IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Electronic LSD in 08 ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 04:34 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic LSD in 08 ISF?

Short version of the long story....I mentioned something to my service advisor about the electronic LSD in my 08 ISF at the beginning of my last service visit. To my surprise, when I got my copy of the service record, the service technician indicated that my car did not have an electronic LSD. This confused me since I've read countless threads on this forum that the 08's and 09's have an electronic LSD rather than a mechanical LSD.

So after a couple of calls to the dealership, I got a call from one of the senior service technicians. He told me that the 08 ISF does indeed have a "mechanical limited slip differential". I've pasted my email and his response below to ensure that I'm not losing anything in translation. Am I missing something????

(His Email Response) --->
its a mechanical Limited Slip Differential

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(My Original Email) --->
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2012 12:47 PM
To:
Subject: Fw: A new 4 page fax has arrived from

Hi Pat,

I took a look at the fax you sent and it shows detailed images of a rear differential, but I'm not sure it clears anything up for me. My issue was whether or not the 08 ISF had a true mechanical LSD or an electronic LSD. I believe you said that the 08 ISF did not have an electronic LSD (which contradicts what I've read). Are you telling me that the faxed images represent a mechanical Limited Slip Differential in an '08 ISF?

Sorry if I'm being redundant, but I'm just trying to make sure I understand you.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 04-09-12, 04:50 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

that tech is a moron and i wouldnt take my car to him
Old 04-09-12, 05:15 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Wow, every Lexus dealership needs to have an "F" Champion, who is supposed to be the only ones who work on these cars. They are sent to special schools and train only for that vehicle.

The 08/09 IS-F have an electronic limited slip differential (it uses the brakes to force power to the other wheel..and it works very well).

The 10+ IS-F Models have a mechanical limited slip differential as well as the electronic limited slip differential in place.
Old 04-12-12, 03:49 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Wow, every Lexus dealership needs to have an "F" Champion, who is supposed to be the only ones who work on these cars. They are sent to special schools and train only for that vehicle.

The 08/09 IS-F have an electronic limited slip differential (it uses the brakes to force power to the other wheel..and it works very well).

The 10+ IS-F Models have a mechanical limited slip differential as well as the electronic limited slip differential in place.
Just for kicks, I called 1-800-25-LEXUS this afternoon and asked them about this. The customer service rep of course confirmed that the "senior service technician" was incorrect about the LSD. Lexus Corporate also agreed to call and inform the dealership/technician that the information they provided was completely incorrect.
Old 04-12-12, 05:49 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay far...far away
Old 04-12-12, 05:54 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Stay far...far away
Sho nuff..... there's a different Lexus dealership about 6 blocks away from my office. Should have gone there from the get go.
Old 04-12-12, 07:19 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been considering the swap to a os giken lsd for months... I really want it between the strip and the circuit I think it would make a huge difference... But it's a pretty good chunk of change.... Has anyone else made the leap into one yet?
Old 04-12-12, 07:52 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
I have been considering the swap to a os giken lsd for months... I really want it between the strip and the circuit I think it would make a huge difference... But it's a pretty good chunk of change.... Has anyone else made the leap into one yet?
Circuit maybe but I have yet to pull a one legger with the ELSD.

Lobux was talking about a cheaper unit out there.

~Dv8
Old 06-01-12, 01:13 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm very close to pulling the trigger on the OSG.. I can't stand 1 wheel burn the car is ZERO fun because of it. I also wish the car reved to 8k or I could get a ECU upgrade to allow to rev to 8k... It's needed in first and 2nd gear IMO and I'm 99% sure the engine will not float a valve or throw a rod. I believe this engine actually can spin alot higher then it's set and that extra RPM would be good in lower gears where I need that .5 of a second longer to stay in that gear when the tail end is kicking out!
Old 06-01-12, 02:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Mean piston speed would be way past Toyota's 20m/sec design parameter and would severely limit long term reliability.
Old 06-01-12, 02:49 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Mean piston speed would be way past Toyota's 20m/sec design parameter and would severely limit long term reliability.
No doubt, but that is if you are keeping the car as a DD

That is also if you are ***** to the wall all the time. I mean once in a while it will hurt but, it's like turning the boost up on the stock twins... They will last but for how long right? If 1 year at 18 PSI is good for you then all good... If you are looking for 10 years @ 18 psi well ain't gonna happen.
Old 06-01-12, 06:38 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Has anyone read the documentation on the 08-09 differential?

From the Lexus Tech Manual I have, it seems that the 08-09 differentials have small springs in them to preload the diff to help with "slippery" starts. (I am assuming it is a very weak type of limited slip differential).

I have no problem getting the car sideways from a turn, you just need to be aware that when you get on it, the inside wheel will spin until the "eLSD" kicks in and brakes the spinning wheel, pulling the car around.

Its works and works well, however it is not the same behavior as my other RWD V8 Cars with true Limited Slip (I've only had the spring/clutch type..never gear type)

Trying to do a break torque burnout can lead to a one wheel spin...but if you get the car sideways at speed it will get sideways and leave two black marks no problem.

Old 06-01-12, 06:40 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by zazzn
i'm very close to pulling the trigger on the OSG.. I can't stand 1 wheel burn the car is ZERO fun because of it. I also wish the car reved to 8k or I could get a ECU upgrade to allow to rev to 8k... It's needed in first and 2nd gear IMO and I'm 99% sure the engine will not float a valve or throw a rod. I believe this engine actually can spin alot higher then it's set and that extra RPM would be good in lower gears where I need that .5 of a second longer to stay in that gear when the tail end is kicking out!
You just need a car that makes its peak torque lower in the RPM band :P
Old 06-03-12, 06:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Has anyone read the documentation on the 08-09 differential?

From the Lexus Tech Manual I have, it seems that the 08-09 differentials have small springs in them to preload the diff to help with "slippery" starts. (I am assuming it is a very weak type of limited slip differential)...
This is true for all the 2IS differentials and has been since they were introduced in MY 2006. These conical springs are like a Phantom Grip device in their function.