IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Caliper Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 11:26 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Paint Question

I'm in the process of taking my car in to get my calipers professionally painted at a bodyshop. When the calipers are removed I assume they need to bleed the brakes. I am not too sure on how this process works but curious if and when this takes place does the brake fluid need to be changed, drained, flushed, or re-filled? Also, does it have to be OEM fluid or can it be any generic 'approved' fluid.

Please advise
Thanks
Old 04-12-12, 12:06 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The manual has in it to service the brake fluid every 30,000 miles. But the rule of thumb is to do it based on time, every 2 years. (Unless you race, then do it sooner). IMO, if you're close to 2 years or 30,000 miles, I'd do a full flush, especially since they'll have it all apart and easily accessible. You can use any DOT 3 brake fluid.
Old 04-12-12, 04:43 PM
TokyoF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

click search...
Old 04-12-12, 04:48 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

GTFO my thread if you have no valuable inputs!! The questions you have specifically asked on another thread has been asked on various occasions. In your specific situation, search is your best friend. I posted a thread because AFTER using the search function I still came up short.
Originally Posted by TokyoF
click search...
Old 04-12-12, 04:53 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Motul rbf600 , u need 2 bottle of 500ml , enough... , u can also up grade to braided stainless brake lines from stoptech aslo...
Old 04-12-12, 04:55 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

What is required? Drain, flush, bleed, or re-fill?
Originally Posted by blitz_714
Motul rbf600 , u need 2 bottle of 500ml , enough... , u can also up grade to braided stainless brake lines from stoptech aslo...
Old 04-12-12, 05:32 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I just had mine done and they replaced it but not sure the brand.. Sorry no help with that but what color are you going with as I just got mine painted about three weeks ago. They look fantastic in my opinion.
Old 04-12-12, 05:40 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
What is required? Drain, flush, bleed, or re-fill?
Required is just to top off the reservoir. But like they said if you're coming up on the required time to flush then just do it then
Old 04-12-12, 06:24 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

I'm getting mine done 'brembo yellow' if such color exists but most of you know what color im referring to. I'm also painting my roof matte gray.. Can wait to see the final outcome.
Originally Posted by ISFSteve
I just had mine done and they replaced it but not sure the brand.. Sorry no help with that but what color are you going with as I just got mine painted about three weeks ago. They look fantastic in my opinion.
Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Required is just to top off the reservoir. But like they said if you're coming up on the required time to flush then just do it then
My 08 is only @25K miles but idk if my shop will wanna go the extra mile to flush and replace the fluid so I think I'll just wait another 5K miles.
Old 04-12-12, 08:37 PM
TokyoF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Mods need to ban this guy, the tit for tat mentality is detrimental to other people on this forum
I've been a member in here for five years, had one of the original F's on the east coast....so let's just get that straight before the "OG" members since last April start making claims and calling people out to be banned for absolutely no reason.
Old 04-12-12, 08:57 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some times I just hate the stuff that goes down on forums. It's so petty and tough guy behind the key board. Over the 15 years I've been in the car business and tunning scene I have found that the loud people online are always the backdrop in person.
I say just help the guy out or go on to the next thread. Isn't that what these forums are for...to make friends and help people...not fight and turn people off to forums???

Originally Posted by TokyoF
I've been a member in here for five years, had one of the original F's on the east coast....so let's just get that straight before the "OG" members since last April start making claims and calling people out to be banned for absolutely no reason.
Old 04-12-12, 09:08 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So anyway

+1 on the RBF600, I've been using it for years and it always does its job on the road corse cars.

Up till now I've only read remarks against S.S. brake lines on the ISF. Is it just a bang for your buck thing or is there some other issue?
I would love the hear from some of the guys that go out to the road corse.

Also, is everyone using autobody paint on the calipers?
I asked this in another thread but got no feedback?
I've always powder coated or used high heat paint. Autobody paint gives you the option of endless color choices!

OnesickF good luck and post some pics of the finished product. That matte grey roof sound pretty cool.

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Old 04-12-12, 09:42 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

That sounds great, I got mine done in the factory Porsche yellow and love it. I had red several times in the past and I wanted to try something different. Not sure if it is some type of epoxy paint or what but they told me it would be higher quality results than the factory Brembo finish. They did a great job. I have a photo shoot scheduled for this coming Wednesday and hope the weather cooperates so if it does, I will post up some photos.

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
I'm getting mine done 'brembo yellow' if such color exists but most of you know what color im referring to. I'm also painting my roof matte gray.. Can wait to see the final outcome.

My 08 is only @25K miles but idk if my shop will wanna go the extra mile to flush and replace the fluid so I think I'll just wait another 5K miles.
Old 04-13-12, 06:56 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

I think we're def talking about the same color. My shop also stands by their work 100% and should the paint ever start peeling off they will repaint at no cost. The shop who will work on my car is one of the biggest customization boutiques in LA... If they tear down bugattis and phantoms they can surely work on my F...
Originally Posted by ISFSteve
That sounds great, I got mine done in the factory Porsche yellow and love it. I had red several times in the past and I wanted to try something different. Not sure if it is some type of epoxy paint or what but they told me it would be higher quality results than the factory Brembo finish. They did a great job. I have a photo shoot scheduled for this coming Wednesday and hope the weather cooperates so if it does, I will post up some photos.
Old 04-13-12, 08:07 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I'm sure you saw this in your research, but I'm not sure if you're planning on powdercoating the calipers or using another type of paint process.... Just in case you missed it, powder coating is not reccomended by Brembo for our brakes.... (something to do with the high heat or something to bake the powdercoat..... although this doesn't make a lot of sense to me as don't our brakes get hot as hell esp. at the track?)

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Paint Question