-01-12, 12:49 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you have to realize that the stock ECU has a mapping that pretty much scales until it would hit something like fuel cut.

Like turbo tuners have found by turning up the boost on Karman vortex cars you hit FCO or on MAP based systems.

For the flapper I'm sure there is a point when it hits enough resistance that your map will be out of wack and adding a 100-150 shot is pretty much going to turn that 11.0 A/F (stock usually very rich) to a 12.0 since it's #1 fueling for that extra air on the map but also the drop in 1.0 A/F is due to the nitrous being more dense and efficient than just plain air.
Old 06-01-12, 02:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Nitrous isn't more dense or more efficient. It puts more oxygen in the cylinder. That's why it's N2O. By volume when the N2 splits from the oxygen, you've got 16% more oxygen than standard air.

And what's all this Karmann and flapper talk? Toyota hasn't used that technology since the 7MG-GTE.

There's no fuel cut on the MAF table, there's the upper right cell value. The ECM doesn't go into limp if you exceed the maximum MAF metering, it just goes max pulsewidth on the injectors and keeps going because you're in open loop anyway. The ECM has no idea what is going on from a fueling perspective as soon as you exceed 78% throttle.
Old 06-01-12, 02:27 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Nitrous isn't more dense or more efficient. It puts more oxygen in the cylinder. That's why it's N2O. By volume when the N2 splits from the oxygen, you've got 16% more oxygen than standard air.

And what's all this Karmann and flapper talk? Toyota hasn't used that technology since the 7MG-GTE.

There's no fuel cut on the MAF table, there's the upper right cell value. The ECM doesn't go into limp if you exceed the maximum MAF metering, it just goes max pulsewidth on the injectors and keeps going because you're in open loop anyway. The ECM has no idea what is going on from a fueling perspective as soon as you exceed 78% throttle.
Should have been more clear... You have a denser air charge after the air meter because nitrous is colder than ambiant unless you live in the arctic. This chills the exsisting air making it more dense so you can have more air in the cylinder, then of course nitrous is an oxidizer which is the main source for more power. Yes the system wouldn't know how to handle the N20 normally which is why you get a wet system unless these guys are running 150 dry shots then I'll scratch my head.

Karman vortex's where used in USDM mk4's along with a map sensor, and flappers where on mk4 NA's as well. Also Karman vortex's where on the Lexus V8 engines like the 1uz ect.

What do you the ecu has no idea of what is going on? There is a set map that it will follow which is usually built to 20-30 more than factory should ever see... Hence why you can go from 7 PSI to 12 psi and from 10 to 14 on a BPU mk4 before you hit FCO. There may not be a fuel cut but there is definitively an end to the fueling map where it just basically says put this much gas in form here on out. If you add more power after that point it's up to you to figure out some way to dail in more fuel and muck with timing ect.. Usually where piggybacks can also help like the emanage ultimate.
Old 06-03-12, 06:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Nitrogen can't be an oxidizer. It's the oxygen that does the oxidizing.

The MkIV Supra turbos all used a hot wire MAF for air metering. The turbo pressure sensor was not used for fuel at all, but did provide data for timing maps. See the article Dave Ruder and I wrote on the GReddy BCC at www.mkiv.com from 1998. I know a little bit about Supras, especially turbo Supras. There was no Karmann Vortex MAF on any US model 2JZ-GTE.

The ECM has no clue what is going on from an air fuel feedback perspective as soon as you go open loop at 78% throttle. All it knows is MAF and rpm in any US model. JDM ECMs use MAP and a VE table, none of the US cars do this. That's why you can tell your FIC or eManage (or MAP ECU) to ignore trimming fuel under 78% throttle because the O2 sensor is just going to trim to target values and change ST and LT corrections anyway.
Old 06-04-12, 05:05 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Err my bad karman vortex's not in the mk4 your right. must have been high when I was writing that. On the lexus's they are karman... The JDM's had a MAP sensor (had one until about 6 months ago) and still have my mk3. Also had an aristo. Very easy to tune and with an eman... Anyways, I though it was more than just a static TPS value to make it go in to oepn loop? More like RPM ,TPS ect, because I know when I was tuning at WOT, if I was under about 4k no matter what I did to the fuel table it didn't do much.
Old 06-04-12, 09:06 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a a/f gauge in the car? Have you seen those numbers while juicing?

Quick Reply: Need a tune for the ISF