IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

High mileage IS-F??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 08:25 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring the car to Lexus to get it pre-check before buying. Also hat's too much for a 145k mile car. Pay the extra 4-5 K and get a car with 50k miles.
Old 04-08-12, 08:55 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Its a yes and no for me buddy. I got mine with 23k and now at 56k almost two yrs later. Car will keep a high value, but a counter offer and u can get it for cheaper. It is a toyota, they go forever!!!! Its a fun car, nowhere near a 350, good luck, stick around and you may get a better deal
Old 04-09-12, 09:54 AM
vintage
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Isf

I sold cars for Lexus for years until about 12 years ago. I've had 5 Lexus vehicles including :
SC400 which I restored
IS300 which I bought at a repo yard for $4k with 198K on it. I sold it to a buddy of mine after new brakes and some cleaning......he drives it all over the country today to travel to construction jobs with no problems. Now let me say currently it needs a heater core but does that really surprise you?
98 Lexus GS400
06 Lexus IS350 traded it for the F
Currently 2008 ISF which had 16k miles when purchased and currently has 66k on it.
Now that doeswn't make me an expert but I'm getting warm for your particular question.
Bottom line you already discovered that it isn't Certified by Lexus. Biggest concern is has it been serviced? Brakes have good rotors and pads? Plugs been changed at least twice and preferrably three times since new. Clean Car Fax as far as salvage title and / or wrecked?
Tire condition? Windshield condition? Has the transmission been serviced fully at 90k-100K?
The transmission service alone is quite expensive. It has to be serviced with an expensive fluid which is synthetic. Does it have a factory air box on it?
The front bumper prob needs to be repainted and refreshed....not that much money...maybe change the fog surrounds which are plastic and like $26.00 a piece. How are the headlight covers? You said the wheels are curbed. They can literally be repaired on the car at a Lexus dealer through one of their vendors. Prob around $170.00 a wheel.
Turn the front wheels after starting the car.....is the inside tread ok or getting worn?
Is the car stock? Does it have both remotes? Bet it doesn't....does it have the manuals? Has it been lowered? if so expect premature tire wear in the front on the inside.
What kind of tires does it have? Correct sizes? Does it have any door dings? Personally those take $500.00 a piece from the value in my mind. If there are some dings....is the paint chipped in that spot? Not good.
Is it really clean inside and under the hood from the dealer detailing it or just pretty clean from the way the traded for the car? If it hasn't been detailed take a long slow journey around it opening the doors and every "porthole" on it. If it has had a "dirty life" and you take your time you will see filth that has stacked up over time in cracks and areas under the hood, trunk and doors.
If it hasn't been cleaned very well chances are it hasn't been serviced properly either. There are always exceptions to the rule but I would give that a 95% on accuracy.
So bottom line: Add up everything you don't like about it. All of it. How much will that cost to repair? Will the car then be like you want it? Now go back and add up what you forgot to add....yes you missed something. Now how much is that number?
I will bet on the engine if it sounds good and has been serviced. The transmissions on these cars are built for abuse. If the fluid has been changed PROPERLY WITH CORRECT FLUID I will bet on it also after driving it. Have the dealer put it on the rack for you to examine underneath.....be sure to do this and take your time and look carefully with a mechanic friend.
If you can live with the items fixed and it isn't over about $2,000.00 to get there.....maybe consider it if it is a good color.
Now for the price.......low $20's period! Then sink $2k in it and make it beautiful. When you freshen that bumper with new paint and fix the curb damage on the wheels.....dramatic improvement. However the car needs to be sound. If they are unwilling to assist you then WALK. They don't care and are looking for an easy target on the car and they will find one once they drive it.

Best of luck
Vintage
Old 04-09-12, 04:45 PM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That car would have had to been in perfect condition and even then $27,000 for a car with that many miles? No thanks. I have an 08 IS350 that I purchased about 6 months ago for $29,000 and it had 22,000 miles on it and was very clean. As much as I would love to jump into an ISF, not for that amount of money and with those miles. Just my opinion.
Old 04-09-12, 05:30 PM
weziebme
Rookie

thanks for all the replies guys, you all have been very helpful and have brought up very good points for and against the purchase.
I may call them tomorrow and see what they may offer on trade for the IS350 and then go from there!

Thanks again.
Old 04-09-12, 05:35 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

LMAO.

I would not do it.